Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Tryingeveryday

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:47 pm

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a good Christmas, stayed safe with this environment around Covid. Stay strong over New Years, make sure to have a support person with you that knows about your History and personal triggers.
    3 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:27 pm

I was wrapped up in bed at 11pm @ScorpionPW and feeling safe………..ready to get up early and improve on the start I’d made to committing to change. I’ve hit the gym every day so far, improved my diet and deleted dating apps so I can focus on what I want my life to look like and get back into alignment.

I hope you had a great time in Byron
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:22 pm

So great to hear @PnorkelPW :) glad to hear you're getting some consistency back and looking after yourself
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:15 pm

Thursday is here again with New Year's Eve behind us and a new year underway.

What are your goals for the year?

What are you going to focus on??

What do you want to change?

What do you want to stay the same?

What would you like your life to look like 12 months from now and what are you going to do to work towards that?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:21 pm

Thursday again with another weekend about to roll around. If I'm honest I'm feeling a bit lost because I have no plan. I have lots of things I want to do........buy a kayak, get roofracks (maybe I'll do that in reverse order), play golf, donate plasma, gym, swim, sauna, spa, walk the beach, do some gardening, get my old car started so I can sell it, prepare the house for painting, research painting the house, research a trip away in a couple of weeks, spring clean the house............

There's more too and I'm now on 10 days off so I have plenty of time to do it but one of the problems I've had lately is that I've been overthinking things........I might actually write something about this in the "Reflections" thread because it's got my brain started. I get what is coined 'analysis paralysis" because I overthink things so much I don't know where to start and have too many possibilities running through my head. The secret is to just get started, to break it down into achievable chunks and get it done bit by bit.

Anyhoo..........they say a big part of recovery is staying busy but there has to be some balance in there too so I think I'll write a list, break it down into days and not put too much pressure on myself.

What have you got to do this weekend??? What's your plan???
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 pm

Another Thursday rolls around and another weekend is ahead. I’m planning on using it to continue getting some structure back into my life in order to……….this term really grates me for some reason but it’s true………create the life I want to live.

I’ve been talking about this a bit recently and it’s been my focus for a while and slowly it’s beginning to take shape. What I’m trying not to do is rush everything and implement the changes slowly. There’s been things I’ve wanted to do for some time but I don’t want to set myself up to fail by trying to put them all in place too quickly. I’m trying to learn from experience and experience has taught me that I set my goals too high and expect too much. When it doesn’t pan out I get frustrated and disappointed and give up on the idea all together instead of trying find better ways……..I’ve done it too often.

Getting back into karate has been on my radar but I’ve been uncertain as to where to fit it in…………as luck would have it I got an email last week offering the month of February free to rejoin. I’m going to take advantage of it and test the waters to see where it fits best and make sure it’ll be value for money to actually go ahead with it. What I found last year though was that it offered me physical, mental and spiritual satisfaction and actually got me through a really tough period by offering me purpose and somewhere to be.

I’ll do one but hopefully two kayak sessions to take advantage of the new kayak I bought. I’ll get some gardening done because I feel better when it looks presentable. I’ll start to paint a room in my house so that I’ve finally got the process started and it’s not another thing I’ve been talking about for ages but am yet to do. I’ll be taking a friend’s dog for walks so he can get used to me before he stays with me for two weeks next week. And I’ll continue to get to the gym for a swim, sauna, bike ride, weights session like I’ve done every day this week.

Over the next few months I’ll work on the balance of these things to make sure that my life has purpose, structure, challenge, fun and serves me best because it’s…………..a life worth living. I deleted my dating apps a few weeks ago to give myself this chance and take away the distractions. My hope is that if I get this platform in place then I might find what I’m looking for in a relationship because I’ll find the person that fits me…………instead of me trying to fit what other people have.

There’s been these changes on my mind for some time……..I’ve just not given myself the proper opportunity to make it work for me and sometimes it’s been self sabotage that’s prevented it.

What do you want in your life??

What’s been on your mind for a while but you haven’t done it??

What will help you create your life worth living???

What can you do this weekend to start the process?............a small step
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:06 pm

Hi All……….I hope your Thursday has been safe and you’ve got a safe weekend planned.

I’m in the process of making change in my life but I want that change to be lasting……..not the change I haven’t been able to maintain because I’ve tried too much too soon. It’s hard for me because I tend to jump into things all or nothing. I had a lot of plans for my weekend on Thursday and I never got to quite a few of them which can get me disappointed in myself but I’ve been doing some reflection.

