Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Feel like I have brain damage

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.

Feel like I have brain damage

Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:15 pm

Have been living in a remote dry community the past 3 years but am finding increasingly that I do not have any feelings, any desire to be around anyone and find it hard to engage in conversations. When ever I am not in a dry zone I will drink until I can't anymore as it Is the only time I have any sensations. I am returning to live in Adelaide soon, have spent a fair bit of the past 3 years sober but am worried about returning home. If my brain hasn't recovered now, I can't image moving to a place where I have unlimited access to alcohol will help.
    I have savings too, last time I had savings I drank a whole house deposit away in a couple of months and got into about 20k of debt from unpaid fines and bills.
    Not sure what I'm posting here for really, I dont talk to people. Just putting this out into the world. Hope everyone is well.
    2 x
    Modra6

Re: Feel like I have brain damage

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:35 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences you've had in the last 3 years.

I wonder if it's worth (if your considering moving back to adelaide), a game plan or safety plan that can assist in managing those desires of accessibility and limited social interaction that are concerning/pondering your thoughts. I wonder if anyone on the forum has any other thoughts/strategies in order to manage this change?.

1988, also have you ever looked at or considered counselling or contacting the confidential helpline. This can be a great starting point commence this gameplan or discuss some of the impacts alcohol has previously had on your life?

Modra6
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am

Hi @1988,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us. Reaching out for support can be daunting, so you've done well and shown courage in coming here and posting what's going on for you.

Your concern regarding moving back to the city is understandable. However, it's great that you're aware the change of scenery might be potentially triggering for you so you can plan ahead and be prepared, as @Modra6 mentioned.

I would highly encourage you to keep at hands the National Alcohol and Other Drug Helpline number 1800250015. You can also speak to our phone counsellors for free 24/7 on the following numbers:
    -Australian Capital Territory (02) 6207 9977
    -New South Wales 1800 422 599 (Regional) (02) 9361 8000 (Metropolitan)
    -Northern Territory 1800 131 350
    -Queensland 1800 177 833 (Regional) (07) 3837 5989 (Metropolitan)
    -South Australia 1300 131 340
    -Tasmania 1800 811 994
    -Victoria 1800 888 236 (DirectLine)
    -Western Australia 1800 198 024 (Regional) (08) 9442 5000 (Metropolitan)

I wonder if you have spoken to your GP about how you are feeling? A GP can assess whether you might benefit from a Mental Health Treatment Plan.

Please know you're not alone, we're here to help. Keep reaching out at anytime.
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us @1988, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and I appreciate you sharing your fears of relapse with us.

I remember the only time I could not end up in the same situation is when I made a clear decision not to pick up again and put things in place to do whatever I could to not pick up for the day. If I ever left it up to chance or enteres an inner dialogue of "will I, won't I" it was an illusion, because won't I didn't exist, I would always pick up if my thinking went there.

Have you ever had any support in your sobriety like from any peer support groups or a counsellor or anything like that?

If you don't go it alone, because you don't have to, you've got a much better chance of not picking up and finding a way to stay sober even once you're somewhere that you have access to booze again.

There's a lot of other online support in 12 step groups, SMART Recovery groups and other kinds of groups as well where you can get support from people who are going through the same thing as you.

I'm wondering if you're open to putting anything in place or trying some kind of support you haven't before to stay sober? And if you would like any information around how to access these supports?
    1 x

Return to “Alcohol”