Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Why do you want change?

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    Minnie mouse

Re: Why do you want change?

Tue May 18, 2021 10:51 am

Result will be sent to work and HR having a phone appointment with GP this arvo, so gotta wait for their decision on process of return to work. I think/hope they will make a quick decision, probably be on daily testing for a while which is fine. Keeping my job is a good incentive for me to stay clean. I will keep saying thank you to you guys for the support you have given me, and will keep you updated on the work situation. I was sooo happy this morning I gave my doctor a hug.
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue May 18, 2021 11:20 am

@Minnie mouse 100% keeping your job is a fantastic incentive! I'm really happy to hear that this space has been useful, but you're the one who has been putting in the hard yards so be proud of yourself! Please do keep us updated :D
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu May 20, 2021 9:35 am

You hit the nail on the head @Craig PW, Acceptance!

Accepting the reality and not trying to fight it made detoxing so much easier for me...just surrendering to the fact that I'd ended up where I did and that I wasn't gonna try to control it or convince myself that I had it all figured out. That real moment of knowing I needed help and my way of doing things just kept ending me up in the same lonely, isolated, sick and volatile state.

I've always found it interesting that most of the time, we won't make a decision to change until we are so beaten by everything that we feel we don't have any other choice. I can look back and see how much easier certain things would have been if I had come to that place of acceptance earlier. Now I carry that through and can live in a way that is much more open minded and where I can make decisions to change things before reaching the bitter end of a certain pattern of behaviour or way of thinking. What's been your experience with acceptance in recovery @Craig PW?

That's such good news @Minnie mouse! I think it just goes to show it's amazing what can happen when you get the courage to be honest and do the next right thing. I'm so happy that things are looking up at work for you :)
    0 x
    Minnie mouse

Thu May 20, 2021 4:27 pm

@ScorpionPW @Craig PW Just got a call from HR at my work😊Starting back on Monday morning. I am totally stoked 😊Thank you all again so much for the support and advice. I will be seeing my psychologist again in 2 weeks and then GP to get a mental health plan in place. And also continue to drop in here from time to time just to say hi and let you know how I'm going, xxx🙏
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu May 20, 2021 5:08 pm

@Minnie mouse That's great to hear you're back on Monday! I'm so happy that you've found the forum useful, it's also great to hear you're getting a mental health plan in place. You should be so proud of yourself! Keep us updated with how it is being back!! :D
    1 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu May 20, 2021 8:36 pm

That's rad @Minnie mouse !!!

The result, the connection with GP, HR returning you to work...........all of it!!!

Thanks for keeping us posted.........this is the stuff that honestly gives me a boost!! I've had a really busy day and have been a bit stuck in my head thinking about me, me, me................hearing this bloody fantastic news has really flicked a switch for me and I'm absolutely stoked for you!!

I'm even more stoked to hear that you're not just stopping at this point..........that you've got more appointments booked ahead to help you keep moving forwards. Keep making the necessary appointments and doing whatever you need to do to look after yourself.

One foot in front of the other............and please keep checking in.........if you need support we're here............and DirectLine is on 1800 888 236 to speak to someone 24hours a day

Thank you!!
    1 x
    Minnie mouse

Fri May 21, 2021 7:24 am

@Craig PW Thanks Craig, Since taking the cannabis blanket off and talking to my psychologist I've realized why I was using. I have a lot of issues with trauma from the past which I really need to work through. It's time I learned some new coping strategies without turning to the weed. Old dogs can learn new tricks 😁🐶
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Fri May 21, 2021 9:14 am

Woohoo! That's such great news @Minnie mouse :D

It's been such a privilege to witness the journey you've shared with us, what you've realised and how things are looking very different than when you first logged on and started reaching out on here.

Old dogs can learn new tricks indeed! Recovery is possible, always.

Look forward to hearing how you progress from here :)
    2 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun May 30, 2021 6:05 pm

Hey @Scotland123, thought you might like to read this thread.
    0 x

Return to “Peers for Peers”