Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • I need help with my drinking.

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    Globe

I need help with my drinking.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:30 am

Hello,
    I need help with drinking, but don't know where to start. It's getting to the point where it's affecting my relationship, not only with my partner, but my children.
    I know the drink is killing me, but can't seem to stop. My father passed away due to stomach and liver cancer from drinking when I was young. I dont want to end up like he did.
    I want to kick this addiction, but I feel so lost and have no idea where to start.
    Please help before I lose everything.
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: I need help with my drinking.

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:03 am

hey @Globe welcome to the Forums.

It's really great that you've reached out, sharing your story takes a lot of strength, so good on you. It sounds like you have a really clear motivation to cut down your drinking, and to protect your relationship with your family.

The first thing I want to say is quitting drinking cold turkey can have some side effects, so I would really recommend speaking to a trusted GP to help you set up a safe way to start easing off.

Secondly, is there anything you have tried thus far when it comes to reducing your drinking? You mentioned you feel lost, it can be difficult knowing how or where to start. I'm going to tag some other members who may be able to offer some advice, as well as our peer workers.

@Alvarosyd @Katiee @WildeReformed @Annie2405 @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Minnie mouse @Simply me @Gizelle

Remember, you can always reach out here, we're here to support you.
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”