Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Accepting that I need some help to quit.

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    MrsC

Accepting that I need some help to quit.

Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Good morning/afternoon everyone. I have found this site today, and I am reaching out I have been drinking since I was 13, I turn 50 this year.
    I have a wonderful family, a good job and we have finally moved into our own home. So things are great, right?
    Well, no, not really. I drink every Friday. Every. Single. Friday. At least 3/4 of a bottle of scotch. And once I start, I cannot stop. If I don't drink on Friday, you can bet your last dollar I'll be getting drunk on Saturday.
    15-16 years ago, I was drinking a bottle at least 2-3 times a week, in an alchoholic marraige, abusive and lost. I left the marraige, and got my drinking down to once a week, my liver came back to normal levels and life continued.
    Now, I'm finding the patterns are back with a vengance, drunk on the weekends, up until 4am by myself having my own party in the carport, then spending most of the next day being a total couch potato, with no motivation and a lot of regrets.
    I'm tired, I'm so tired of it and I want to stop. My weight is out of control, my smoking is almost 30 a day again ( when I'm at home, I have 10 per day whilst working during the week) my liver is back yelling at me, and I'm constantly exhausted.
    I've never been interested in AA, I cannot accept the whole "higher power" thing, just not me, so I have made an appt with my doc to ask for help, and I'm hoping being in this group will give me the strength to make the changes I know I need to make.
    Thanks for reading
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Re: Accepting that I need some help to quit.

Mon May 10, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi @MrsC,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on writing your first posts today! :) Seems like you've come to the right place to find some support and motivation from others with similar experiences.

I'm really sorry to hear you've been struggling with alcohol. It's great that you have already booked an appointment with your GP, that's definitely the best place to start this journey.

I strongly encourage you to have a look at our Making a change section. You can also speak on the phone for free 24/7 to a counsellor on the following numbers:
    -Australian Capital Territory (02) 6207 9977
    -New South Wales 1800 422 599 (Regional) (02) 9361 8000 (Metropolitan)
    -Northern Territory 1800 131 350
    -Queensland 1800 177 833 (Regional) (07) 3837 5989 (Metropolitan)
    -South Australia 1300 131 340
    -Tasmania 1800 811 994
    -Victoria 1800 888 236 (DirectLine)
    -Western Australia 1800 198 024 (Regional) (08) 9442 5000 (Metropolitan)

We also run weekly activities you might want to join in:
    Monday Meetups
    From 8pm to 10pm ADST, where you can create a routine of chatting to others who understand what you’re going through about your week, how things are going, and what you’re hoping for the week ahead.
    Saturdays:
    - Turning the negative into positive
    -3 things to look forward to
    Sundays:
    -Share your favourites quotes
    -Today I'm grateful for...

Our Peer Support Workers @ScorpionPW and @Craig PW might also have something to share with you about their own recovery journeys.

Please reach out at anytime, we're here for you.
    1 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Re: Accepting that I need some help to quit.

Thu May 13, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi @MrsC

Have you heard of SMART Recovery? SMART stands for Self Management and Recovery Training and I love this program. The meetings aren't just about addiction, they're about helping you achieve a goal each week. Basically everyone goes round in the group and identifies something they want to work on this week. It could be anything..............such as not drinking this Friday night, getting into a better sleeping pattern, needing help preparing for a job interview, how to handle cravings, managing a weekend away with friends............anything. Then the group spend time on each person's goal offering suggestions and helping them explore options. The final round is where you set your goal based on the suggestions and input you received from the group. Then next week you can set a new goal based on whatever else is happening in your life or continue to work on thwe same goal based on what worked and what didn't. I realy like SMART Recovery because it's about looking forwards. Looking at how to work through upcoming difficulties. If AA isn't your thing maybe checking out SMART Recovery would be good?

The group may just be what helps you make the changes you know you need to make and you can help the group with their goals which in my experience feels good.

It sounds like you've been ab;e to establish lenghty periods of time where things have been alright so I'd be asking myself "What's changed?" "What's making me want to drink so often?' "What's different now from 6 months ago?"

What I've found is that as people start to turn things around and start to get on track it's coupled with the added extras such as improved motivation, increased energy levels, better physical and mental health and an improvement in general wellbeing..........the things that you mention struggling with.

I know for me the better I felt, the less I felt the compulsion to act on my addictions.

It sounds like you know what you want and talking to your GP is an awesome place to start. Not enough people talk to their doctor about it..........I wouldn't be where I am today without my GP's support. A good GP can really help in your journey.

If you happen to check out SMART Recovery I'd love to hear what you think and whether it helped. Here's the web address...........https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au.........hopefully you can locate a meeting near you.
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”