Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Questions???

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Questions???

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Questions

So @ScorpionPW and I are here a couple of times a week surfing the forums looking to respond to your contributions. What we want to know though is what are your questions? There must be a reason you logged on to the forums?
    Help us make this more interactive and relevant for you and remember………there’s no such thing as a stupid question.

So over to you……….ask us anything about addiction and recovery or whatever else is on your mind

@Bamboo [facilitator] , @Lhiver , @Peace Dove ..……….I wonder if you could tag a few members into this thread............especially new members as they sign up. It might help get some conversation/information flowing
    3 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: Questions???

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:05 pm

This is a great idea @PnorkelPW

Maybe some of our newer members @zero_alcohol , @Mmm123 , @Girl_1479 @maximus21 @KSS_ @Spankypompay @ritch do you guys have any questions for our peerworkers?
    1 x
    Katiee

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:14 pm

What keeps you guys in recovery and not using again?
    2 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:37 pm

This is an excellent question @Katiee for @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW. :)
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks for the question @Katiee

There's a few things that keep me in recovery but the main themes are where I might end up again if I do use and what I've got to lose if I do. I'm also really lucky that I work in Drug and Alcohol these days too. Every day is a reminder of how hard is is to get to where I am right now.

Active addiction took me to places I never thought possible and recovery has given me experiences I never thought possible. At nearly 40 years of age I finally started to understand what life has to offer and where it might lead. I'm really fortunate that I've been able to repair some relationships with friends and family and I'd lose those again very quickly if I picked up.

Life is a whole lot simpler and I don't want the chaos back. When the thought of using enters my mind I can play the tape..........I imagine where it would lead if I did and where it would lead is not a pretty picture. Alone, isolated and hopeless.........I never want to feel that way again. A bad day in recovery is better than my best day in active addiction.

And of course.............my journal stops me picking up again
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:34 pm

I really appreciate the question, it's so simple and easy to overlook at times :)

I love the person I am and the life I have today and that is only because I'm in recovery.

I'm a full time single father, I work full time in a job I absolutely love, I have lasting, authentic and loving relationships in my life, I have passions that I'm able to pursue, I am happy and content most of the time...All of these things are gifts of recovery and if I picked up I have no doubt in my mind that the obsession and compulsion to use would begin again and I would lose all of these things one by one.

A way it was put to me was "addiction is giving up one thing for everything and recovery is giving up one thing for everything" and that's been so true for me.

There is just too much to lose and what I have in my life today is worth so, so much more to me than anything any substance gave me.

It's nice to be able to reflect on this so thanks @Katiee, it would be great to hear what keeps you in recovery too?
    2 x

Return to “Peers for Peers”