Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • What value is in your story?

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

What value is in your story?

Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:57 pm

One thing that has really stuck out to me and changed the way I view my addiction has been seeing how sharing my story of addiction and recovery can help other people.

Whether it's somebody seeking change, somebody who doesn't even have a problem with substances or somebody who just wants to talk to somebody who understands without necessarily trying to fix or change anything I have seen the positive impact it has.

This has helped me be grateful that I've lived through what I have and turned a really negative part of my past into a great asset.

I'm curious to know other people's experiences sharing their journeys and experiences with others?

What have these times been like?

Has it helped you view your addiction differently?
    4 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: What value is in your story?

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Great topic @ScorpionPW

I connected with other people’s stories and it inspired me to chase recovery harder. It showed me that recovery was possible because if they got through then maybe, just maybe I could too.

Sometimes I think I share too much but I just want people to know that they’re not alone. I hope that by sharing as many details as I do it will help break the stigma and shame that goes with addiction. I hope it helps other people to voice what is actually happening for them rather than what they think people want to hear from them. Hearing other people do that paved the way for me. Suddenly I didn’t feel as alone and that my story wasn’t as bad as my head made it out to be.

I encourage everyone to share whatever you’re comfortable sharing. There is value in your story. There is hope that others can find from your struggles. Start small and I hope you discover the benefits which then leads to helping others.

I'd love to hear from others as t how sharing has helped them
    3 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:40 pm

It's great to hear how hearing other peoples stories gave you hope @PnorkelPW.

I think you have a great message to share, a journey with so much growth and knowing the bits of your story that I do has given me great hope in a number of ways.

I really admire how authentic you are when you're sharing what's happening for you. Something I think we could all learn to tap into.

You're so right in how sharing out stories with eachother helps to normalise things and put things into perspective. Helps to not make mountains out of mole hills and keep pushing forward, even if there's slips and trips along the way.

I hope to hear the value that others have gotten from sharing with their peers :)
    2 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:35 pm

Thank you @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW for touching this topic and for being so honest in sharing your own journeys with everyone on here. And I also want to thank all of the courageous members that have shared their stories on the forums. The more we talk about the issues regarding substance use and the journey of recovery, as you've both pointed out, the more we normalise it and also decrease the shame, guilt and stigma that surrounds substance use and abuse. So thank you all for contributing to doing exactly that. I'm going to share bellow a post in our blog about the story of one of our peer workers. This piece is very powerful because it gives hope to everyone that wants to Make a Change. The post has been very engaging in our social media, so hopefully the folks in this community will also get something positive for themselves by having a read at it:

Peer support worker profile: Eddie

I'm going to tag a few of the members on here that might want to join this conversation and share their thoughts on it or lived-experiences: @Katiee, @Simply me, @Alvarosyd, @UltraViolet, @WildeReformed, @JR78, @Minnie mouse, @Gizelle, @apples123, @Downward.Dingo, @Bltoop, @EtherealAngel111, @Lilli350, @Senna, @Ritchie, @CatMumofone, @ProvUnitV, @Lyngne, @Missy13, @f00lish04, @MRJames000, @Scotland123, @Renae38, @Rob123, @sadpomoich, @Strugglingmethaddict, @1988, @Haleth, @Deyfhob, @Exfitspo, @HeitaWoorb, @Thatcrazycracker, @Misato
    1 x
    Alvarosyd

Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:19 am

That’s such a great topic.

For me, the most important message I like to tell others is that help is usually there if you really want it. You shouldn’t be embarrassed to ask for support when you hit the bottom.

Now I look back and I know I should have spoken about my addiction to those next to me who could see I was struggling!
    3 x
    OceanSky

Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:00 am

I think connection, support and knowing that other people are going though similar is what helps me most through recovery.
    1 x

Return to “Peers for Peers: A space for connecting to others and our peer workers”