Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:50 pm

Hi @SnoopKatt , thank you for sharing your story and being so open about your feelings. It is good that you have something to look forward to in your life~
    Have you heard of urge surfing? Here is a resource that might help you with that. Feel free to print this out, fill it in and have it with you.

Check in here everyday or from time to time is a good idea. You can received some good support/advice from our lovely members. :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:24 pm

Hi @Gelato73 and welcome to the forums. One of my favourite sayings is “I failed my way to success” and when it comes to making change involving drugs and alcohol it’s right on the mark. I try not to view lapse or relapse as failures because I reckon there’s a lesson to be learnt in every one.

Figuring out what drove you to pick up again can help you figure out what to avoid the next time. It’s great that you’ve enlisted the help of your GP. Have you thought about seeing a drug and alcohol counsellor too? Or attending AA meetings? Or SMART Recovery meetings?
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:38 pm

Hey @Gelato73, thanks so much for opening up and sharing with us...reaching out for help can be the hardest step to take. I remember for me it was such a huge leap and then once I started getting support from the right people who understood and were not judgemental it all got a bit easier and I didn't feel alone anymore.

How are you going with everything? Are you seeking support anywhere else, like any support groups as @PnorkelPW mentioned? I hope you continue to reach out and well done for making some steps towards changing things, it's amazing that you're doing that and you certainly don't have to do it alone :)
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:56 pm

Good afternoon all, How are we feeling today?
    Big welcome to the new members today~
    @Skyemum32 & @ATeeny

These forums are a safe place for you to connect with peers and share your concerns. If you need some extra help, don't hesitate to @ myself or @Lhiver . We will try our best to help. There are also our lovely peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW , they can provide you with some useful tips and strategies they found helpful in their journey.
    Hope to hear from you soon. :)
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:13 pm

Thanks so much for sharing with us and opening up @SnoopKatt.

It sounds like you've been through a lot and have put a lot of effort in over the years to try and reach a more manageable place with your substance use. Sometimes recovery is a marathon more than a sprint and even thought you've had some slip ups I think it's important to acknowledge how far you've come as well as it's an incredibly challenging path to walk.

I can remember so many times where I would make progress, then fall off the wagon, make some destructive decisions and feel so much shame for the damage I'd caused. It was so easy for me to get the whip out and be really hard on myself. It's hard when we suffer from something that we have a certain amount of powerlessness over, it's like something overtakes, some kind of monster, a greater force that we can't control. Well that's what it was like for me anyway.

It wasn't until I started to learn about the nature of my addiction and what I could and couldn't control, along with getting the right kind of support and not doing it alone that I was able to make some big and lasting changes which led me into the recovery focussed life I live now.

How's everything going for you now? Have you reached out for support anywhere else?
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:16 pm

Hi all~ Hope you are travelling well in your journey. :)

Welcome our new member for today~ @Amyb123

These forums are a safe space for you to connect with each other and seek the support you need. We have two resourceful peer workers here, @ScorpionPW & @PnorkelPW. If you have questions relating to your journey, they are happy to share what helped them in their journey, just @ them. You can also @ myself or @Lhiver , we will try our best to help you!

Remember, you are not alone in this! ;)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:27 pm

I hope everyone is well this week! It's nice to be back and see how everyone is doing!

I want to extend a massive welcome to our newest members @1amAnonymous @Plumbago @654321Dcba good on you for stepping up and joing the forums, this is a place for you to find support and connection no matter what stage of your journey your on!

If you have any questions or just want to check in, you can use the @ symbol to tag myself, @SunflowerSeed or our peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW

:)
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:10 pm

Good afternoon all~ How are we feeling about starting another week?

A big welcome for our new member~
    @Rjcatty1

These forums are a safe space for you to share and connect. Feel free to look around for others' inspiring journey. Our peer workers are here every week, @PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW, feel free to ask them any question about how to approach things in this recovery journey.
    Myself and @Lhiver are here every week as well, if you have any questions, just @ any of us~ :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:49 am

Good morning everyone! And a big welcome to our new members @oldpunk66, @anon282828, @Saraallab77 and @ezj21

This is a place for you to find connection and support from others! Everyone here is on their own journey and here to offer advice!

