Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Exhausted

Share with us any questions or suggestions you may have for our forum here. We'd love to hear from you!
    Calmer7

Exhausted

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am

Hello,

I am an alcoholic and very tired of my inability to just stop drinking. Years. Not to mention how much I spend every week. I find myself clean and loving being sober for a day or two, then once again I've got a bottle of wine hidden and I just drink the whole thing in a few hours, often more, can't sleep and screw the next morning completely, feeling hungover, tired and anxious.

Does anyone who has succeeded in quitting drinking have ideas for how to distract my mind when the urge hits? There's a window of about 3-4 hrs that I need to pass through.

I didn't like AA meetings.

I dream of being sober for at least 6 months, because I just know how good I'll feel.

Everything else in my life is pretty good, so I don't understand how I keep f@*!ing myself over every other day with this addiction.
    2 x
    Cat7

Re: Exhausted

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Welcome to the community @Calmer7,

Sounds like this is a great place for you - it’s really important to know that you’re not alone and I'm sure so many on here can relate to your experiences.

Is there anything you’ve tried in the past at some stage that’s helped you through the urge? There's a few good suggestions in the thread "Activities to do instead of drinking" but like you I'm curious to hear more suggestions from others too.

Looking forward to hearing more
    3 x
    Djarrimiri

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:16 pm

I am the same. Wish people had offered some ideas.

In the past, I've replaced drinking with hiking and reading. During COVID19, few things are working. The only thing that saves me is to not order a delivery.
    I did my first order 2 weeks ago, and drank the lot - about a bottle of wine a day. Finished it off last night and was filthy tired and exasperated with myself today.

I'm worried now ... I will ring TP when I get the urge to order and I've registered for the Ready 2 Change programme. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow, will tell him what I'm doing. Friends are too ready to excuse the behaviour so I'm glad finally to have access support to stop.

My GP helped me through my last bout in 2017, when I was suicidal due to work stress. He'll probably want to have regular check-ins and hopefully will be glad that I have already actioned getting help through TP. He gave me the number for Turning Point in 2017.
    2 x
    Renae38

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:27 am

I agree
    1 x

Return to “Questions and Feedback”