Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Exhausted

Share with us any questions or suggestions you may have for our forum here. We'd love to hear from you!
    Calmer7

Exhausted

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am

Hello,

I am an alcoholic and very tired of my inability to just stop drinking. Years. Not to mention how much I spend every week. I find myself clean and loving being sober for a day or two, then once again I've got a bottle of wine hidden and I just drink the whole thing in a few hours, often more, can't sleep and screw the next morning completely, feeling hungover, tired and anxious.

Does anyone who has succeeded in quitting drinking have ideas for how to distract my mind when the urge hits? There's a window of about 3-4 hrs that I need to pass through.

I didn't like AA meetings.

I dream of being sober for at least 6 months, because I just know how good I'll feel.

Everything else in my life is pretty good, so I don't understand how I keep f@*!ing myself over every other day with this addiction.
    2 x
    Cat7

Re: Exhausted

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Welcome to the community @Calmer7,

Sounds like this is a great place for you - it’s really important to know that you’re not alone and I'm sure so many on here can relate to your experiences.

Is there anything you’ve tried in the past at some stage that’s helped you through the urge? There's a few good suggestions in the thread "Activities to do instead of drinking" but like you I'm curious to hear more suggestions from others too.

Looking forward to hearing more
    3 x
    Djarrimiri

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:16 pm

I am the same. Wish people had offered some ideas.

In the past, I've replaced drinking with hiking and reading. During COVID19, few things are working. The only thing that saves me is to not order a delivery.
    I did my first order 2 weeks ago, and drank the lot - about a bottle of wine a day. Finished it off last night and was filthy tired and exasperated with myself today.

I'm worried now ... I will ring TP when I get the urge to order and I've registered for the Ready 2 Change programme. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow, will tell him what I'm doing. Friends are too ready to excuse the behaviour so I'm glad finally to have access support to stop.

My GP helped me through my last bout in 2017, when I was suicidal due to work stress. He'll probably want to have regular check-ins and hopefully will be glad that I have already actioned getting help through TP. He gave me the number for Turning Point in 2017.
    2 x
    Renae38

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:27 am

I agree
    1 x
    Simply me

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Heylo Calmer7, Djarrimiri, Renae38, Folks...

Felt to start by writing some things I do which may contain a seed, or not.
    I find calling /chat /writing via some form of open safe connection helps when cravings hit...

Kettle's on, starting point. Herbal tea, 'Motherwort' (Leonuris cardiaca) she's my go to chill pill and has the loving yet protective vibe of a rocking Mum. I admit openly I'm on psych meds, this herb is as potent as some of them with no side effects I know of. You can find her at health food shops, I find dried as a tea best. 2 or 3 teaspoons in a pot n let it brew a whiles to get potent, 10 mins is good. Tastes bitter n takes getting used to but does the job of calming nervous system and heart racing agitation (in my experience). 2 cups n I should be in a bit of a better space. Check out supermarket shelves for herbs like Chamomile, or 'relaxation' mixes. Dandelion coffee, can be drunk with sweetener and milk like the caffeinated version, but great for liver recuperation. There's just something about a cuppa....

I found having a list of activities I could turn to which 'nourish' to my tastes, whacked on the fridge, got me through. When your brains jammed with a craving, it can help to have a go to high, n lower level, energy 'to do list' to pick something from. It seems a spectrum, whether you have any to expend on distraction, or you're just ready to veg out, or in my case at times, call it a day and crash early. My hardest time of day is arvo / eveningk, so some nights yup in bed by 7.30 party on....

Some higher energy distractions: Walks, even blockies (might scavenge something from a chuck out pile or engage with nature). Swims. If able to focus I like crafting n using my hands diy style: for me in the now this means hand sewing n botanical dyeing or drawing n doodling (not being concerned with outcome just do it). Cooking a nourishing meal n eating it, play guitar n sing (look out neighbours), read n research a tangent, tai chi, hobbies rock. Can you tell I'm not the gym type...cardio not going to happen. Oh yeah clean-domestics crank the stereo and kitchen dance...

Some lower energy distractions: Curl up a whiles with my fella (if he's within cuddle reach) or / and cat (generally is), lay / collapse on grass somewhere with sunlight being bonus, water garden / plants, chat / call someone including Lifeline, CounsellingOnline.org, friend. Cuppa alone or shared, listen to music, light a candle, pull an oracle card, eat a strong mint (repeat copiously throughout day). Gaze inanely at a body of water or view, scents are good=essential oils, incense, smudge. Watch a dvd, generally kideos as violence triggers me, podcasts or audio talks. Homemade mantra's / prayers/ call outs for spirit allies to walk beside me....

That's probably enough from me....
    Blessings n good vibes....
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi @Simply me thank you for sharing your go to distraction techniques when cravings hit :) I'm sure others will find this useful. Hope you are having a good night.
    0 x
    forest
    Community Builder

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:33 am

Hi @Simply me ,

These are some amazing tips, thanks so much for sharing!

I think it's really great how you've recognised that some things appeal to you more than others, because it's important to actually enjoy your distraction activities (e.g. dancing around the kitchen over a gym workout - very relatable!).
    If you can think of any more, let us know.

And just checking in with you @Calmer7 , @Djarrimiri, @Renae38. How are you going?
    Remember we're always here, whether it's to share some distraction tips of your own or just to vent.

Take care

- forest
    1 x

Return to “Questions and Feedback”