Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Day 7 abstaining from alcohol!

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    Simply me

Re: Day 7 abstaining from alcohol!

Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:11 pm

Thanks for the affirmation folks. Helps on this voyage....
    So now, just over 12 month markers. Today traveling pretty well, so felt to type a lil...
    The seasons wheel is turning to spring, which is a mood n vibe tonic in itself. Flowers opening, life blossoming n warming up. Trying to immerse myself in bodies of water, get outside, wherever possible....

Working to establish some daily 'meditation' practices, focusing on 'grounding' n 'centering'. Day 5 of 3 week experiment, gotta begin somewhere eh. Connection to the energy available in n of the earth, n building up the inner light/resilience at ones core. Each day varies depending on energy levels or distress. I am not able to simply 'sit' in meditation, my brain goes off. Restlessness still strikes, but I have recorded audio visualisations to help focus, on phone, and laptop. Found mp3s in which the guiding voice and contents hit the spot. Seems can now ad lib a bit, calling up a remembered abbreviated version....

Gotta say, connections to supportive folk who know some of my story, n me theirs indeed, crucial. For a once hermit, this lesson is odd and at times vulnerable making, wound opening, but the belly laughs n sharing of foibles creates a pathway to intimacy it appears. Learning curve, especially where there's trauma in past and trusting can be tricky to navigate....
    That being said, down solitudinal time juggle also needed, I find. Even from my fella. We have two days n nights apart a week. These times simply being n doing our own things builds up the quality of shared spaces. I also simply need quiet, low stimulus input times....

Creativity n crafting is a blessing I count repeatedly. It gives me a sense of worth where I have been unable to 'work' in a formal type situation for many years. All the while I've made stuff, and this has increased with this sobriety. I recently put in an application to have an exhibition at a local community gallery, which I'm excited about! Only took 50 years! Ha! Better late than never I guess. Meeting deadlines, goals, as set by myself, is a relatively new thang, which I find rather satisfying to be on the other end of. Who'd a thought, structure?!

Well, that's probably enough rambling on from me....
    Thanks again... :)
    3 x
    Scamps

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Hey [mention]Simply me[/mention] ,

I've just had a look over the posts starting back 12 months ago, and this is a truly outstanding landmark. Beautiful that we can see your early posts as well as how you are now. You last 'wonderings' are truly beautiful and you seem so very creative in your approach to living without alcohol

CONGRATULATIONS! And keep us in the loop! :D
    1 x
    aliceterme

Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:08 am

After overcoming my addiction, I can't stand the taste of alcohol in any products. It sickens me that little children can taste it as I read an article on how that can be the case of future addiction. The rehabilitation process is challenging, so I don't want anyone going through that, especially the future generations. I did a natural alcohol detox process to help, but when I sometimes it a candy that tastes of alcohol, all the terrible memories come flooding back. Food can sometimes not keep up with all the alcohol you're eating with it, and that isn't good.
    Last edited by aliceterme on Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:26 pm

I can relate to that @aliceterme, I remember I used to think that it actually tasted nice. It's funny how perspectives change and reality lands in so many different ways in recovery.

How long have you been sober for now?
    0 x
    aliceterme

Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:47 pm

ScorpionPW wrote:
    Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:26 pm
    I can relate to that @aliceterme, I remember I used to think that it actually tasted nice. It's funny how perspectives change and reality lands in so many different ways in recovery.

How long have you been sober for now?
    More than 5 years already.
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:28 pm

Wow, that's amazing @aliceterme, that's so inspiring :)

What worked for you and what did you have to do to be able to get on going recovery like that if you don't mind sharing?
    0 x
    Charlie Jo

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:43 pm

What natural detox did you use
    0 x
    Pokitren

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:18 pm

Seven days of abstinence from alcohol? Congratulations! I've been abstinent for three months at the most. Now I'm abstaining again :)
    It's weird to me that they allow alcohol in stores. I heard a psychiatrist say that alcohol is a drug.
    However, the laws in Australia do allow alcohol to be sold....
    I looked it up on the state website https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/how-alcohol-affects-your-health-bp
    It seems to describe it correctly. And while young, it's not all that clear. But as you get older, the effects of alcohol on the body become obvious.
    Last edited by Pokitren on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:12 pm

It’s confusing @Pokitren isn’t it? Alcohol is definitely a drug but it’s just widely accepted and I often think about this subject, especially when it comes to the decriminalisation of drugs. The model in Portugal has been very successful so I wonder why our politicians won’t take the brave step of implementing it here.