Sure I didn’t get to everything on my list but I did set an exercise platform, began to re-establish my relationship and attitude towards food, got to bed early, worked on my bedtime routine and have begun to get a solid foundation in place. For the last week I’ve been able to maintain this change………but like my recovery I want that week to turn into years. If I can keep focused on these changes a day at a time, that’s how I’ll get to years………same as recovery…….a day at a time.

These changes are important because I’ll feel better about myself if I can maintain them. I’ll feel better physically which gives me more energy to do more things I enjoy. Mentally because I’m actually taking action and not putting things off till “later” or “tomorrow” and letting things build up and become overwhelming. Emotionally because I’m in a better headspace, thinking clearer, getting enough sleep and making better decisions. And spiritually because I’m living life in alignment with my values.

Addiction takes away the pleasure from life. In recovery I’ve found the pleasure in life’s experiences. Living a healthier lifestyle enables me to do more with my life and get more enjoyment. I’m just gonna stay focused on the changes I’ve begun to make recently and stay secure in the knowledge that there’ll always be more to add to my list of things to do. If I continue to focus on each part of the change and implement it bit by bit, get the foundations in place and then add to it I’ll end up in a pretty good place.

It’d be great to hear from someone to answer this question…………..what do you want to change and how can you maintain it?
    1 x
    Zoe Skye

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:25 pm

Hello, I'm new here :?
    Can you tell?? haha. I couldn't even get the confused smiley to show haha.
    I have reached out tonight to phone counsellor, I have set myself a SMART goal to reduce my alcohol consumption, I'm going to print it & stick it on my wall as a reminder of what I'm trying to achieve over the next 2 weeks, rewarding self with a highlighted smiley face for alcohol free nights. I have done this "challenge" once before, and it worked quite well. I'm hoping it will again, and I'm hoping to be able to continue this time....
    I think I'm going to need some support.......
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:56 pm

Hi @Zoe Skye and great work getting on to the counsellor and making SMART goals!! And great work getting the confused smiley face to show!! It did work......the forums just take a bit of getting used to with the way things appear before you submit them.

I'm one of the Peer Workers on here and would love to support you however I can...............what support are you after??? How can I best support you???

Keep me updated on your progress
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:32 pm

Sometimes staying sober is just about riding the waves..........sounds a bit simple doesn't it. But accepting that life is always going to have difficult moments can be a life changer. We can't hide from the tough times and that's something I really wanted to do this week. I wanted to just stay in bed a couple of mornings because the days ahead of me were going to be full of challenges and I wasn't sure I'd be able to cope. That's how powerful our minds can be. They can defeat us before things have actually happened. My mind tries to tell me all the things that might go wrong and it sets me down a pathway of catastrophic thinking. Before I know it I'm almost paralysed by things that don't exist yet..........and probably won't exist.

What I found this week was that just by getting up and facing the day it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it might be. I'm not saying they were easy days...........but they're over now and I've got through the most difficult parts. Not all the outcomes were what I wanted and that's okay, not everything will go my way. There were also some good times and laughs and that's the bit we can forget sometimes. That's the bit our brains don't tell us when we're focused only on the negatives.

So if you're worried about something coming up this weekend try to think about what positives might come from getting through it. If you're worried about being bored at the party if you're not drinking try to think about the laughs you might have with friends if you just go for a couple of hours, leave early and get home safe..........you'll have some positive memories. If you're worried about how you're going to get through the weekend, just think about what you can do Saturday morning to have fun and see where the rest of the day takes you.

Fear is an amazing thing because it stops us doing the things we enjoy............and those fears are usually non existent.

What fears are stopping you from enjoying yourself??

What can you do to enjoy yourself instead of letting fear stopping you??
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:20 pm

Hi All.......Easter is upon us and that means a long weekend. For some people that means celebrating but for others it's a tough time.

Trying not to use can be hard enough but when you throw in the added factors of services being closed, shops being closed, dealing with family, not having family. Sometimes it can feel like everyone is having a good time but you. Or because you're not trying to drink or use you don't feel like you can have a good time. Maybe watching other people celebrate triggers you.

What I want to know is what you can do for the long weekend?

I've got my daughter for the week and a friend and her kids coming to stay the night for Good Friday.

Easter Saturday will be pretty chill.

Easter Sunday will be an Easter egg hunt followed by a drive down the coast to see mum. Maybe we'll get the ferry there or back to break it up. I'm just doing a day trip because any longer with mum is too hard so I have to look after myself. Easter Monday I'll be watching the footy and Tuesday dad is coming for a few hours..........a few hours because that's about the right amount there too.

I feel like that's a pretty good balance and enables me some free time too. I'm actually pretty planned for a change and that makes a big difference when trying to cope with difficult times like this.