If you have any questions feel free to tag myself, @SunflowerSeed or our peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW :)
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:02 pm

Good afternoon all~ :D
    Big welcome to our newest member~
    @vik21, @Anonymous_Sauce

Well done all for joining this community. Everyone is here to seek some help, support or just to connect with other. Whatever reason makes you join us, we are glade you are here. Feel free to introduce yourself a bit, just remember to keep it anonymous~ ;)
    Our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW are here every week to support you. Don't hesitate if you have any questions, just @ our peer workers, myself or @Lhiver .
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:08 am

Good morning and welcome to our new members @Toooldforthis @Navi navi and @MisUnderstood2

This is a space for you to find support, connection and advice!

Everyone here has their own story and are on either their own recovery path or supporting someone else on their journey. It is a judgement-free space, so remember to stay respectful and remember others have their own experiences to share!

As always, feel free to tag myself of @SunflowerSeed by using the @ symbol and then picking our usernames form the drop-down list :)
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:35 am

Good morning all on another week, how are we? :)

Big welcome to our newest members~
    @Burnt, @Sweetbut , @believedo , @Kodo

These forums are a platform for you to safely share your concerns and seek support for each other. We are lucky to have two lovely peer workers here with us to provide some useful strategies and suuport, @ScorpionPW & @PnorkelPW . Myself and @Lhiver are the facilitator here. If you have any question, feel free to @ any of us, we will try our best to help!
    0 x
    Coops1014

Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:01 pm

Hi Im Coops1014 and today I realised that I have not only been lying to my family about my drinking but also to myself. It is impacting my health and my relationships with my family.
    Other than admitting it and reaching out what are my next steps to stop.
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:18 pm

Hi @Coops1014 ,
    Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing and being open.
    Well done on reaching out.
    There are some services you can access to get some support. I recommend you give the National AOD Hotline a call, their number is 1800 250 015. You will be automatically redirect to your state service, and they will be able to provide you with information most relevant/accessible to you.
    This forum is also a great place to get some peer support. Feel free to check-in in here as often as you need. Our peer workers here - @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW , can provide you with some strategies or services they found very helpful.
    If you have any question or would like more support, you can @ myself or @Lhiver , we are here to help.
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:22 pm

Hi @Coops1014 ..............welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing.

Don't underestimate what a big step admitting your lying to yourself and others is. Pretending everything is okay and staying in denial can cause major damage and keeps people trapped for longer. I was in denial for many, many years and spiralled further and further out of control. No-one other than me had the full picture but there were people who had enough of the picture to know that I was in trouble. Hiding everything started to have major health impacts both physical and mental............especially the mental. I had cans, bottles, and baggies hidden everywhere and I was in a constant state of high anxiety and paranoia that they'd be found..........that I'd be found out!!

There are a number of steps to take right now but what i'd like to ask is what you want out of this??? Do you want to stop completely?? Just take a break for a while?? Just not drink as much or as often?? Or do you have another goal???

What I generally suggest to most people is to have a chat with your GP. I feel really fortunate that my GP had a focus on mental health and some knowledge on the damage that drugs and alcohol can have on people's lives. I'm hesitant to say addiction there because substance use doesn't have to have reached addiction levels to be causing damage. If you don't feel your GP isn't the right fit for these circumstances I suggest finding one who is. I'd also recommend finding a drug and alcohol counsellor to start working on strategies with you so that you can work together on the goals you identify from the questions I asked. Some people want complete abstinence, others just want to cut down, and others somewhere inbetween. A drug and alcohol counsellor will help you identify the best pathway forwards for you.

Talking with your loved ones can also help. It's amazing how much lighter you can feel by telling them the truth and this way they can work together with you. Sharing the problem can help make the solutions easier to find and maintain.

I hope some of this has been helpful nd if you have any other questions please reach out and ask.........I'm here to share my experience of addiction and recovery and there's really nothing that's off limits from my story.

You've made a good start.............what's next?
    1 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”