Alcohol causes more harms than any other drug and there are actually more deaths contributed to by alcohol that the figures represent due to the way the deaths are recorded. As you say, the long term effects of alcohol become more apparent as we get older and some deaths are recorded as heart failure, liver failure, kidney failure, etc when the real cause of the organ breakdown was alcohol. If the government would consider Portugal’s approach we could all be in a much better space. A basic summary of what they have done is to take all the money that was used in law enforcement, courts, etc and to use it to treat addiction as a health issue. They’ve invested in rehabs, employment, study, etc and focused on the things that keep people trapped in the addiction cycle to help them to create a life of purpose and connection. By taking away stigma people are more likey to seek help and be able to maintain change.

Congratulations on your abstinence again………….3 months is a great achievement from your previous attempts. One day is an amazing achievement. Any period of time is a great effort. How’s your abstinence going at the moment? What changes have you made? How are you maintaining it? Are you maintaining it?

If I can assist in any way let me know. I’m happy to answer questions on all things addiction and recovery and share my experience of the ups and downs I’ve experienced in both. Just tag me in your post and I’ll get back to you when I’m next online.
    1 x
    Pokitren

Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:08 am

@PnorkelPW Thank you for your response. I am really having a hard time coping with my alcohol addiction. But it all comes much easier when my nerves are fine. When they're not, I want to take away this pain of a bad relationship that I'm having a hard time getting rid of. They say to pay less attention to all kinds of bad people, but I get very nervous about bad words and actions directed at me.
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 pm

Sounds about right @Pokitren ...........I know when my emotions were in that nervous and fear based space my urge to drink was strongest. I looked for things that I knew gave me relief and the most effective way I knew was to drink. It was actually all I knew and but the problem was that as my life went on and the drinking increased it stopped working. I needed more alcohol to feel better and I ended up in a space where I was drinking from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep but it just didn't help any more.

When I began this stint of recovery I started to learn new things to help me when things went wrong or I was struggling. I also learnt that over time things do actually get better. I used to think that was all b*ulls#@t but it's true. I learnt that life will always have its ups and downs and nothing I do can prevent bad things from happening or people saying bad things about me. I learnt to get more secure within myself. I learnt that if I started living life by my values........which is not always easy........then I just feel better about myself and the urge to drnk lessens because I'm not stuck in that nervous fear based state

Mindfulness played a big part in helping me get comfortable within myself and I found it was like training to get to know my body. I started to be able to recognise when I was getting heightened, when I was starting to feel uncomfortable and could take action earlier rather than get to the point of drinking. This took time to learn but it's played a major part in my recovery.

The other thing I did that helped was get involved with AA. It was there that I made connections with other people who were struggling with the same problem I was.........they wanted to stop drinking. They helped m understand that time does make a difference and that no mater how big the problem or how bad I felt about myself I didn't need to pick up a drink. It took me a few attempts through AA before I was willing to give it a decent crack but that's the only place I've found where people have been able to bring up days, months, years of sobriety. I met people who gave me their phone numbers and the only thing they wanted was for me to call them if I needed help.

Relationship breakdowns suck...........there'll always be moments where life sucks........... but there are better solutions than drinking. Have you thought of trying AA or SMART Recovery groups so you can meet people and not have to go through this alone?
    0 x
    Pokitren

Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:36 pm

PnorkelPW wrote:
    Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:14 pm
    Sounds about right @Pokitren ...........I know when my emotions were in that nervous and fear based space my urge to drink was strongest. I looked for things that I knew gave me relief and the most effective way I knew was to drink. It was actually all I knew and but the problem was that as my life went on and the drinking increased it stopped working. I needed more alcohol to feel better and I ended up in a space where I was drinking from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to sleep but it just didn't help any more.

When I began this stint of recovery I started to learn new things to help me when things went wrong or I was struggling. I also learnt that over time things do actually get better. I used to think that was all b*ulls#@t but it's true. I learnt that life will always have its ups and downs and nothing I do can prevent bad things from happening or people saying bad things about me. I learnt to get more secure within myself. I learnt that if I started living life by my values........which is not always easy........then I just feel better about myself and the urge to drnk lessens because I'm not stuck in that nervous fear based state

Mindfulness played a big part in helping me get comfortable within myself and I found it was like training to get to know my body. I started to be able to recognise when I was getting heightened, when I was starting to feel uncomfortable and could take action earlier rather than get to the point of drinking. This took time to learn but it's played a major part in my recovery.

