Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:26 pm

@GretaGarbage99 there's something to be learnt in every attempt. Eight weeks is a great effort and there's lessons in in. What worked during that time? When you made the decision to try ice again what was driving it? My road to recovery was full of stopping and starting over many years. Eventually I was able to switch my thinking and when I was having the thoughts about using again I'd think about what happened last time I tried to. I realised that every time I picked up it ended with me feeling ashamed of myself and I just don't want to go back there.

You've made some great moves getting rid of contacts and numbers and looking at getting to meetings. One of my favourite sayings is "I failed my way to success". Don't give up on yourself and just keep trying.
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:05 am

good morning everyone and welcome to our new members @Krystal87, @king kylo and @Drunkendiva

This is a open, judgement free space for you to find support and advice from others! We welcome people at all stages of their journey and recognise everyone is on their own path!

If you have any questions or are seeking a bit of extra support, feel free to tag myself or @SunflowerSeed or our two fantastic peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:57 pm

Hi @Iwillbeok, I'm really grateful you keep sharing with us so openly about where you're at. It's truly amazing how supportive your husband is and it sounds like even though you've had your struggles that you two have a wonderful life together :)

Sometimes it can take a process of trial and error to discover what kind of limits/boundaries are going to work for our substance use. I went through a lot of phases, trying to manage it in different ways, different quantities, different drugs. For me it ended up that no matter how I ended up approaching my substance use, I would always end up in the same place and I needed complete abstinence to live a life that is happy, joyous and free. But that is not necessarily the case for everybody.

It's great you were able to just leave it at one as well and then have hot chocolate after that, I think that's a great step in the right direction and perhaps changing your relationship with alcohol.

I always enjoy reading your posts and hope you continue to share with us here on the forums :D
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:49 pm

Hi @GretaGarbage99,

I can remember everytime I would attempt a detox, end up picking up again and feel that same sense of failure. It took a long time for me to realise that all of those experiences were lessons that I needed to learn to discover what I needed to actually find what would work for me and what lengths I needed to go to so I could get recovery.

It sounds like you've got some really positive things in place for this crack at it. Deleting your dealers numbers and people who you used with is a great place to start. Following on from there, going to meetings is a great idea to build new connections that are recovery focussed in place of the ties you need to cut from using life. I really struggled with having to let go of some of the using friends I had and recovery felt like a lonely road, meeting other people in recovery and developing new, healthy relationships in NA saved my life in all honesty.

I hope you continue to reach out and remember, you can go to a meeting no matter where you are on your journey of detoxing or using because the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using.
    0 x
    SunflowerSeed
    Community Builder

Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:34 pm

Good afternoon/evening everyone~ How we doing? :)

Let's welcome our new members today~ @Swanlee & @IceOneBro

This forum is a safe space for you all to seek help and connect with each other. Our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW are here to help you as well. So if you need anything, don't hesitate to @ myself or @Lhiver or any of the peer workers, we will try our best to help. :D
    1 x
    Bethred

Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm

Hi @GretaGarbage99
    I just wanted to comment to show support, I relate a lot to your posts.
    Keep focused, keep swimming!

Here for you
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:15 am

good morning everyone! I'd like to welcome our new members @Teena @Gaye68 @Rocky01 and @Angela8381 These forums are a space for you to find advice, connection and support! Everyone here has their own story, whether their making a change for themselves or are supporting a loved one!

You can start your own thread in our lived experinces section or have a read around others journeys!

If you have any questions, feel free to tag myself, @SunflowerSeed or our amazing peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW :D
    0 x
    SunflowerSeed
    Community Builder

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 am

Good morning all~ Are we all ready to start another day? :)

Warm welcome to our new members~ @Gaye68 @Rocky01 @BRW @erinoneill

This forum is a safe space for you to get support and connect with each other. Our peer workers @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW are here to provide you with extra support from their own experiences. If you have any questions, feel free to @ any of us (myself, the peer workers or @Lhiver ).
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”