Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • It's ok to embrace the struggle

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

It's ok to embrace the struggle

Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:44 pm

It's been one of those weeks...everything has just been slowly building up in my personal life and with all the restrictions and lockdown extending, working from home, feeling a little more isolated and anxious as each day passes.

It's a time where I have lost one of the people closest to me, for now at least at a time where I'm craving connection more than ever. It's the first time I've lived alone and worked from home 100% of the time during this whole pandemic.

I am really empathising with what people have been going through since early last year, actually really feeling the affects of all of this on my mental health for the first time.

In saying all of this, there is all of these things that I know I could be doing to improve my outlook, anxiety, lethargy and stress. I could be eating healthier, exercising, getting more sleep and generally practicing self care much more than I am. There's this feeling that I know all of that would help logically but it's difficult to connect with the willingness to action these things. Although, as each day passes I feel closer to starting healthier practices, it seems to always be the way that I procrastinate life improvement until I simply can't get away with it anymore. I know it's coming soon.

I also know, from my own experiences time and time again that on the other side of struggles like this is always something new, something spectacular that I can't conceive right now. Whenever I do the next right thing, put one foot in front of the other and hand over the outcome I'm always taken care of and always end up exactly where I need to. And that has happened consistently from early days of recovery to now being over 12 years clean.

All of this teaches me to embrace the struggle, even if I can't feel it right now, and it feels really hard I just know that everything will be ok.

I thought I would take the opportunity to really open up about this, reflect and see if anybody else is struggling in any similar ways or if this is weighing heavy on anybody else at the moment?
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: It's ok to embrace the struggle

Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:01 am

@ScorpionPW I really like this. You've summed up how difficult this time can be, I'm sorry to hear you've lost someone close to you. I hope that you are able to find support and connection at this time. I know that online connection isn't the same as such, but we're all here for you.

You've really highlighted the fact that getting into healthier practices takes time, and is something that it is important to recognise the struggle and be kind to yourself. Especially when we're isolated from others so much more. It's really easy to say "I know what I need to do differently" but putting it into practice is a totally other beast. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time has been the approach I've also taken right now, and I'm sure is how many people are making this manageable.

Thank you so much for opening up like this, I'm sure that others, like myself, will be able to relate a lot to what you're saying.

@Ritchie @Senna @Bltoop @Lilli350 @the21stnight @Beau-jerome @apples123 @Mishelly76 @UltraViolet @WildeReformed @Katiee
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:58 pm

Thanks @Lhiver, I appreciate your kind words and you're totally right, one day at a time is all we've got really. It's actually a concept that brings me a lot of peace, chunking things down and just looking at what is in front of me right now without worrying about anything else. I can worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

It would be great to hear if anything resonates for anybody else or if anyone wants to share anything that they're struggling with at the moment?
    2 x
    BonsaiBeginner

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Today was a big struggle. I had an important online interview that could change my career. The emotional distress started building yesterday and even though I slept normally I was woke up on the verge of tears and barely managed to keep it together. I did yoga and managed to get into meditation afterwards but then was unable to stop the tears while preparing for my interview. I just felt completely inadequate. I have been feeling like this often lately and I tell myself it is time to get a GP appointment and get back on my antidepressants.
    After the interview I was so worked up that all I could think if was having a drink to relax. Instead I went for a walk. It helped, it always does. But every time I tried to get on with working from home the tears and feelings of hopelessness would start again. I decided on a nap with a podcast then got a call from a colleague. That helped, chatting to a friend who values my support in the workplace. I cooked a healthy lunch for middle daughter and I. I did bits and pieces of work and uni all afternoon but was still thinking of a drink. But I made it to cooking dinner and now that I've eaten the urge is gone.
    Tomorrow is a new day.
    2 x
    CaptainKirk

Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Hi @BonsaiBeginner
    Thanks for your post and being open about your feelings on what has been a huge day for you. Maybe there has been a lot of vulnerability about life changes and so much building up in the lead up to the interview? Its a very big deal to confront the fears, and challenge some probably well established ideas about yourself. Yet you got through. You made it.. one step at a time. :)
    1 x
    OceanSky

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 am

Yep I can relate to this. Being isolated and alone it’s so easy to slip back to old habits! I’m hoping I can find connection and encouragement in these forums to stay on track. 🤞
    2 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:37 pm

Hi @OceanSky, I know it's been a while since you posted but I just thought I'd touch base, see how you're going and say hi :)

Have you managed to find some connection or anything that's helped you along the way? Or if not, remember we're always here to chat whatever is happening for you.
    0 x

Return to “Peers for Peers: A space for connecting to others and our peer workers”