Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:14 pm

Hi everybody~ How has your weekend been?

Big welcome to @Swan72, @Rubytaylor
    The forums are here to provide you all a safe and anonymous space to share your stories and concers. All members are here for support as well as providing support for each other. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask our peerworkers (@PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW) as well as myself!
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi @reading_water @Benblue @Swan72 @Rubytaylor ...............welcome to the forums.

I hope you find what you're looking for.............have you found anything helpful so far?
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:58 am

Good morning everyone, are you enjoying the extra day-off? What's your plan for today?

@gorden welcome to the community. You can safely share your stories here. There is no judgement in this space. Everyone is here to support each other in this journey. Our two peer workers are in this journey and fighting along you all, so feel free to ask them questions. @ScorpionPW & @PnorkelPW. I'm a facilitators here to provide you all with some extra support.

I also want to take this space to say thank you to our lovely facilitator @Lhiver. She is finishing her role here in the community. She has provided so much support to everyone and shared so much fun activities. Thank you @Lhiver!
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:27 pm

You’ll be missed @Lhiver

I said it in another post but it never hurts to say twice…………I can’t believe you’re @lhieaving

Thanks again for all your support, tags, trivia, and everything else you’ve done. It’s been awesome sharing the space with you. Good luck with whatever your next focus is.
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:14 pm

Good afternoon everyone, it's a hot day here today. How's the weather where you at?

@Change4good, @SIM771 Welcome to the community. When you feel ready, we are looking forward to hear a little about your journey. Just remember to keep it anonymous. Out peer workers have lived experience in the recovery, feel free to ask them if you have any quesitons. @PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW. I'm also here to provide support to you all, so let me know if you are looking for any resources or supports.
    0 x
    Niknik

Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:45 pm

Hi 👋 this is the first time I’ve really reached out for help with my drinking. I’m lying to my husband about my intake. He is incredibly supportive and such a good man. I’m feeling such shame for my lies. I have massive black outs and forget hours of my life. I’m a health professional myself so know all too well what I’m doing to my body. Im trying so hard to start being honest with myself and him. I’m reading books and listening to podcasts to try educate myself on alcoholism but I want to understand why I do it. I’m hoping to do the one on one counseling on here as I’ve just discovered this site.
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:13 pm

Hi @Niknik,
    Welcome to the Forums. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
    I't great to hear your partner is very supportive. You mentioned you are looking for counselling, I had included some information around that in the welcome email we sent you.
    I'm wondering if you are looking for some other support? Let us know if you have any questions by tagging myself or the peer workers, @PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW.
    Keep up update on your journey.
    1 x
    Niknik

Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:56 pm

Thanks so much @Sunflowerseed. I am looking at some counselling and today I looked up some psychology support in my area. I suppose being brave enough to post a little about myself gave me the courage. I don’t know why I have the compulsion to drink but I’m hoping someone else will be able to help me figure it out !!! Thanks 🙏
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:38 pm

Hi @Niknik,

Thanks so much for being so open and honest about where you're at. It sounds like it's a difficult spot and like you're very lucky to have your husband in your corner.

I remember trying to figure out why I had the compulsion I did with substances for a long time and just feeling so defeated over and over again, not understanding why I couldn't control it. Even when everything in me intended to, and believed that I would never use again, I would still go back to it.

I ended up learning that a way that was helpful for me to think about it was like I'm allergic to substances. That if I put a mood or mind altering substance in my body, that something in me awakens that wants more and my obsession becomes compulsion and that I am not capable of controlling that on my own.

Getting support from people who live with a similar condition, but who had found a way to live drug free and get on going recovery helped me immensely to figure out what I needed to do for things to really change.

It's great to hear you're planning to connect with a counsellor and psychologist. I'm wondering if you've looked into any peer support groups such as na/aa or SMART Recovery?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:30 pm

Hi @Change4good and @SIM771..............welcome to the forums!

I hope you're finding some useful information and posts to read. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

Have you found anything helpful so far?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:13 pm

Hi @Niknik.............welcome to the forums and well done on having the courage to share!! It's amazing what can happen when we open up a little. and often it's not as scary as we think it might be. It makes sharing easier each time and for me, the anonymity of the forums really helps. No-one knows who you are so you can say whatever you want and it's a really supportive community who understand what you're going through and how hard it can be to make or maintain change.

I lied to everyone including myself about how much I used to drink. People would see the public me but no-one saw the private me. I worked hospitality hours and could go days without seeing the partner I lived with and slept beside. Blackouts were just normal to me and I thought everyone had them but in the last few years when I discovered the morning drink I feel like I lived my life in more of a brownout where my memory was just hazy. I'd kinda remember things but my days would just float by and there'd be stuff I just had no idea about.

Shame played a massive part in me staying stuck in addiction for so many years. I lied to myself the most because I was ashamed to admit I had a problem. I didn't want people to know the extent of my problem and I wanted to be able to drink normally...............whatever that is. I often wonder how much earlier I would have made change if I'd been able to overcome the shame barrier and admit I needed help. And asked for it. People would wonder why I didn't just stop drinking or only drink on certain nights because they could do those things. No matter what I tried, I couldn't do that. Once I started drinking I couldn't stop and it got to the point that I needed to drink. These days I understand what it means to be an alcoholic and I'm not ashamed of that. Getting that understanding helped me learn why I drink the way I do and why I'm better off not drinking at all.

Life is just easier now that I don't drink. The chaos is gone. The guilt and shame no longer play games with my head. Life is just better.

It's fantastic that your husband is supportive, hopefully you can expand on that support network. I want you to know that change is possible and so is maintaining that change. How did you go finding some counselling or psych support? One of the most frustrating things can be the length of time it takes to get an appointment. Try to stay focused on your goal and don't give up while you're waiting to see someone. The wait will be worth it.

Have you listened to The Naked Mind podcast with Annie Grace or to Real Drug Talk with Jack Nagle? They've got some great stuff and like all things, everyone connects to different people, messaging, and approaches. I'd love to know what you're listening to and what you've found helpful. I'm always on the hunt for some interesting content and to know what's available so I can share it with others here on the forums.

If I can support in any way just tag me and I'll respond when I'm next online.
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:53 am

Good morning everyone, I want to kick of the day by welcoming our newest member @Idiot101 This is a space for you to share your journey, connect with others and find advice and support. If you have any questions or need support tag @Sunflowerseed or our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:46 am

Good morning~ How is everyone feeling today?

Welcome @Ayjay for joining the forums. These forums are a safe space for you to share your story. There is no judgement in here. Have a look around the forums and you are welcome to share yours when you feel ready. If you have any questions, just ask our peer workers, @PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW, or myself.
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:13 pm

Welcome to the forums @Idiot101 and @Ayjay ………….welcome to the forums. Is there any information in particular you’re looking for?

Have you found anything helpful so far?

If we can support or share any info at all just let us know. @scorpionPW and I have had our own struggles with addiction and are more than happy to answer any questions or share our experiences. Whether it’s now or in the future please don’t hesitate to reach out and ask.
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:37 am

Good morning everyone~~ What are we planning to do today?

@Lost.Soul Welcome to the forums. This space is a non-judgemental and anonymous, you are welcome to share your story and keep track of your journey here. We hope you can find your very own way towards recovery. Our peer support workers are here to provide some guidance and support to you all, don't hesitate to ask them if you have any questions, @ScorpionPW & @PnorkelPW. You are welcome to tag me as well if you have any questions or need some extra resources. Looking forward to hearing from you soon~ :)
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”