The other thing I did that helped was get involved with AA. It was there that I made connections with other people who were struggling with the same problem I was.........they wanted to stop drinking. They helped m understand that time does make a difference and that no mater how big the problem or how bad I felt about myself I didn't need to pick up a drink. It took me a few attempts through AA before I was willing to give it a decent crack but that's the only place I've found where people have been able to bring up days, months, years of sobriety. I met people who gave me their phone numbers and the only thing they wanted was for me to call them if I needed help.

Relationship breakdowns suck...........there'll always be moments where life sucks........... but there are better solutions than drinking. Have you thought of trying AA or SMART Recovery groups so you can meet people and not have to go through this alone?
    @PnorkelPW Thank you :)
    I don't know what AA groups or SMART Recovery are. But I am truly happy for you that there have been people in your life who have given you their phone number just so you can call them when you need help. I thought I had people like that too, and even very close people. But when I really needed help, they just refused to talk to me, and those closest to me told me to solve my problems myself. It was painful, and it was a betrayal, but I got through it.
    I've never had the experience of waking up and drinking right away. Although I did have occasions where I drank for a few days in a row or every other day or two over a long period of time.
    Do you think drinking once a week is alcoholism or acceptable?
    And I agree with you that inner confidence solves a lot of issues. There's a kind of healthy indulgence that is acquired. And some new patterns of thinking and behavior. I know that, and I'm working on it.
    And I would say that my problem is not with the alcoholism itself, but with my goals in life. I've been through so much already, and I'm still not getting a clean slate. And the more inflation eats away at my hard-earned savings, the more my health deteriorates due to aging or stress at work, which are two factors I can't influence.
    I'm sick of this pursuit of happiness. Especially when the goal keeps getting further away instead of standing in one place.
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 pm

@Pokitren AA stands for Alcoholics Anonymous and there are meetings every day, a few times a day.
    https://aatimes.org.au/

SMART Recovery have less frequent meetings and is a group focused on setting weekly goals and working towards them. If you're having trouble working on your goals I'd recommend giving it a try if there's a meeting nearby. The website will help you find out by putting in your postcode
    https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/

Do I think drinking once per week is acceptable?.............That's an interesting question. It wouldn't be for me but maybe it is for you. There are some people who can drink and stop............but I'm not one of those people. If I was to drink today I'd start to think about the next time I would drink and it would become my focus. Drinking would take over my thoughts and I wouldn't be able to control myself. I've proven it time and time again that the only way I can control my drinking is by not drinking at all. For you that might be different. I guess what I'm saying is that the only person who can decide if it's acceptable or not is you.

Some people drink one night per week but go out and destroy themselves until blackout and can do a lot of damage to friendships, relationships and themselves..........is that acceptable? Some people drink one night per week and get pretty drunk but it's all just a bit of fun.............is that acceptable? Some people drink one night per week and there's no issue at all..........is that acceptable??

There are people who drink multiple nights per week who aren't alcoholics. They can start and stop as they please and there is no negative impact on their life. I'm not one of those people. I guess I'd be asking myself the question about whether it's having a negative impact on my life.

As I said I'd recommend checking out SMART Recovery.........maybe you find it helpful, maybe you don't.

Lemme know how you're going and I'm happy to chat for as long as you like and answer any questions or discuss any topic.
    0 x
    Pokitren

Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:20 am

@PnorkelPW Thank you, it's nice chatting with you too. I can see that you are knowledgeable and experienced.
    I've often wondered what harm alcohol does to me, and if I can only have one drink a week without it harming me. I found the answer is that yes, I can.
    But then I had the question: do I want to have any kind of addiction? No, I don't. However, alcohol is such an enticing way to relax that it is very hard to get rid of it. Yes, I know how to relax in a different way, with meditation and trance immersion. However, alcohol works in a different way, and it constantly beckons. I wish I had never started drinking.
    0 x
    TheDees

Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:51 am

Hi @Pokitren its great that you are talking to people here and looking at other ways of feeling good. Music and dance is a great way to do that, I agree with tat feeling of wishing you had never started drinking at all. You are dong great and important to look at what works for you and what doesn't and having realistic goals and expectations for yourself. Keep chatting here and know that you can always get further support if need . :-)
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”