Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Share an inspiring or motivating quote

PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Share an inspiring or motivating quote

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:42 pm

"I never lose, I either win or I learn" - Nelson Mandela

Another great choice of quote @Peace Dove

I've sat on this for a while..............there's always a lesson

I don't believe in failure. No matter whether a goal is achieved, a lesson is learnt. Recovery is like that and it's something a friend of mine is going through at the moment. She's had a number of setbacks and is getting closer and closer to breaking point. I don't mean breaking point where they give up, I mean breaking point where they finally start to listen and do things differently...........I hope. They haven't won yet............but they are learning.

My many failed attempts to stop using taught me many lessons. So did my many attempts to start using safely again. I couldn't see it at the time though.........I always felt like a failure. I always felt like I lost the battle. Something eventually clicked though and when I was at one of the lowest points in my life I started to look at things differently. I started to realise that all the times I thought I'd failed were examples of what not to do next time.

Every day when I journal I look at what I might do differently next time............and what I might do the same. If I can just get up the next daya dn face up to the world again I'm a winner. It might not be the greatest day of my life but I'll learn something about what I'm capable of...........or what I'm not and how that might affect my outlook moving forwards. Because moving forwards is what life is about and you can't move forwards effectively if you're always looking behind you.

I don't look at decisions as right or wrong because I never actually get to find out what would have happened if I'd gone the other way. It's all speculation in the end. What I look at is how I might do things differently next time.............and therein lies the lesson.
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:13 pm

I've been including quotes in a daily email I'm sending at work............I found one I really liked the other day

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” Thomas Eddison

That was me in active addiction. I just thought life should be easier. I avoided the hard work. I worked hard...........but I avoided the hard work. In recovery I've learned that by working through the tough times and facing my fears, the rewards come. I understand now that if I commit to things and do whatever is necessary, more opportunities come.

Recovery has taught me this and this is how I've got recovery.
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:39 pm

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." — Michael Altshuler

Sure things may not have gone to plan but it doesn't mean that you have to stay on that flight path. What are you going to do to change course and reach your destination???
    1 x

Return to “Weekend activities!”