Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • I am new here. PLEASE HELP ME

The impact of ICE/Methamphetamine use can be significant and problematic. Join this forum to find support and conversations on changing ICE use and recovery.
    MoodyM00

I am new here. PLEASE HELP ME

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have an ICE addiction. My husband also uses.
    I want and need to quit and start the hard road to sobriety.
    I have been downloading and saving heaps of links/books/websites/etc about addiction and recovery; however recovery options i can find is rehab facilities only. I dont have the luxury of doing that option as i am the sole income earner currently and work active night shifts.
    I need help, suggestions or ideas as to how and what do i do to begin my journey? What strategies have you tried when at the very start??
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: I am new here. PLEASE HELP ME

Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:35 am

heya @MoodyM00 welcome to the forums. I want to start off by saying, good on you for haring your story and reaching out for support, it can be difficult to take that first step and it shows a lot of strength!

You might find it useful to start off by joining a peer support group, such as SMART recovery. It is free and isn't as restrictive timewise as entering rehab. You can read more about it here https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/

I'm going to tag the peer workers just so they can offer some support and advice about how they got started @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:57 pm

Hi @MoodyM00 and thanks for sharing with us. @Lhiver has made a great suggestion with SMAET Recovery and I'd throw NA in there as well https://www.na.org.au/multi/

For me, things started with a trip to my GP to talk about things. A good GP can help guide you through withdrawal but the ultimate would be if you could spend a week in detox. I know you said that rehab isn't an option and it sounds like you've got a bit on your plate with nightshift and responsibilities. Is there any chance of getting a week off??? Being able to create a gap in your use in a supportive environment might be the mini break you need.

Have you tried seeing a drug and alcohol counsellor? They'll be able to work with you and help you find strategies that best suit you.

Can I suggest watching a doco called Pleasure Unwoven...........it's a really great insight into addiction and something that helped me immensely to start to understand why I was stuck on the merry-go-round I just couldn't get off.

I have my experience of addiction and recovery and other people have theirs but if there's one thing I've seen time and time again it's that to make lasting change you need a supportive network. If you could find a helpful GP, a drug and alcohol counsellor and joing SMART Recovery and/or NA then you'd be off to a pretty good start.

If you have any questions or anything else about things I'm more than happy to share, support and help however I can. I'm on the forums to share my experience of addiction and recovery. Just tag me in your post and I'll respond next time I'm online.

I'd love to hear how things are going for you...........and step by step, bit by bit you can reach your goal
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:58 pm

Hi @MoodyM00, thanks so much for reaching out and being so honest and open about what's going on for you. It's so true that alot of people who suffer from addiction don't have the luxury to put their life on hold to seek treatment, its a real challenge but it doesn't mean you can't get support.

Like @PnorkelPW mentioned, NA meetings are a great place to start. In NA the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop so even if you're haven't stopped yet and you want some support from other people who have lived through addiction but are no longer using, are in recovery and who have found a new way to live then it's a great place to start. I'm not sure where abouts you are but here is the link for the NA meetings list in VIC:

https://www.navic.net.au/meetings/

You'll see there are some face to face and some still online.

Here is also the link to SMART Recovery to find meetings online and face to face:

Online: https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/o ... eetings-2/

Face to face: https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/find-meetings/

It is also definitely a great idea to see a GP about how you can manage your withdrawal if you plan to stop without going to detox and how you can get through it with minimal impact to your day to day life.

For me, I had to get some help to detox and get everything out of my system safely but the most important thing was the on going support. The NA meetings made the biggest difference for me, I had to connect with people who understood what I had been through and who gave me hope that a new life is possible. Whether it's counselling, peer support or any other kind of support there is a lot out there, you just need to know how to access it.

If you let us know which state you're in then perhaps we can offer some more specific guidance. Other than that we are always here just to hear where you're at and you can ask @PnorkelPW and I anything you like about our journeys through addiction and recovery.

Hope you continue to reach out and let us know how you're going :)
    1 x
    MoodyM00

Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:51 pm

Thanks so much for suggestions. I have downloaded SMART recovery app and using that.
    I have also signed up for online support sesssions. Im in NSW.
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:57 pm

@MoodyM00 Good on your for downloading the app and signing up for the online sessions! How do you feel having done that?
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:57 pm

No worries at all! That's a great place to start @MoodyM00 :)

Here is a link where you can select what area you're in to find NA meetings close to you:

https://www.na.org.au/multi/meetings-by-service-body/

Let us know how you go and if anything lands for you once you try some groups out, it would be great to know how you're travelling now as well :)
    0 x
    MoodyM00

Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:19 pm

I have had a lapse tonight but had smaller amount then usual. Im not impressed with myself about lapsing.
    My youngest son has mental health problems and is struggling badly currently. There was also major incident at work before i left this morning with a client (i work in supported living with high needs clients).
    I tried multiple things to manage my stress levels and find better alternative but ended up having instead. First lapse since trying to quit. I would have normally had 4 uses by now, so i guess 1 lapse is better then using 4 times.
    1 x
    teapot

Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:18 am

@MoodyM00 remember that lapses are part of the process. You should be so proud of yourself for pulling yourself up so much earlier than you normally would! And good on you for trying different things to manage your stress. It gets easier with practice. Sorry to hear you had such a rough day though, be kind and gentle with yourself ♥
    2 x
    Katiee

Fri May 27, 2022 12:59 am

Well done for reaching out that's definitely the first step. The others here have mentioned some great groups to hook into.

I was a mumma bear and I couldn't go into rehabilitation. So I found a free 12 week drug and alcohol counselling program that did wonders for me. Google what's in your area you will be surprised what's out there!!
    2 x

Return to “Ice”