Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • HOW TO STOP THE CRAVINGS

The impact of ICE/Methamphetamine use can be significant and problematic. Join this forum to find support and conversations on changing ICE use and recovery.
    Ai1985

HOW TO STOP THE CRAVINGS

Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:04 am

Anyone out there have a suggestion to help get through the cravings?
    Iv tried all sorts, like hide my phone so i can't txt or call anyone, go for a walk.

What helps you ?
    1 x
    Judas

Re: HOW TO STOP THE CRAVINGS

Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:02 pm

Hi Ai1985,

Some things that I've found really help with cravings are:

1. Working out at the gym. Gives me a natural high of sorts and makes me feel good.
    2. Meeting up with friends who are sober.
    3. Playing video games to help pass the time.

Hope these tips help a bit and best wishes for your journey.
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Re: HOW TO STOP THE CRAVINGS

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:30 pm

Hi @Ai1985, I know it's been a while since you posted but I just thought I'd touch base and see how things are going.

I remember the early days, sometimes the only thing that would get me through a craving was chunking it down, sometimes even to five minutes at a time. Just making a commitment to not pick up for the day no matter what and then break that decision down to smaller time frames if it was a particularly challenging day. Also going to meetings, having people around me and that I could call who were also in recovery and just trying to stay clean from one meeting to the next really helped me. Making new connections, going out for coffee after meetings, trying to fill my days with recovery focussed stuff so bit by bit there was more to fall back on if I was really struggling if that makes sense?

Sometime it could be something really simple like cranking some music or having a bath as well. For me it was important to acknowledge that some days were just going to be really tough and to not run from that. To lean into it, accept it and do what I could to not give in when it was tough. It was also true that overtime, the more I didn't give in and got through times I never could before without picking up, the easier it got.

I hope you continue to reach out on the forums and remember, we're always here if you wanna touch base :)
    0 x

Return to “Ice”