Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Alcohol Addiction & Recovery - New Section

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Alcohol Addiction & Recovery - New Section

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:50 am

Hi everyone,

For ease of navigation we have created a new Alcohol Addiction and Recovery specific section. We want your experience on the forum to be as seamless as possible.

Over the next few days we will be moving existing threads across into this category where you can easily find other stories of alcohol addiction and recovery support.

Feel free to provide us any feedback and we encourage you to post your journey here :)
    0 x
    Mez28

Re: Alcohol Addiction & Recovery - New Section

Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:48 pm

Following. Just tuned back in and found it a bit disorienting. This will be easier thankyou
    3 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:50 pm

Hiya, @Mez28 how's your weekend going so far - let us know how we can best support you on this forum and if there is anything you want to share, please feel free to post here :)
    1 x
    spartan117

Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:00 pm

My use of alcohol has gone up n down over the last few months.

But two things I have definitely honed in on.

1. Going to gym is a great mind hack that compels me to eat healthily and drink less - because there is literally 0 point exercising if I don't eat right and dehydrate the fuck outa myself with poisons like ethonol.

2. The underlying mental health issue of my drinking. Right now I have really low self-esteem, and have an obsessive desire to be liked by everyone / be attractive etc. I need to address this and teach myself how to love myself again, eliminating the need to drink will make getting over my addiction possible.

I still drink regularly and I've got a long way to go yet - but now I really feel like I have the tools to get the job done.
    2 x
    Gizelle

Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:37 am

Hello
    Alcohol is something I rely heavily on when I'm feeling upset, vulnerable, angry, sad, or overwhelmed. I have a fantastic 10 month work assignment which is a dream come true. I'm in the process of sabotaging this by drinking too much. I don't even like drinking! I just have it when I'm in a certain mindframe. It seems to be cyclic. I love waking up refreshed and feeling positive.

Why does the mind trick itself into feeling excited to have a drink of wine when there is so much self awareness that it just isn't worth it eg., hangovers, no energy, depression etc. The slurring of words and lack of coordination when drinking? 3am headaches. Just awful and destructive. How does the mind trick itself in thinking this is good?
    2 x
    pdm411

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:31 pm

Hi @Gizelle
    I often asked my self those very questions but ignored my own answers and drank anyway.
    The mind is a sneaky mofo. I'd be walking past a bottle shop and be like I'm not going to go in, and walk on by, then the little voices start and sure enough on the way home I'd head to a bottle shop.
    The same as you too, I'd be halfway through a bottle of wine and think I'm not even enjoying this, but sure enough 2 or 3 bottles later I'd be asleep.
    And the awareness of what comes after drinking didn't even rate a mention, hurting myself or those around me, depression - drink to become happy = more depressed the next day. It really is a struggle to break that cycle, and my life spiralled downward.
    For me it took a pretty shit life changing night that l created, to force me to finally look at myself and I haven't had a drop or desired a drop for 31 days now.
    Please don't let yourself get to the point in life l did, sounds like you're in a pretty good place work wise, there's some great advice on here to help, you've just got to stop the first drink, get out and go for a walk, gym, call a friend, get out in the garden, have a Milo....
    Good luck with it Gizelle
    3 x
    Gizelle

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:18 pm

Hey pdm411
    Thank you for your heart-warming message of support. The brain is a creature of habit. I guess nurturing the brain through its synaptic pathways of habit into new better pathways takes constant vigilance and patience.

31 days is fantastic. Congratulations

The bottle of wine is still in the fridge:)
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”