Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi @Cakie181,

I can really relate to laying in bed doing head miles...The amount of nights I haven't been able to switch my thinking off, especially in the early days. One thing that has always helped me with this is to write things down so it's not all swimming around my brain. Doesn't always work but has helped me get to sleep quicker a lot of the time.

Just an fyi, there are a lot of support groups online where it doesn't matter where you are and you can get support. I've done some NA meetings in the united states and even Italy. There's also SMART Recovery groups online as well.

If you ever want any info on groups you can connect with either face to face or online then feel free to let us know and we're more than happy to share the details :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:00 pm

Hi @Mia_85 ……..12 months clean and 3 of 4 kids back shows real commitment. I hope you’re reunited with all your kids soon. What’s worked for you in staying clean? How are you maintaining it? I’m glad you have been able to get out of a violent relationship too. Environment contributes to substance use, especially where it’s painful and unhappy.

Is there any particular support you're looking for on here?
    0 x
    Cakie181

Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:22 pm

Hey...yeah,i've been doing alot of writting down in my notebooks,aswell as some research,and advice and handy tips and help....have put in some research on the smart recovery program and looks and sounds like the way to go for me,rather than aa type of thing,aa just doesnt do it for me,so,yeah,there's that...
    And now that the rain has stopped and the sun is out,i can get out into my backyard and put my focus and energy attention into taking care of my lawns and my many potted plants (must be grown in pots as housing sa wont allow plants,shrubs or trees into the ground coz of the many long and thick root systems) and am needing more potting mix to transplant my other flowers into bigger pots,but am finding my current financial issues and difficulties too huge at the moment,so will just have to wait for another fortnight (i'm on a disability support pension,since 1998,for mental health issues,problems and disorders)
    Thanks...
    Cakie
    2 x
    Nic Vader

Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:17 pm

Hi all, thanks for having me. 5 days sober here (2 of them spent in hospital due to bad withdrawal). It's tough, but hanging in there. Walking 5-10km each day and eating fairly healthy. Fortunately got some time off work, so hopefully I'll be ok when I get back.
    2 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:30 am

Hello all, hope you all enjoyed your weekend! :)

Warm welcome for our newest members~
    @Sheree22, @bigpoppa-og, @Desiree, @Aqua Vita, @Nucam12, @Gavin, @DBrisbane, @KIZUM, @ELT89, @Scout07, @Orchid

In this forums, you can safely share your story without fearing for judgements. We are here to support you through out your journey, connecting and supporting others can also help you build your strength and confident in achieving your goals. If you have any questions, feel free to tag our peer workers, @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW or the facilitators (myself or @Lhiver).
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:06 pm

Hi @Nic Vader,
    Thank you for posting! Well done on five-day sober! Hope it is a week now!
    Im sorry to hear you experienced bad withdrawal, glad you had some medical support.
    Walking 5 to 10km everyday is impressive! And the healthy food, well done! Keep up all the good work and hope to hear from you soon~ :)
    0 x
    Nic Vader

Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:19 pm

Yep, will be 7 days tonight. Doing pretty well. Work called and asked me if I can start back on Wednesday (I originally took this week off because I wasn't sure how long I'd be in hospital). I agreed to go back, but I'm a bit nervous. While they know I was sick, they don't know the exact nature of my condition. There will inevitably be questions, especially as office gossip gets around. Besides that, I walked 5km today and am currently cooking broccoli soup. Yum yum lol
    3 x
    melody

Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:15 pm

well done! What's been the thing that has helped the most? @Nic Vader
    0 x
    Nic Vader

Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:49 pm

I suppose exercise helps quite a lot because I'd rather focus on the pain in my legs than the anxiety in my head. Besides that I've been playing a lot of video games to keep myself distracted. I've read at the 2 week mark my mood should improve, so just aiming for that now.
    2 x
    melody

Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:08 pm

That is such a good point. Sometimes focussing on the feeling of the urge in your body is easier than listening to the story in your head. We can't do both at the same time.
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:08 pm

Hi @Nic Vader,

Well done for getting through a week, absolutely legendary effort :D

I remember for me, the first 3 days were always the hardest of a detox, specifically day 3 itself. I attempted multiple detoxes over a couple of years and it took me a while to realise what I needed to put into place and put action into so I could actually stay stopped once leaving detox.

Is this your first detox or have you tried before? And what things do you feel like you could try to help yourself stay on course once you're out of treatment?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:15 pm

Hi @Nic Vader and congrats on getting through a week!!!

Exercise is big for me too. I find that it gets rid of a lot of excess energy and sets me up for the day if I can get it done early. 5 - 10kms is a lot of walking and if it's working then keep it up. I try and get to either the bush or the beach for a walk most weekends and the longer I'm there the more my head settles. The thoughts settle. I get to think things through.

The work thing is a tough one. If you're not ready it's okay to say no to going back early. Can you ask them do do one day on and one day off for a week or so you can ease back into it? Or maybe that wouldn't work? You don't have to tell them the real reason you weren't at work. Maybe you had a bad case of food poisoning??? Or you can just tell people it's something you'd rather not talk about??

Diet and exercise play a big part in getting back on track so you're doing well there. I think you'll find energy and mood returning the more you look after yourself.

What other things do you like doing to fill time?

walks work return
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:11 am

Welcome to the Forums @Fried not baked, @Rach2022, @marsbars
    This is a judgement free community for people at any stages of their recovery journey! You'll find support and connection from others, and if you have any questions feel free to tag myself or @Sunflowerseed
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:26 am

Good morning veryone! I hope you're all having a good start to the weekend!

Welcome to our new members @DeadlyOne90 @Annie111222333 @Millie19 This community is a place for you to fins connection and support! We have our weekend activities, today it's trivia and Share an Inspiring or Motivating Quote It'd be great to see you join!
    0 x
    LeroyU

Searching for help to quit alcohol

Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:49 am

Hi, I am 38 years of age and am seeking help to quit alcohol. Alcohol has been a issue in my life for awhile, however been ignored because I thought I could control it but I can't. Here to get tips and help from everyone and seek the right paths that need to be addressed to get to the bottom of the issue once and for all
    1 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”