Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Question Time

PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Question Time

Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:13 pm

Thought I'd drop this here and see if anyone has any questions about addiction or recovery?

What's brought you to the forums?

What's happening for you?

What's on your mind?

What were you hoping to get out of the forums?

When you respond can you tag any of the following by putting the @ before our names so we see your question and can respond..................
    @PnorkelPW @ScorpionPW @Lhiver @SunflowerSeed @EMMI ................maybe one of the moderators can post all their names on here??
    Last edited by PnorkelPW on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    0 x
    MoodyM00

Re: Question Time

Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Where is best place to go or look at for trying to recover from drug addiction while having an active user in the house?

How can i stop the cycle of addiction so my sons dont have to go through addiction?

Thanks
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:16 am

these are really useful questions @MoodyM00 @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW do you have any words of wisdom here?

Any others in the forum?
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:19 pm

Some great questions @MoodyM00 and it sounds like a really challenging situation, thanks for sharing.

Environment can be so important when trying to make changes but sometimes we don't have the luxury to change our environment and might be in a situation such as yourself where even though you're seeking change, you're having to live with somebody actively using. But the important thing to remember is that recovery is ALWAYS possible and physical barriers can't stop you from putting action into recovery, they can make it more challenging yes, but not impossible.

A great place to start could be 12 step meetings, with NA the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using. So that means that if you're in a situation where you're in a house with somebody using, or even still using yourself, you can go to an NA meeting and get support. Everybody there are people who are in recovery or seeking recovery and it can be a safe place to go to get some space from a difficult living situation you may be in. There were times for me when I was living with family members or people close to me that were using when I was in recovery and going to meetings helped me so much, they were like a refuge and the support I got there helped me to stay clean throughout those times and eventually end up in better living situations that serve my recovery.

When it comes to breaking the cycle of addiction in a family as well this is something that is huge for me. My parents met in a detox and were in and out of recovery my whole life. Even though the cycle didn't quite break with me as I have had my own journey through addiction and recovery, it meant that I knew where to go to get help when I was ready. This is only because I was around them in recovery more than I was around them using and them being in recovery meant that my childhood was much better than it could have been otherwise. I think my parents had to accept that I was going to make my own choices and my own mistakes and just hope that I would not have to live the same life as them. The really important part of this for me was that they couldn't control my journey and I had to go through my own ups and downs to discover what would work for me to get recovery and to live a happy, joyous and free life. They could plant seeds but they had to let me have that journey. I'm lucky that I've had my son in recovery so he has never been exposed to any using, my hope is that the cycle breaks with him but it's still a case of being powerless over his journey in life, being there to guide, support and provide knowledge but ultimately his choices are his choices and as a parent that's difficult to accept at times.

I suppose my advice would be to try and put your recovery first, because by putting your recovery first you're putting everybody you love first, which of course includes your kids.

If you would like any information on how to access NA meetings let us know and please continue to share your journey with us too, it helps us all :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:41 pm

@MoodyM00 as @ScorpionPW mentioned, NA is a great place for you to find help with your addictions and build a recovery and support network at the same time. I'd suggest adding SMART Recovery to this as well https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/ . SMART Recovery is a group that helps you set a goal for the week and work towards it. It's all about looking forwards and finding solution to issues. Check out the website.

I'd also suggest NarAnon https://naranon.com.au/ to help with living with a loved one in addiction. It works on the same principles as NA and I've known plenty of people who attend both NA and NarAnon because they are trying to make change in their lives while living with someone who isn't ready to make the same change.

I also agree with @ScorpionPW about not being able to control the outcomes for your kids. The best we can do is set examples of recovery and be there to support them through whatever direction their journey takes them. By living your life as best you can you'll set an example for them to follow.

Let me know if you try any of the groups and how they go
    1 x
    liljh21

Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:03 am

Hi All,

Ok so im just wondering how often people are usually actively on the forums. Im about to activley stop using drugs and alcohol for the first time in my life. I can't afford to go to a facility to do a 7 day detox so I am going to home detox. I don't really have a support network and it one of the things that does make it hard for me to stop. I get so lonely that after about a week, I end up contacting the people that I wanted to distance myself from just so I didn't feel so alone. So to get ahead of this potentially happening I decided to actually utilise the forums instead of logging in and then logging off 5 minutes later, and just see if anyone has any words of wisdom.
    0 x
    Melody12

Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:50 am

Hi @liljh21 ,

Its good that you are reaching out to connect with the community. Support at this time can be benificial.

Overnight there are fewer people online. In the meantime you may find some options to consider on our website www.counsellingonline.org.au and click on find support. The website is interactive and you may find some options there that appeal to you.

Hope this has been helpful.

Warm Regards,
    Melody12
    0 x
    liljh21

Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:06 am

@Melody12, thank you for your reply. I attempted to register for an online meeting through SMART recovery last night, but there were so may to choose from. I live in Brisbane and I vaguely remember seeing one in Brisbane, however I was hoping to attend a women's only online group meeting. Do you or anyone out there in forum land have any recommendations on which meeting time would suit me?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:29 pm

@liljh21 unfortunately we aren't connected with SMART recovery directly so I'm not sure about specific sessions, however, There are a few woman only groups listed on the SMART website, in the online section.

