Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Need ideas to pass time, the urge to not use.

The impact of ICE/Methamphetamine use can be significant and problematic. Join this forum to find support and conversations on changing ICE use and recovery.
    Judas

Re: Need ideas to pass time, the urge to not use.

Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:10 am

Oh that is a real shame @Jazkatz that your old friends won't find the time to reconnect with you. Since becoming abstinent from drugs I have also found it easy to make some new friends who are also sober. I have made quite a few new friends from the gym. I attend a few gym classes each week and my favourites are Zumba and Boxing class. I find these a good outlet to let some of my frustration out that has built up after a long day in the office and I also find that it gives me more energy too. The gym classes have been a great way to meet some of my new friends. Maybe there could be something like this near where you live? :)
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:03 pm

Thanks so much for sharing with us @Jazkatz, it's always a bit of bumpy road at the start and they are some great suggestions by @Judas.

Especially how much making new connections can be so vital in recovery. I found it to be such a lonely road at the start because I knew I couldn't stay close with my friends I had at the time and stay clean, it was no judgement on them it just wouldn't be possible for me.

I found going to peer groups in the community was a great way to find new connections, fill the days in and get support from people who really understand because they were going through the same thing or has gone through it before. I'm wondering if you've tried any support groups before? :)
    0 x
    qboln

Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:00 am

I can't say From past experience (as im hoping to put down the pipe too) but i imagine having a high energy/adrenaline distraction/hobby/ could be beneficial? Fill the void of the high heat rate moments? Heh. Unsure. Seems could help tho..
    Good luck fellow warrior
    1 x

Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:18 pm

Hey there. I totally relate. If i can suggest gardening, but focusing on a specific aspect, perhaps building soil, composting or growing worms - something to get you just as interested in that one specific activity as we can tend to become in the other… you can be out in the elements in your yard, in private, take as long as you need. Worms are fascinating!
    If this helps? I hope so. It worked for me to get from one level to the next.
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:21 am

Hi @31,
    Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing.
    This is a great suggestions. Spending some time in the garden, getting hands dirty is a great way to connect with nature. It can not onlly keep us busy, but also improve our mental health.
    Again, thank you for the advice. Let us know if you need any help or support.
    0 x

Return to “Ice”