Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Let's Talk Residential Detox..........What Happens???

PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Let's Talk Residential Detox..........What Happens???

Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:45 pm

Let's Talk Residential Detox..........What Happens???

For some people, an admission to detox will be part of the journey……..but what happens?? I went to a private rehab and didn’t go to a detox but a few years later I was working in one and did so for a couple of years. I met some amazing people and saw them make great progress. Some people came through multiple times, some only once. Some people lasted a few hours, some were there for a day, others for up to 28 days. People discharged for many reasons which I’ll go into shortly. Most detox’s are only 7 days but we ran a 28 day program and people could do anywhere from 7 – 28 days. It doesn’t matter how many times you go………..what matters is that you’re there trying.

Detox is a chance to get away from your usual routine and clean out your system in a safe environment. There’ll be staff there to support you and you’ll get medication to help you through the process if that’s what is needed. Not all substances will require medication as part of the withdrawal process. Most people coming in for alcohol will be given Valium for the first few days because of the risk of seizures associated with alcohol withdrawal and then come off it. It wouldn’t make much sense to go into detox for one substance and come out taking another one.

How it would be like in detox.

Depending on where you go you’ll either get a room to yourself or you may need to share a room. One of the hardest things about detox is the communal living aspect. We had up to 12 people at a time and living with others had moments of conflict for all sorts of reasons. There’s cleanliness, not doing the dishes properly, people not doing assigned jobs, what to watch on the TV, being around personalities that you wouldn’t usually be around…………but everyone is there for the purpose of withdrawing from a substance. Patience and tolerance are needed and that’s not easy when you’re withdrawing and have limited stocks in reserve.

There’ll be a timetable for the day. Usually up early enough for medication and breakfast with time for a shower before morning meeting. This is where you’ll go through a plan for the day and find out what’s on, assign tasks such as cooking or cleaning, and work through any issues that may have arisen. There’ll be therapeutic groups during the day with breaks in between…………think similar to a school timetable. Depending where you are there’ll be a roster for preparing lunch and dinner each day and some people aren’t that strong with cooking skills so can need some extra support. Groups can be anything from art, relapse prevention, emotion regulation, communication, sleep hygiene, physical activities, conflict resolution, and much more. You’ll be expected to attend all groups and this can be hard when you’re tired and withdrawing. What’s trying to be achieved though is to help you establish a routine which is important when you leave and go home.

Something to keep in mind

Most detox’s are non-smoking and in all honesty I think it’s what contributes to a lot of early discharges. Nicotine withdrawal is really tough, it’s well documented that nicotine is highly addictive and one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from. Most people aren’t prepared for it and while you’ll get nicotine replacement such as patches, lozenges, etc it’ll still be hard. There’s a high chance you’ll already be irritable and emotional, feeling sick depending on the level of drug or alcohol withdrawal you’re going through, tired, anxious, stressed, scared, embarrassed, feeling guilt or shame, and much more.

What’s important to remember is that it’s a safe and supported environment. If you can talk to the staff about what you’re feeling it’ll be easier. People miss friends, family, kids, pets and that has an emotional toll. 7 days really isn’t long in the grand scheme of things but it can be too much for some people. Maybe you do end up self discharging before your 7 days are up but at least you’ll know what to expect next time if you’ve never been before. Staff will ensure a safe environment for everyone and aggression will not be tolerated and can result in being discharged.

Some people use detox to get a break from their substance use. Some are doing it as a requirement of their admission to rehab. Public rehabs will usually always require you to go straight from detox to your rehab admission.

What I loved watching the most through people’s admission was their progress. To see how sick some people were on day one to walking out there a week later with colour in their cheeks, eating 3 meals a day, energy returned, a smile on their face, and feeling like they can work towards their goals.

If you have any experiences you’d care to share about detox to help others who might not have been and are wondering what it’s like, please do so here. I’d just ask that this thread isn’t used as a name and shame if you’ve had a negative experience. If your experience was negative then please share it but just don’t name the facility.

I hope this has been helpful. It’s a pretty brief overview and if you have any questions please tag one either me or @scorpionPW and we’ll be happy to answer.

Adding an edit………..

