Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Enabling an Alcoholic spouse

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    joes

Enabling an Alcoholic spouse

Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Is it wrong to take a person who I love but has been struggling with alcohol addiction for 15 years and getting worse to buy more alcohol.....knowing if I do not take them they will get very angry, and abusive, and put themselves and others is danger, because they choose to walk ( late at night) to bottle shop or even worse drive a car.....I feel I am doing wrong but the fear and anxiety of something happening to her is hard to let go....
    1 x
    Green

Re: Enabling an Alcoholic spouse

Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi [mention]joes[/mention] ,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your question. Hopefully some of our members will be able to share some insights into your questions. In the meantime, you might find it helpful to read through some of the posts over in our "Friends and Family" section:

viewforum.php?f=30

All the best,
    Green
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 am

Hi [mention]joes[/mention] welcome and thanks for sharing your story! That's such a difficult position to be in and I can only imagine the mixed emotions you are going through. I'm wondering if your partner has any supports in place? I wanted to check-in to see how you are going today? It sounds like you may also benefit from having a chat to one of our Counsellors for some further support around this, see here --> https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/find-support
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Hey @joes just checking in to see how February is going for you - looks like you got a fair bit of support re your last post :) Let us know how you're travelling if you feel comfortable doing so. It is certainly a tough thing to go through, with a significant other dealing with alcohol dependency is certainly difficult to get through.
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”