Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • What does recovery mean for you?

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

What does recovery mean for you?

Fri May 21, 2021 11:16 am

For a long time I was told that 'you're not in recovery unless you're completely abstinent'. It did end up being true for me that I was not able to achieve any significant changes or move towards a different way of living until I made the decision to stop trying to control my substance use and accepted that I needed to be completely abstinent. But this is not true for everybody!

I've met a number of people now who had a substance abuse problem but through getting the kind of help that allowed them to work through the underlying issues that led them to use substances the way they did, were able to develop a new, more healthy relationship with substance use.

I have also met people who believe that the idea of complete abstinence is just too big of a pill to swallow and is just too much of an overwhelming concept to consider, but who have managed to improve certain areas of their lives and health through practising harm minimisation.

The main point I'm getting at is that recovery is such an individual thing, it's as individual as our fingerprints. I heard somebody say in an AA meeting once 'What gets me sober might get you drunk and what gets me drunk might get you sober' and that's always stuck with me.

I have grown to believe that recovery is just meaningful life change which can take a lot of different forms and be defined in a lot of different ways.

It would be great to hear from people about what meaningful life change you are working towards and what recovery looks like for you?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: What does recovery mean for you?

Sat May 29, 2021 1:53 pm

Thank you so much for this @ScorpionPW recovery is such an individual thing, and no one can tell you how your recovery should look! I''d love to hear what recovery looks like for some of our members? @ritch , @Katiee , @pdm411 , and @Alvarosyd
    1 x
    Alvarosyd

Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 pm

To me recovery is being able to be in charge of my life and most importantly in charge of my mental health and know that alcohol won’t solve my issues !

It means a better relationship with my friends and partners, and happier days overall!

I’m looking forward to having this as my new normal!
    3 x
    teapot

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:46 am

Congratulations on the beginning of your new normal, @Alvarosyd , it sounds like you really value your relationships with your friends, your family and yourself and these changes will help you to live more in line with those values <3
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:12 pm

I love how simple this is @Alvarosyd. The fact that you can visualise that getting in control of your life and improving your relationships as a new normal is fantastic.

It took me a long time of figuring out what won't work to figure out what will work in my recovery to be able to begin to turn what I visualised my life to look like without drugs into my reality.

I'm wondering where you're at in your journey now and what you're doing to work towards this 'new normal'?
    0 x
    Katiee

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:35 pm

Recovery for me looks like having a clean period. Gaining part time employment. Also in the process of getting my children back. Maintaining stable housing.
    1 x
    Alvarosyd

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:42 pm

@ScorpionPW lately I have been working slowly but surely on making sure that my partner and friends know that if I am having withdrawal symptoms that it is just temporary and that craving will go away. They have been very supportive. They put on a good TV show I like or show me something that will make me laugh. It’s been working great. Every morning I wake up and I go to pilates, and am grateful for all that I have surrounding me! Exercise has been a great friend!
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 am

That's great to hear that your partner and friends are so supportive @Alvarosyd and that you're not going through it alone :)

Ohh absolutely! Exercise is the best natural mood stabiliser and it's great that it's working for you.

Thank you for continuing to share your journey with us. I hope to continue to hear how you go with things.

All the best, stay safe over the weekend and remember we're always here if you want to reach out :D
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:50 pm

What I love most about what you said in this @Alvarosyd is that you shared your struggle with your partner and friends so that they can help you when you're struggling. Too many people try to hide that stuff and it just makes life soooo hard. This is probably one of my top tips...........share the struggle. The more you fight it and keep it to yourself the stronger it gets. As soon as you share it, let other people help and let them sit with you while you surf the wave life gets easier.

People can only help if you let them........and they only know how by sharing with them
    1 x

Return to “Peers for Peers”