As I said at the start, detox is a safe and supported space to help you get through the tough early days of withdrawal. It’s hard to do at home because it’s much easier to succumb to temptation and access your substance. How many times have you said to yourself “Just once more and that’s it” or “After today I’m not doing this again” or something along those lines only to find yourself still doing it days and weeks later? Detox isn’t easy, but it’s a break from your regular environment which is what a lot of people need.

It’s only 7 days……….use it to help get you in a space where you can better work with your GP, Psych, Drug and Alcohol Counsellor, Friends, Family or whoever else is helping you along the journey. Detox isn’t a magic bullet. You are still going to want to use because that’s what addiction does. Use detox as an opportunity to get your mind, body, and spirit to a place where you can have a clear head and make better decisions about moving forwards. You still need the support of others to help you create a life without substances and that takes time, energy, and a fair bit of trial and error. Be patient and if you need to do another detox at some stage then that’s cool. Get onto it quick before things spiral out of control. It doesn’t matter how many times you go to detox………..the quicker you get back there the better off you’ll be. Look for the lessons from each lapse or relapse so that you can try not to repeat the same mistakes.

There’s a saying that “The world record for abstinence is 24 hours” because all you gotta do is get through today and get your head safely on the pillow at night without using. No matter what else has happened that day, it’s been a great day if you haven’t used. Do that “A day at a time” and you’re on the way to a much better space. A residential detox will help with this.

Detox………….not easy………….but worth it.
    3 x
    Cakie181

Re: Let's Talk Residential Detox..........What Happens???

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:06 am

Hey....i have been lucky enough,and strong enough to manage to quit using gear (ice) by myself,without any help or support with withdrawls and the cravings,aswell as stop drinking and pot aswell,but my son in laws brother just recently got kicked out of detix for smoking a cigarette in the bathroom area and setting off all the smoke alarms in there,he's currently,today and yesterday been using ice,and is shooting up on his way to detox,for a 2 week stay,and is already lining up getting to his dealer as soon az he gets out of detox,he's also on olanzapine and diazapam and valium,which he abuses,and givez to my son in law,an addict aswell,on ice,oxazepam,olanzapine,valium,diazapam,anything he can get his hands on and comes in pill form,he'll take it....but yeah,anyways,i'm currently on aropax,olanzapine and oxazepam,which i hardly take due to having them stolen ftom me on several ocassions,but yeah,i dont know where else that's out of the way,hidden or locked away,but is still easily accessable for me twice a day,i've run out of stash spots,any thoughts or suggestions on that one please?
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:29 pm

@Cakie181 I wonder if your pharmacist could hold your meds and you get them on a daily pickup? It's a bit of extra hassle to go there each day but at least they won't disappear and you'll have access.

Great work on kicking your ice habit!!............That's not an easy thing to do
    0 x
    Cakie181

Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:25 pm

Hey....yeah,thought about leaving my certain meds at the chemist,but doing daily trips in there isnt financially available to me at this point in time,but found my old lock box the other day (combination required) so will keep my meds in that from now on,and put my lock box on the top shelf right at the back of my built in wardrobe, so,that's one less stress i have cleared now...
    Thanks
    Cakie
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:35 pm

That's great to hear @Cakie181, I remember for me each little thing I could do to relieve a bit of stress, one less thing to worry about and just chunking it down one bit at a time, one day at a time, one moment at a time helped so much.

Just so you know as well. if you're replying to one of us if you just put the @ symbol before our usernames we will get a tag and a notification so will be sure to respond :D
    0 x
    Cakie181

Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:13 am

@ScorpionPW oh,yep yep,sorry,i keep forgetting to do that,just like i did not 5 minutes ago! Lol....ooops!
    1 x
    PocketRocket88

Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:06 am

Can anyone suggest a place where I can for detox just to have a break from ice... And hopefully from there I can figure out what I want to do... I know that I want to kick my Ice addiction in the butt but am too weak to do so on my own... I'm on a downhill spiral in terms of my addiction and mental health... I've been labelled by 4 rehabs that I went to as a high risk for suicide which were the reason why I got discharged from all of them even though they're all dually diagnosis rehab even the one that is known for mental health rehab which was Grow. I can oy last 3-4 months clean and almost always and if something stressful happens I end up going back to using again... I don't have money to pay for a detox place but I do have NDIS funding, so any place that can support me as a whole and is either NDIS or govt funded facility. Thanks.
    0 x
    PocketRocket88

Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:06 am

Can anyone suggest a place where I can for detox just to have a break from ice... And hopefully from there I can figure out what I want to do... I know that I want to kick my Ice addiction in the butt but am too weak to do so on my own... I'm on a downhill spiral in terms of my addiction and mental health... I've been labelled by 4 rehabs that I went to as a high risk for suicide which were the reason why I got discharged from all of them even though they're all dually diagnosis rehab even the one that is known for mental health rehab which was Grow. I can oy last 3-4 months clean and almost always and if something stressful happens I end up going back to using again... I don't have money to pay for a detox place but I do have NDIS funding, so any place that can support me as a whole and is either NDIS or govt funded facility. Thanks.
    0 x
    pulse88

Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:06 pm

Hi @PocketRocket88 It sounds like this cycle is so defeating and tremendously frustrating for you. That each time in rehab you are being discharged early without completing treatment, makes me think getting treatment support another way might be an option to consider. Have you thought about approaching some treatment and support within the community, such as undertaking a day rehab type program. That might allow you to source different supports in the community, whilst getting help around your meth use at the same time. These programs can have better outcomes, as they have more flexibility built in to them with regards to engagement. You can find out more info by contacting your state's Drug Helpline 1800 250 015. They should have a list of up-to-date programs based in the community. Hang in there, you've come a long way.
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi @PocketRocket88,
    You are going through a rough time. Well done for not giving up and keep on looking for help.
    I have tagged our peer workers in this post to see if they have some suggestion about rehab services you can access or any other services that might be helpful to have a look. @PnorkelPW, @ScorpionPW

Breaking the circle can be very difficult. You mentioned you start using if anything stressful happened. Perhaps you can start exploring some other things you can do to help you relax. Is there something you enjoying doing? Any hobbies?
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:35 pm

No worries at all @Cakie181! You can always edit a post after you post it as well to add a tag if you ever forget and would like a reply. How is everything going for you? :)

Sounds like you're in a really tough spot @PocketRocket88...But it's great you've reached out and we are more than happy to share any resources or anything we know of that might help.

It would be really helpful to know what state you're in so we can share something that will be as of much benefit as possible?

I'm really sorry to hear you had that experience with treatment but it's great that you're still trying.

I can really relate to what you're saying about only lasting a few months...It was the same for me everytime I would detox it would only be a matter of time before I picked up again after getting everything out of my system. It took me a good couple of years of repeating this cycle to learn what I needed to actually stay stopped and find new ways of coping with life and all of it's ups and downs.

Hang in there, I hope you continue to reach out and once we get a bit more info from you I'll be happy to share anything I know of.
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi @PocketRocket88 …………..this is where the system can be quite frustrating at times. Mental Health services say the problem is someone’s drug and alcohol use and the Drug and Alcohol services say the problem lies with their mental health. The truth is that for some people it’s both. I feel for you because you’ve said that you’ve found it hard with dual diagnosis places as well. This is easy for me to sit here and say but……….don’t give up.

It’s hard for me to make suggestions on places as I only know some of the Victorian services but I’d get onto @pulse88 ’s suggestion and call the national number. They’ll be able to put you in touch with detox services. Here in Victoria there’s a lot of fully funded detox services so people don’t need to pay. And on that………..have you thought about trying services in other states???

Another possibility is taking an approach where you get your supports working together. You could speak to a drug and alcohol service or Mental Health service and try to get a Case Manager or Care and Recovery Worker who could co-ordinate a care team for you. This would involve your GP, Psych, Counsellor, Mental Health worker, AOD Counsellor, and whoever else you have. They could try and get everyone together with you to set some goals and work out a structured and supported plan with a realistic timeline. This way everyone would be working together and maybe further down the track you’d be in a better position to be able to complete a rehab?? It takes time but you’ve come so far.

I hope this has helped and I hope you find a service that can help.
    1 x

Return to “Let’s Talk!”