Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • 3 things to be grateful for

PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: 3 things to be grateful for

Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:53 pm

I haven’t done this for a few weeks and it’s abut the only time I write out my gratefuls so I’m gonna try get back into the swing on here…..

Three things I’m grateful for today are……….

- Being part of someone’s support network. It’s a two-way street because when they reach out for help it gets me thinking about my recovery and whether I’m doing all I need to be…………..and it feels good to help

- The four day weekend I just had, the sun that’s been shining and the motivation that’s been returning for me. The longer weekend gave me the space to rest and relax and to start ticking off some of the jobs I’ve had building up like the gardening. I’ve put things off for too long which has been weighing me down mentally…………there’s more work to be done and I haven’t completed everything but I’ve been reminded that just doing things bit by bit get results

- The 10kgs I’ve lost. It’s been hard work, has taken commitment and I’ve got more to do but it’s reward for effort. Getting up at 5am to exercise, cutting down portion sizes and really watching what I eat………..and keeping it balanced with a burger and chips from time to time. I feel better physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually as a result.

Gratitude helps me keep things in perspective
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Today I'm grateful for...

- The fact that my son was asleep on time tonight

- Celebrating my 13 years in recovery on Saturday night

- The fact that my mum is in Melbourne, that I get to see her and that she's ok after going through the floods
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:23 pm

Gratitude helps ground me. I’ve been lost in thinking that has seen me focused to far in the future and more concerned about wants rather than needs.

This week, 3 things I’m grateful for are…………….

- Getting the opportunity to scatter my mate’s ashes tomorrow. He died in September last year and lived in Queensland. The opportunity has just presented now for us to get together and do it

- I’ve had a car sitting needing fixing for 5 months……….it started yesterday and the problem preventing me from selling it has fixed itself. It’s back on the market

- I’m grateful my daughter is okay. She’s got covid but so far is getting through alright after a rough couple of days initially
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:16 pm

I’m especially grateful today………..it’s been a rough few days unlike anything I’ve experienced in life before.

Three things I’m grateful for today:

- My niece almost lost her life but will live another day

- The opportunity to sprinkle a mate’s ashes 6 months after he died and celebrate his life

- The things I’ve learnt about myself and in recovery that have helped me work through difficult circumstances

Life is precious and needs to be appreciated and celebrated. Try to find something positive about every day.
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:49 pm

Gotta love bit of gratitude and I feel I need it after a tough couple of weeks. Three things I’m grateful for today are………..

- My niece continuing to improve and get back on track

- Making difficult decisions that don’t always feel right but are right for me at the time

- A weekend with my daughter after three weeks apart……….geez I missed her
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

3 things to be grateful for

Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:25 pm

I thought I would start up another thread for some gratitude lists as gratitude is a tool that has helped me so much in my recovery journey and continues to help me.

I was told very early on in my journey that a grateful addict won't use. I wasn't quite sure what it meant at the time but I've discovered what this means for me. The core of my addiction is the belief that I need to reach for something outside of myself to change the way that I feel, that something needs to change and is generally met with a sense of discontentment. When I'm in the feeling of gratitude I am content and happy with everything just the way it is. Therefore, if I'm in a state where I'm content and happy with everything the way that it is, it's much more unlikely that I'll reach for something outside of myself to change the way that I feel.

In saying that today I am grateful for...

- My parents being so incredibly supportive whilst going through big challenges with my son

- The fact that I get to visit my friend who moved down to Geelong this weekend and have some fun at the NA convention

- The fact that I am more fit and healthy than I have been in a longtime
    1 x
    teapot

Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:38 am

I'm grateful for:
    - having a body that I can move pretty freely and explore the world in
    - my collection of house plants, looking after them brings me so much joy
    - borders to WA finally being relaxed and having a date to see my family again!
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:51 pm

Nice one @ScorpionPW

I’ve been feeling self indulgent and focusing on myself. I don’t think I’d class it as selfish…………just focused heavily on my own wants. Not needs……..wants. That’s when I know I need a bit of a check-up and one way to do that is to focus on some gratefuls.

So……….three things I’m grateful for today are………..

- Decision making being made easier by the elimination of choices. When there is too much choice I fall into the trap of getting my needs and wants mixed up. Sometimes I need the choice taken out of my hands to understand what my needs are.

- That friendship doesn’t change just because I haven’t seen someone for a while. I caught up with a mate to watch the footy on Friday night and I hadn’t seen him in almost a year. My head can play tricks at times like this so it was great to have a laugh and catch-up. The best part was that it felt like there’d been no time apart

- A sunny weekend that I used to get some fresh air and nature to clear my mind. My head has been pretty busy lately and I haven’t been really successful in switching off. It’s amazing what sitting in the middle of the bush listening to the sounds of nature can do to still my mind………and sitting on my rock listening to the waves. It’s simple stuff but it works.
    2 x
    Azura

Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Practicing gratitude has really helped me . It makes me feel less alone .I got a great app back in 2018 called Bliss and I was using it when my father was very sick . It's beautiful to read now that he has passed. Am so glad I recorded it.
    Three things that I am grateful for : That I have great ,safe accommodation that I can afford ( this is a daily )

For having such excellent friends and particularly for being able to hang with my friend and walk to Bondi on the sunny Sunday we just had .

That my young cat is getting better after a trip to the vet.
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:18 am

Nice one @Azura, love reading your gratitude list. Sometimes it's the simple things that really count, especially when things are challenging :)

- Having a great weekend with my son after him being away for a couple of weeks

- The fact that I get so much fulfillment, joy and esteem from my job

- My dad and the rock that he is for me
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:32 pm

- Being able to go on a little holiday with my son over the long weekend because of all the public holidays

- Having lost 18kg and beginning to fit into some of my favorite clothes again

- Feeling so connected with the people I work with
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:28 pm

I’m feeling pretty grateful as I sit here now so thought I’d write it down

Three things I’m grateful for are

- The 11 days off I had to reset and refocus

- Reaffirming that goals give me something to work towards and it doesn’t matter how quickly I do or don’t achieve them……….I can always reassess my goals

- Having a weekend with some sun shining again and a great game of golf
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:37 am

It's been a week of reconnecting with some very dear friends of mine who are like family and rediscovering passions that I lost through the lockdowns. It feels like a perfect time to reflect and draw on some gratitude...

- Rediscovering my love and connection to music and getting back into the studio

- Being able to choose who I call my family

- Feeling empowered to pursue my passions again
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon May 02, 2022 11:06 pm

11 days off sounds amazing @PnorkelPW!

- The Golden State Warriors winning the first game of this play off series

- The fact that my son is having a really positive beginning to this term after a lot of challenges at the end of last term

- Being able to be present and supportive with my family while my grandfather is in palative care
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed May 04, 2022 11:46 pm

- Having a moment of connection with my manager that made me realise my workplace has become so much more than just a workplace to me

- A really lovely night with my son cuddling up and watching the NBA

- The fact that I've reconnected with music and I'm motivated to create again
    0 x

Return to “Weekend activities!”