Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • How do I come down from Ice safely

The impact of ICE/Methamphetamine use can be significant and problematic. Join this forum to find support and conversations on changing ICE use and recovery.
    PocketRocket88

How do I come down from Ice safely

Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:51 pm

I'm a daily methamphetamine user (roughly 2 points a day) and when I'm on it I ten stop be out of my own head which means I tend to not focus on my suicidal ideation and urges...

But once I start coming Off of it, the ideations and urges are unbearable to a point that leads me to making an attempt that almost always ends up in me being in hospital.

I honestly want to atleast start cutting down my use but I don't have the will power to do so and if I do, I often feel unsafe...

Is there a medication that can help me come down or cut down safely, mental wise? All I know that sort off work is Diazepam but my psychiatrist wouldn't probably prescribe it coz of the risk.

So yea Im stuck in between and don't know what to do...
    0 x
    SunflowerSeed
    Community Builder

Re: How do I come down from Ice safely

Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:36 pm

Hi @PocketRocket88 ,
    Welcome to the forum and well done on making the first post.
    Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. And it sounds like you are in a lot of pain.With all this, you've done well in reaching out for help.
    It is good to hear you have a regular psychiatrist and I encourage to talk to the psychiatrist and maybe work out a mental health care plan.

I have emailed you some extra information that might be helpful for you. Check your spam mail folder if you can't find it.
    @ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW
    I have also tagged our peer workers who are on the forum every week. They might be able to provide you with some of their thoughts and tips.

Again, thank you for sharing and well done on seeking help!

We are all here to help you, keep us updated.
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:45 pm

Hi @PocketRocket88, thanks for reaching out and being so open and honest about where you're at.

I think it could be great idea to reach out to a GP and look at getting a referral to detox. If you seek help in the right place with this then you'll get all the information and support you need to detox safely and it's a huge asset that you have the desire to do it in a way that is safe and that is going to work for you.

I know for me, whenever I tried to cut down my drug use or manage it in anyway, detoxing myself with other medication with no guidance it never ended well. It wasn't until I got some help to understand what the risks were, how to do it safely and found the right environment with the right support that I was able to get through a detox without lots of unnecessary pain.

Let us know how you go and if you would like any more info around what supports you can access.

We're also always here if you just wanna touch base and talk about where you're at or what's going on for you :)
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi @PocketRocket88 it sounds like addiction and mental health are feeding off each other and having some major impacts on you.

I'm inclined to go along with @ScorpionPW and ask whether you've considered doing a detox and residential rehab stay? It might be the space you need to get on top. I did a 3 month rehab and I think the thing I enjoyed most was being able to shut out the outside world and just concentrate on me for a while. There are also some dual diagnosis rehabs around where you can work on your mental health and addiction stuff together.

I'd recommend getting in touch with a drug and alcohol counsellor to talk about what options are available to you. Maybe even just doing some counselling sessions will help you identify some strategies to use. I wouldn't be where I am now without that time in rehab............thoughts???
    1 x
    PocketRocket88

Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:34 pm

Hello!

I’ve been to 4 rehabs and numerous medically supervised detox’s. I always get kicked out of the rehabs I was in 3 out of 4 rehabs was around the3rd mark and the last one I was in was around the 4th month mark… I always get discharged because of me being such a high suicide risk… one of the rehab I went to was Grow even them had to discharge me coz of my suicidal ideations and urges. The last one I was in,I had more scars when I left than wen I came in with… All of them are suppose to be ‘Dual Diagnosis rehabs’ and yet they couldn’t seem to help me… hence why I actually don’t trust or have faith in rehabs after what I’ve been thru… Almost always when I get discharged I get back into it as what I’ve said in my post, it’s the only way I can keep myself safe and it has become my coping strategy to anything that I can’t deal/cope with the healthy normal way… it seemed that rehab is not the place for me but community based one wouldn’t be either coz I’ve lied so much thru the years that it’s almost like it’s a part of me which means I’ll easily lie to my teeth if I feel that I have to. I notice that when I’m off of it for awhile the ideations and urges are terrible and constant to a point that it becomes harder to resist it…

So if anyone know any place that can truly help and support me specially when I become too complicated for them to handle and that will not give up on me unless there’s nothing else we can do…
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:26 pm

Hey @PocketRocket88 ...............it sounds like you're doing everything you can to try and get on top of this

Sometimes these things can be "chicken and egg" as to trying to treat the addiction before other things have been sorted but they play off each other and it's hard to tell which one needs attention first. I'm hesitant to suggest anything because I feel like you've probably tried many treatments for the self harm and as you've said you've done a number of rehabs. I'm just wondering whether working with someone to get on top of the self harm first and then further down the track when things working more on the addiction side of things has been something you've tried or thought about??? It's a long process but I'm wondering if playing the long game with a specific goal in mind of working on the self harm first and knowing that you'll be working on the addiction at a later stage might help??

Forgive me if it's something you have tried and I'm just regurgitating things everyone else has said along the way. You are the expert in your situation and your journey...........I guess .I'm just trying to explore it with you as someone who doesn't know you.
    0 x

Return to “Ice”