Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • What places are triggering for you?

Judas

What places are triggering for you?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:27 pm

Part of making a comprehensive plan to stay sober includes identifying triggers and knowing how to work around them. There are certain places in the lives of most users (and past users) that you know you need to avoid as they are triggering or else you know you will need a specific plan or strategy if you do need to enter these spaces. I thought identifying and discussing these spaces could be useful.
    2 x
    Judas

Re: What places are triggering for you?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:38 pm

I'll go first...
    1. My brother's bedroom
    2. My father's caravan
    3. My mother's loungeroom
    ~By identifying these places as triggering rather than the people themselves, I'm still able to connect with my family but by doing so in other spaces I limit my ability to be triggered.

4. My shed
    ~ This is where I used to use most of the time. Best to avoid unless I need something specific out of there and then it's just a quick in and out.

5. My friend's place who I know has a neighbour that uses.
    ~ If I walk up the hill a bit I'm usually able to avoid his place when I go to see my friend

6. Houses of past dealers
    ~ I'm not in contact with the dealers that I used to get on from anymore but driving past their place can still be triggering. It's best for me to avoid taking that route if I know I'm going to driving past their place or I can just put the radio on and try to think about something else as I drive past if I have to go that way.
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Re: What places are triggering for you?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:01 pm

Thank you so much @Judas for starting another great topic! Thank you for sharing your triggers.

Knowing our triggers are absolutely important, like you said, knowing them help us to set plans and strategies. The strategies you shared are some simple but effective ones~ Sometimes simple is the best!

Keep up all the good works~
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”