Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:26 pm

@GretaGarbage99 there's something to be learnt in every attempt. Eight weeks is a great effort and there's lessons in in. What worked during that time? When you made the decision to try ice again what was driving it? My road to recovery was full of stopping and starting over many years. Eventually I was able to switch my thinking and when I was having the thoughts about using again I'd think about what happened last time I tried to. I realised that every time I picked up it ended with me feeling ashamed of myself and I just don't want to go back there.

You've made some great moves getting rid of contacts and numbers and looking at getting to meetings. One of my favourite sayings is "I failed my way to success". Don't give up on yourself and just keep trying.
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:05 am

good morning everyone and welcome to our new members @Krystal87, @king kylo and @Drunkendiva

This is a open, judgement free space for you to find support and advice from others! We welcome people at all stages of their journey and recognise everyone is on their own path!

If you have any questions or are seeking a bit of extra support, feel free to tag myself or @SunflowerSeed or our two fantastic peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:57 pm

Hi @Iwillbeok, I'm really grateful you keep sharing with us so openly about where you're at. It's truly amazing how supportive your husband is and it sounds like even though you've had your struggles that you two have a wonderful life together :)

Sometimes it can take a process of trial and error to discover what kind of limits/boundaries are going to work for our substance use. I went through a lot of phases, trying to manage it in different ways, different quantities, different drugs. For me it ended up that no matter how I ended up approaching my substance use, I would always end up in the same place and I needed complete abstinence to live a life that is happy, joyous and free. But that is not necessarily the case for everybody.

It's great you were able to just leave it at one as well and then have hot chocolate after that, I think that's a great step in the right direction and perhaps changing your relationship with alcohol.

I always enjoy reading your posts and hope you continue to share with us here on the forums :D
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:49 pm

Hi @GretaGarbage99,

I can remember everytime I would attempt a detox, end up picking up again and feel that same sense of failure. It took a long time for me to realise that all of those experiences were lessons that I needed to learn to discover what I needed to actually find what would work for me and what lengths I needed to go to so I could get recovery.

It sounds like you've got some really positive things in place for this crack at it. Deleting your dealers numbers and people who you used with is a great place to start. Following on from there, going to meetings is a great idea to build new connections that are recovery focussed in place of the ties you need to cut from using life. I really struggled with having to let go of some of the using friends I had and recovery felt like a lonely road, meeting other people in recovery and developing new, healthy relationships in NA saved my life in all honesty.

I hope you continue to reach out and remember, you can go to a meeting no matter where you are on your journey of detoxing or using because the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using.
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:34 pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone~ How we doing? :)

Let's welcome our new members today~ @Swanlee & @IceOneBro

This forum is a safe space for you all to seek help and connect with each other. Our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW are here to help you as well. So if you need anything, don't hesitate to @ myself or @Lhiver or any of the peer workers, we will try our best to help. :D
    1 x
    Bethred

Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm

Hi @GretaGarbage99
    I just wanted to comment to show support, I relate a lot to your posts.
    Keep focused, keep swimming!

Here for you
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:15 am

good morning everyone! I'd like to welcome our new members @Teena @Gaye68 @Rocky01 and @Angela8381 These forums are a space for you to find advice, connection and support! Everyone here has their own story, whether their making a change for themselves or are supporting a loved one!

You can start your own thread in our lived experinces section or have a read around others journeys!

If you have any questions, feel free to tag myself, @SunflowerSeed or our amazing peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW :D
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 am

Good morning all~ Are we all ready to start another day? :)

Warm welcome to our new members~ @Gaye68 @Rocky01 @BRW @erinoneill

This forum is a safe space for you to get support and connect with each other. Our peer workers @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW are here to provide you with extra support from their own experiences. If you have any questions, feel free to @ any of us (myself, the peer workers or @Lhiver ).
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:02 am

Good morning and welcome to our new members @Xanthea

Everyone here is either going through their own recovery journey or supporting a loved one. This is a non-judgemental and open space fr you to seek out support and advice!