What's your plan?

What are you worried about?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:14 pm

Thursday before another long weekend. How did last week go for you? Are you going to do anything different this long weekend??

I’ve got plans to start painting my house. Just the inside and I know I won’t finish but I need to get started because I’ve been talking about it for so long. It’s 4 days to myself as well and a chance to reflect about where I’m at and what changes I might need to make. What better way to do that than a mindfulness activity like painting???

So what have you got planned? How will you stay on track??
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:44 pm

Hi All............What's planned for your weekend?

I've just had a look at the weather report and down here in Melbourne it's starting to get colder.........this Saturday in particular isn't looking great. It's got me thinking that I'm going to have to start coming up with back-up plans and ways to keep busy. I've got my daughter this weekend and I'm thinking about taking her go-karting for the first time...........if she says yes. That's because the weather won't allow us to do our usual stuff. But that's all got me thinking about me and how I'm going to handle things moving forwards.

I'm quite solitary and comfortable in my own company..........these days. It's something I've worked really hard on over the last few years. It's also something that I've learned to accept. Yes I'm a people person but I need solitary time. Too much alone time however isn't healthy and in winter i really struggle. I get the winter blues and that's also something that I've learned to understand and accept as time has gone on. That's why I'm starting to think about it now...........because I need to prepare. I like being outdoors and going for my walks. I like doing things outdoors. I need sunshine for vitamin D and that helps keep my depression at bay. I get inactive during winter, I don't get as much sun and I spend too much time indoors.........and maybe too much time alone.

So I'm not ready to list off the solutions tonight but I am starting to think about them. Knowing there's difficulty ahead is allowing me to think about solutions before the problems kick in. So I'll ask again.........what's on for your weekend?? Any difficulties you can see that you might need to start planning for???

That bloody saying is running through my mind now............"Failing to plan is planning to fail"

Thoughts????
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu May 05, 2022 8:35 pm

Hi All, anything planned for your weekend?

It’s my birthday this Saturday and Mother’s Day Sunday but I’ll be keeping quiet. Unfortunately I’ve been around a number of positive Covid cases and whilst I’m still showing as negative, I just don’t want to take the risk of showing positive and passing it on to others……..most of all my mum for whom it could be fatal.

It’s got me thinking about my birthdays in recovery and just how different they look. They’ve mostly been on midweek days and I haven’t celebrated because birthdays are just another day for me…………..but this year it’s on a Saturday and for some reason I’m feeling a bit different about it. I’m feeling like I should have planned something. Since getting in to recovery my friendship group has expanded but it also looks very different and I don’t see some of my closest friends as often. In part this is because there’s been marriages, babies and suburb moves……..but in part it’s been through my choice because those friends still party and I choose not to be around that lifestyle. I have different pockets of friends, different groups. I don’t know how they’d all fit together in one room.

What I’ve been thinking about this week is how I could celebrate my birthday and maybe this is what I’ll look at for next year. I could go out for breakfast, lunch or dinner with some of them…….maybe even make a day of it and have brekky with one group, lunch with another and finish with a dinner group too. There’s group activities like go-karting, playing pool, ten pin bowling……..maybe even an escape room. I’m glad I started to share this on here because it’s only now that my mind is really opening up to the possibilities. Life doesn’t stop in recovery………it gets better. Celebrations don’t need to stop either………they just look different.

The most important part of my birthday will be lunch with my daughter and her mum. Even though that marriage ended 10 years ago and our family looks different, doesn’t mean we don’t do family things from time to time and celebrate birthdays together. That’s cause for celebration in itself.

I’ll see how I’m feeling towards the weekend about whether I go and see mum. That’s another gift of recovery. Even though it’s a difficult relationship, it’s a blessing to still have and spending the day with her will make her happy………and that’s important. Life isn’t all about me.

Mother’s Day can be triggering for some too so be sure to look after yourself if that’s the case for you. Do you need to get some supports in place now? Is it an idea to make sure you’re around people for the day?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu May 12, 2022 8:20 pm

Hi All,

Talk to me.........what are you up to for your weekend?

Are you excited??

Nervous??

Why??

I'm largely unplanned for my weekend but it's with my daughter so we'll just see what we get up to. As it gets colder I don't get as motivated to get outside but I forget how good the winter sun can be............even though it's not winter yet. So I'll plan to get outside for some fresh air, we might go for a hit of tennis or just kick the soccer ball. After the week I've had so far I know getting outside will do me the world of good and I really want to feel like I've done things with the weekend and not waste it.

And you????
    0 x

Return to “Thursday check-in's - Join us weekly!”