Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • I'm about to to quit Ice

The impact of ICE/Methamphetamine use can be significant and problematic. Join this forum to find support and conversations on changing ICE use and recovery.
    Opdno47

I'm about to to quit Ice

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:17 pm

Hey everyone in about to give my Ice addiction. I have used illicted drugs for 30 years and looking for advice and people that have successfully given it up. Looking to meet new people and get rid of the old crowd
    4 x
    Tryingeveryday

Re: I'm about to to quit Ice

Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:34 pm

First of all, well done. The only way you can begin to get out of this is by knowing there's a problem and that you deserve a better life.

I can't give advice on quitting ice, however I was addicted to cocaine. I was extremely young, selfish and naive about who my friends were and completely lost in where I should be in life.
    A big issue for me was keeping secrets from my family, this kept eating away at my mental health as I was constantly paranoid. Them finding out was the scariest moment of my life, but if they hadn't I probably wouldn't be alive today.
    Tell someone you know that you don't want to let down, they need to be someone who doesn't use.

I deleted all the contacts from my phone of 'friends' I knew that always had drugs available. Mum took my phone from me for about a month and I was limited to time on social media. We went away for one weekend and I found something else to do other than to sit on my phone and that helped mentally as I wasn't seeing people out partying and having fun.

Talk to a councillor, be 100% open and honest with them - they dont judge and if they do you need to find a new and better psychologist.
    Write down some reasons as to why you're quitting and goals you want to achieve.
    Then take notice to how ice will affect these goals and set you back further from where you want to be.

Cut all ties with people that bring you down, people that use, people that tempt you into using etc.
    Set a goal of one week, then two, then one month, then 3...keep these small patterns up and reward yourself with something small - something you enjoy doing. Go to the beach, go fishing, go golfing, go bowling. Any small achievement should be celebrated as its so damn hard to get there in the first place.

Before you know it you'll be at 6 months clean, then one year and so on.

If you slip up, don't get too hard on yourself. Recognise what made you slip, write down what happened, how it made you feel and move on. Some nights were really dark for me and I still get them. Not so much with the slip ups anymore, but the mentality of 'why would I ever get sucked into this in the first place', 'i should've been smart enough with the people I was around to know better'...and many dark thoughts that consumed me and broke me.

Well done for joining this group, you've got this!
    5 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:30 am

hey @Opdno47 Welcome to the Counselling Online Community!

I just want to start off by saying it's great that you've taken this step. It can be really difficult to reach out, so good on you for doing so, it takes strength!

@Tryingeveryday has some really great words of wisdom there. It can be difficult to get away from those old connections but it seems like you know that's the best course of action for you right now. You might find it useful to check out our thread on Shame and Guilt and the importance of Hobbies in Recovery.

Likewise, talking to a counsellor is great advice, and so is focusing on your goals and thinking about the impact ice is having on them. You might find it useful to try the Goal Setting Module, to help you develop some goals related to cutting down your ice use.

Do you have any strategies in place right now to help you in these early days?

I'm going to tag the peer workers and some other members, as they have some great advice as well!

@ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW @Katiee @initae89 @CRAZYGRANNY @requiem4me
    3 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks for opening up @Opdno47, it takes a lot of courage and it's not easy to find a new way to live after a long time in addiction but it is absolutely doable and you're certainly not alone.

@Tryingeveryday has some great advice aswell!

For me, after trying so many different things to stop using it was ultimately getting support from other people who had been through similar things that gave me the hope I needed to believe recovery was possible for me. I tried counselling, psychologists, multiple detoxes and attempting to control my substance use in every way I could think of. After ending up in the same place over and over and over again no matter what I tried I realised I couldn't safely or successfully use anything. It was then that I was open to get support from other people in recovery and 12 step groups really helped me in a way that worked better than anything I had tried before. Meeting people who were in recovery, who had actually been through similar things as me, but who had found freedom from addiction and were living joyous happy and free lives gave me a hope I never had before. Plus they could show me the way...

I'm wondering if you've reached out anywhere else for support or ever tried any kind of peer support group before?
    4 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi @Opdno47 and it's great to have you on the forums..........I hope you keep sharing with us and find some of the support you're looking for

You've had some great advice given so far and I don't know what more I can add

@Tryingeveryday has contributed an amazing share with some great tips............I know the tips in there have worked for many, many people in the past

@Lhiver and @ScorpionPW have left some brilliant advice too

Just take it easy and don't expect to get it right straight away. Get some supports in place and learn from your mistakes along the way. Some things will work.........some won't. Only way to find out is to try them and keep moving forwards even if you take a step backwards.

A GP, psych, drug and alcohol counsellor, 12 step fellowship like NA or even a group called SMART Recovery can all help share the load with you and support you along the way.

It'd be great to hear how you're doing and if you need any support or have any more questions don't hesitate to tag us
    2 x
    Opdno47

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:47 pm

Hi I'm looking for services that will not be judgmental or tell me lived experience is all on my head. All I want to do is find a service who will let me share my lived experience openly and honestly. I want to share my journey and story
    0 x
    Tryingeveryday

Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:25 pm

@Opdno47

For services without judgement, just a few days ago I went to my regular doctors clinic. My normal doctor is off on leave so I asked to speak to another female doctor that I had met before and knew she was kind and cared.

I had a huge anxiety attack on my way as I was embarrassed, ashamed, anxious as to what she was going to think of me (i saw a doctor when I was younger with my parents about my first time doing drugs - they found out. The doctor basically told me I was a young dumb kid who did something terrible and spoke to my parents like I wasn't there. Put me on extremely strong anti depressants that made me feel like I was off my head and sick everyday).

Going to a Doctor this time that I knew was a bit more caring made it easier, still nerve racking nevertheless. I walked in and started to tell her how bad my hay fever has been before I broke down and told her about my drug history, how much regret I have and so on.
    She made me feel so, so, so much better that I then couldn't stop crying because I finally felt like someone cared and it was off my chest.

She explained to me that asking for help is truly the hardest part and thats what makes you stronger than anyone else because you acknowledge that you want to be better. She said there is a lot of blame I'm putting on myself that isn't necessary and advised me to speak to a psychologist and is currently helping me pair up with someone.
    I have gone on a low dose of anti-anxiety tablets as well which I haven't had any bad side effects from so far.

Your GP will point you in the right direction or depending on where you are as well - my local hospital has a drug and alcohol centre that is free and you go in yourself, they do an assessment, ask questions and can help you while you're still battling an addiction. Whether its coming off the drugs, detoxing or coping mentally...thats what really helped me stop for good 4 years ago.

Fearing judgement is the hardest part for everyone I have found so please know you're not alone in this and you should be proud that you're on this website to begin with.
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 pm

hey @Opdno47 and @Tryingeveryday I wanted to see how both of you are going at the moment?
    0 x

Return to “Ice”