Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Ice Addiction & Recovery - New Section

The impact of ICE/Methamphetamine use can be significant and problematic. Join this forum to find support and conversations on changing ICE use and recovery.
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Ice Addiction & Recovery - New Section

Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:52 am

Hi everyone,

For ease of navigation we have created a new Ice Addiction and Recovery specific section. We want your experience on the forum to be as seamless as possible.

Over the next few days we will be moving existing threads across into this category where you can easily find other stories of Ice addiction and recovery support.

Feel free to provide us any feedback and we encourage you to post your journey here :)
    1 x
    apples123

Re: Ice Addiction & Recovery - New Section

Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:09 pm

Hello

It's been 560 days since I stopped using and to be really honest I miss it. So much. Just the rush, the energy, the focus... but not the come down or needing it... I don't miss that.

Anyone else?
    1 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:47 pm

Really liking the honesty here @apples123 - it would be good to hear other experiences too (Ps loved the poem under the thread of 'to the loved ones of an addict') :)
    1 x
    Katiee

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:53 am

I’m just over 2 years in and I miss it every now and then. I definitely don’t miss the com down or the chase, but every now and then I’ll think about that life. Just have to try and refocus our thoughts to the future and working on a better future for ourselves
    3 x
    TheDees

Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi @apples123,

How are you going? Been wondering about you since your last post.
    1 x
    TheDees

Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:01 pm

Wow @Katiee, 2 years clean is such a great accomplishment! Congratulations!

Do you find it progressively easier to get through those thoughts? Thank you for sharing this advice, I'm sure many will find it useful and encouraging.
    0 x
    Katiee

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:36 pm

@TheDees

It definitely has gotten easier over time. In the midst of a craving though it can feel intense, but I’m using the tools I’ve learned along the way to help me with that (deep breaths, grounding exercise, distraction) to help me get through them so even if they are there they certainly aren’t as intense as it was in the beginning. As the months progress on it gets easier and easier I reckon. And for me the cravings are definitely less now then when I first started. I just want to say for those in early recovery, don’t give up, I know it can seem very difficult to push part the crappy feelings but keep trying to focus on your future and what it could look like now. “I’m not saying it’s going to be easy, but it will be worth it”
    1 x
    TheDees

Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:53 pm

That's awesome @Katiee. Its very inspiring to read that. Sounds like you're a very smart, resilient and insightful person. I'm really glad to hear you've pushed yourself through this far, and very grateful for your contributions to the forum. :)
    1 x
    apples123

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:16 pm

Hi @TheDees

I am doing OK. I have learnt a new word today - and its really hit the nail on the head for me these past few months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/well ... =url-share

Languishing is a sense of stagnation and emptiness. It feels as if you’re muddling through your days, looking at your life through a foggy windshield. And it might be the dominant emotion of 2021.

I am proud of myself for being clean now for 621 days but also feel blah....

I need some energy, an interest, a new challenge if that makes sense. But I also need to want that change and right now im in between that - therefore I am languishing.

:)
    1 x
    TheDees

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Hey @apples123,

So nice to read you again, and congratulations on getting to 621 days clean! That's a massive accomplishment. :)

Ha, thank you for that. I've too learned a new word today thanks to you. Very interesting, and a great insight as to how you're feeling. Sounds like you've been giving it a really good thought. I think the 'blah' or 'languishing' is a common phenomenon in recovery. It's part of the mind and body readjusting to a normal 'basal state', if that makes sense. However, I'm curious, does the 'blah' or 'languish' sensation something that is bothering you or are you just observing and analysing it?

It's great that you're starting to think of activities. For many people exercise is a good option. I'm not really the gym type, so for me its dancing. But you know, we're all different. Could be learning a new language, for example. Do you have any passions or is there any sort of activity you'd like to pursue?
    0 x

Return to “Ice”