When you feel ready you can post in this thread here and introduce yourself!
    0 x
    Gelato73

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:11 am

Hi everyone, I have made many attempts to start my alcohol free journey and have failed many times.
    This is my first time on a forum.
    I saw my GP and she has started me on some meds to help with the craving and she has advised I seek some support.
    So here I am!
    2 x
    Judas

Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:25 am

Welcome to the forums @Gelato73. Giving up for good can certainly be difficult but try not to feel overwhelmed. It is not uncommon for it to take multiple (or many) attempts but the important thing to remember is that each time you achieve a period of sobriety and then relapse again that you have the opportunity to learn. By learning about your triggers, learning from past mistakes and identifying your strengths & weaknesses you're able to become a stronger person and learn more about yourself so that you are more likely to succeed next time.

You're certainly in a good place to find some support on these forums and I would encourage you to explore the different topics available on here. There are a range of different topics that people like to talk about on the forums and you can connect with people that have been through a similar journey as yours.

I think it's great that you're connected in with your GP as they can be a fantastic resource and excellent point of call to link you in with Alcohol and Other Drug Services and they can form an important part of your support network too. Linking in with my GP and being upfront about my addiction problems was pivotal in my recovery journey and the impact of having a good GP who is on your side cannot be underestimated.
    2 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:39 am

Good morning all~ How was your weekend?
    A big welcome to our new members~
    @Sunflowersandpumpkinseeds @Elie @Chubbakitty @SAL77 @Jleelee @Terje @In confidence @Bartok @Outback @Dashie22 @SnoopKatt @Julskitt & @LadyHay

These forums are a safe and judgement free space for you to get the support you need and connect with your peers. If you need any extra help or support, feel free to @ myself or @Lhiver , or our friendly peer workers here @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW , they can share some of the things they found helpful in their journey.
    Looking forward to hear from you soon~
    1 x
    SnoopKatt

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome @SunflowerSeed . I've signed up this morning because I fell off the wagon after 2 years+ sober and ruined a very special relationship.
    I've struggled with substance abuse problems since I was in my mid teens and I'm in my late-40s now. A very messed up childhood, full of trauma led to drinking and doing drugs from a young age but I can't blame that trauma. I'm an addict. I've been in maintenance for opiates for almost 12 years this time and finally quit alcohol and the occasional party drug in May 2020 with the help of Campral and Valium. I'm sadly still taking the Valium at a reducing rate and went back on Campral recently because stress & depression was making me want to drink.
    I bugged out over the weekend and as I mentioned, destroyed something beautiful. Alcohol has contributed to me becoming self-destructive and self-sabotaging in the past and I am so devastated by what I've done, I feel like wasting my life away with alcohol but I've learned my lesson.
    I have a lot to live for, primarily a young kid (11), without whom I would have given in to alcohol and benzos years ago, likely to the ultimate end. But I do have him. And I have to find ways to cope with problems without reaching for alcohol and creating more problems.
    So that's me and that's why I'm here.
    1 x
    Judas

Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 pm

Great to hear from you @SnoopKatt. 2 years sober is fantastic and such an achievement that you can be proud of and it's great to see that you have found some pharmacotherapies that are useful for you.

Trauma is an extremely common shared experience within populations of people that use alcohol and other drugs, so you are definitely not alone. It can be difficult because drugs and alcohol can repress a lot of the negative emotions that are related to trauma, but then when you stop taking the drugs the trauma is still there and it starts to resurface.

It sounds like you've got a lot going for you: effective pharmacotherapies, previous experience with extended sobriety, support from your kid and a high motivation to stay on the right path. However, it sounds like you're also under quite a bit of stress at the moment. I would definitely encourage you to focus on the good things which I've mentioned as well as practicing some self care techniques such as meditation, planned relaxation and breathing techniques may be useful for you also. I wish you the best with getting back on track and finding ways to cope with your problems booze-free. If you need some ideas or some more support then feel free to chuck up a new topic or reply in the forums, we are all here to help one another.
    3 x
    SnoopKatt

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:03 pm

Judas wrote:
    Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 pm
    as well as practicing some self care techniques such as meditation, planned relaxation and breathing techniques may be useful for you also. I wish you the best with getting back on track and finding ways to cope with your problems booze-free. If you need some ideas or some more support then feel free to chuck up a new topic or reply in the forums, we are all here to help one another.
    Thanks a bunch @Judas. I appreciate the kind words and the advice of self care. It's been suggested before but I never get onto it. I'll look into some techniques for sure. Cheers :)
    2 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”