Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Looking for a Mentor

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    PhoenixBlack

Looking for a Mentor

Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Hi, I’m in desperate need of a mentor who has been through this all with alcohol addiction who can help.
    all the doctors and counsellers I’ve seen don’t seem to help does anyone know where I can find a mentor either via phone or in person I live in Ipswich qld.
    1 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Re: Looking for a Mentor

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:57 am

Hi @PhoenixBlack,
    Welcome to the forums!
    In this space you can connect with our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW, who are able to share their lived-experience with you. I would highly recommend joining Monday Meetup from 8 pm to 10 pm so you can chat live with them. Another alternative, if you would be interested in a peer support group, SMART Recovery runs meetings both online and in person. In terms of a mentor, have you tried AA? I'm not sure if by mentor you mean someone like an AA sponsor.
    Hope some of the above is helpful and please keep reaching out at anytime.
    Looking forward to following your journey.
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi @PhoenixBlack,

It's great that you're reaching out for help, it takes a lot of courage and it's the first thing we have to do.

I remember for me it was so hard to admit I had a problem, I had to get to a point where I was completely beaten by my addiction. Completely defeated and broken so that lead me to becoming willing and surrendering to the fact that I couldn't control things anymore, that I'd actually lost control a long time before reaching that point.

I was similar to you in that I tried a lot of different things to help. I'd go to detox but everytime I came home I would always end up picking up again before long. I tried counselling too which helped with some things but didn't work for me to actually stop and stay stopped.

It wasn't until I went to 12 step groups and got help from other people who had been through similar things as me but had found a new way to live that things started to change. I realised I wasn't alone in my difficult experience of early recovery, that it was possible to be free from addiction and I had hope for the first time in a long time.

Here is a link for AA meetings near Ipswich in QLD: https://meetings.aa.org.au/near/?near=Ipswich+QLD

I'd recommend seeking help there and you will find people who can share their experiences with you and help you learn how to live without drinking.

In terms of a mentor this is the closest thing I can think of but I hope you continue to reach out here and share your journey with us.

Let us know how you go after checking out a meeting or two and remember, we're always here :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi @PhoenixBlack and welcome to the forums…………whilst I can’t give out my phone number I’d be happy to communicate with you on here. If you tag me in your posts I’ll get a notification and respond when I’m on the forums. I log on Mondays and Thursdays between 8pm and 10pm but you can tag me in a post anytime and I’ll respond when I’m here.

Have you tried AA……..you’ll definitely find a sponsor there. I just googled it and the link is here:
    https://aameetings.org.au/local/?near=Ipswich+QLD
    Ipswich has a number of meetings each week and you’ll be around a bunch of people who are all trying to do the same thing you are…………..stop drinking. Some of them will be new and others will have years and years up. You could make some great progress by going to some meetings and talking with other alcoholics. It took me numerous attempts but eventually I got it and now have 6 years up.

I didn’t like it at first……….left because I didn’t understand the Higher Power thing and thought it was a cult. The second time I stopped going because I didn’t think I was like anyone else there. Third time was because I wasn’t ready to admit that I couldn’t live without booze and kept believing that one day I’d be able to control my drinking. The fourth time I was desperate and started to do what they suggested. I looked around and realised that there were people in those rooms who hadn’t had a drink in years…………..YEARS!!!........I couldn’t get through a day sometimes. No doctor, psych, counsellor, no one………..no one was able to help me find a way to stop. Other alcoholics were the ones who showed me what was necessary.

There are helplines out there too………..maybe @Peace Dove can help me and provide the phone number for the help line in Queensland?

The rehab I went to was owned and operated by people in recovery……….that’s where I found the connection I needed. Not everyone is at the stage I was at and needed rehab but the point I’m making is that I identify with your approach of wanting to find people who have been through the journey to help you out.

If you’ve got any questions or I can support in any other way then please tag me so I know you’ve posted a message. I’m here to share experience and help in any way I can.
    0 x

Return to “Peers for Peers: A space for connecting to others and our peer workers”