I would recommend scrolling through and finding the ones that say they are specifically for women, as they do exist!
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:43 pm

Hi @liljh21, can I just say that it's a huge step that you're taking here and thank you for being so open and honest about where you're at.

When I was first trying to get clean I had a really similar issue where I knew that I needed to stop using but I also felt really alone whenever I did. The only people I knew were people who used and I figured out quite quickly that if I kept hanging out with those people that it was only a matter of time before I picked up again.

It was essential to find new connections so I could move on from the relationships that didn't serve me in my recovery. For me, I found these connections at 12 step meetings. I'm wondering if you've ever tried NA or AA before? It's a space where you will find others in recovery who have found a new way to live without using or drinking who can share their experience and support you on your journey.

Here is a link to find NA meetings Australia wide. You can put your area in and if you're wanting to do meetings online there are multiple womens meetings across multiple locations that you can access: https://www.na.org.au/multi/meetings/

Here is something similar for AA meetings as well: https://meetings.aa.org.au/near/

It would be great to know how you're travelling through your detox at home and if there's,any other support we can offer?

Try to be gentle on yourself, it can be rocky at the start but you definitely don't have to do it alone! :)
    0 x
    GretaGarbage99

Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:36 am

I am new here. I have finally managed to get part time work. Only problem is i know i have to detox from my daily ice use. At home detox only option ATM. I have done detox at hospitals and relapses when completed the detox. One fine I lasted 8 weeks. Since then I have tried about four times at home. Day 3-4 i generally relapse. I have set goals today to delete all friends who use and dealers. Also to go for a walk and write in journal. Detox starts today.

My question is I know I need support but I cant tell my dad because he has lost two children to addiction and I am only one left. My mum died two years ago. He has had to cope with a lot of loss. He is 81 and I just cant cause him more worry and suffering at this stage in his life.

So i want to attend NA. So here is my question.

My drug is ice and i use every day. Ten year habit. I know i will sleep for about 2-3 days. When should i attend my first meeting? I was thinking day four because thats when i usually relapse as the depression, craving and feeling ill at ease is just awful.

Any advice greatly appreciated. It will be hard to drag myself to a meeting, or even do online meeting but laying around in bed is not the answer.

Thank you
    1 x
    EMMI
    Community Manager

Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:47 am

Hi @GretaGarbage99 .
    Well done on securing some part time work that's great. And secondly for reaching out to us on the forums. I can hear from your message that you are really willing to make some changes in your life for the better.
    Sounds like you have already been very proactive this morning about goal setting, that's great. You may find the thread about goal setting viewtopic.php?f=58&t=607 useful to read.
    I can understand why you would find it difficult to reach out to your dad as support, and I'm sorry to hear about your loss within the family.
    You have definitely come to the right place in reaching out to us within the forum community.
    It is a really supportive community and you are not alone.
    I will tag our 2 peer support workers here @ScorpionPW @PnorkelPW who may be able to provide you with some insight and advice around NA meetings, and the best approach to take going forward.
    There is also SMART Recovery groups which can be accessed online, see here: https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au
    Keep up the good work, and do keep us posted with how you are going.
    :)
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:39 pm

Hi @GretaGarbage99,

Thanks so much for being so open and honest about where you're at, sounds like a tricky spot but it also sounds like you've got the desire to be proactive.

I remember everytime I would detox I would feel like I was dragging my feet and it's true that the physical pain was difficult but it was only this time that I realised I had to put the action in from day one otherwise my thinking would get the better of me and I wouldn't be long before I picked up.

It's great to hear you've decided to go to some NA meetings, they honestly saved my life and have been the main reason I have been able to build the life I have today. One of the great things about NA is that the only desire for membership is the desire to stop using which means you can go literally in any state, whatever you're going through to get support. You don't have to wait for any point and if you don't feel physically able to go out to a face to face meeting it's a good idea to log onto a Zoom one asap because the less amount of time you're alone with your thinking, as you say "laying around in bed" then the better chance you have with a support network around you.

One thing that has been so true for me is that I had to live my way into a new way of thinking, I couldn't think my way into a new way of living. I did meetings everyday throughout my detox and even though it was one hell of a rollercoaster ride, just being around other people in recovery helped normalise the experience, reminded me that I wasn't alone or the only person going through it and it gave me a constant reminder of hope that I could have a new, recovery focussed life.

If you check some meetings out and you have any questions or even if you just wanna touch base and let us know what's happening for you, we're always here. Remember you can tag myself or the other peer worker @PnorkelPW by putting @ before our username and we'll be sure to respond :D
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:56 pm

Hi @GretaGarbage99 and thanks for sharing on the forums. @ScorpionPW has offered some great advice and I don't have much to add other than............"just go to meetings".

There were times in my early recovery where I went to two or three meetings a day. One mate and I who went to rehab together used to spend the day on public transport getting around to meetings. it was a great way to fill in the day and stay busy but also to meet other people i recovery, get some phone numbers and increase my network. Most days I'd go to one meeting but I'd choose different meetings to expand my network more too. Then if I found a meeting I really liked I'd make that one a permanent fixture and keep going back.

When you find a meeting you really like make it your home group and plan all your other meetings around that. At your home group you can get a service position and really cement a network.

Meetings are a safe space and in early recovery there's no better place than a safe place.

Let us know how you go
    2 x

Return to “Thursday check-in's - Join us weekly!”