Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - friends and family

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    NewDayNewStart

Re: Introduce yourself here - friends and family

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:58 pm

Hi. I am mum to 3 adult kids, 42, 39 and 35. My middle son is experiencing chronic alcohol dependency and has been a poly drug user, after more than 20 years and around 9 rehab 'stints'. He has been living with us again for the last 2 1/2 years following his last rehab completion. He's relapsed again! It's tough, but I love my son and will always support his recovery. Just don't love his dependency or how it affects him. Doing my best to practice self care, but at times anxiety and worry takes over and I have to stop and reflect.
    Look forward to listening, supporting and being able to share and learn from others.
    1 x
    Modra6

Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:22 am

Welcome to the forums, [mention]NewDayNewStart[/mention] ,

I'm one of the "night shift moderators/aka "night owl" here, modra6.

Thank You for sharing your experiences, im sure the last 20 years has been a colourful, difficult experience for everyone involved, much highs and lows.

Practising self care, and engaging in planned introspection is vital to further understand the route of the anxiety, and worry for yourself in the now, and there is always further ways to challenge and consider that process.

Keep sharing, and the forums will share back, i'm sure.

Modra6.
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Hey [mention]Newlife2021[/mention] ,

Welcome to the Counselling Online forums!

What brings you to our group? We would love to learn more about your journey!

Looking forward to seeing you around,

HelpfulBee
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi [mention]Teesy[/mention]

Welcome to the forums. We're hoping to see more of you around in the near future.

All the best 8-)
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Howdy [mention]JPB123[/mention]

So glad you could join us here. We'd love to hear more about you. Please feel free to post and seek support any time you need it.
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:06 pm

Hey [mention]catstan[/mention]

Welcome to the forums!
    Hope all is well in your world, and we hope to see you around the forums soon.
    0 x
    Treasure

Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi Im new to forums and wanted to share my experience with helping my younger sibling who lives with active addiction, currently ice, but swaps with alcohol. Our mum died almost 5 years back after 3 diffi c ult years surviving my dads death. Before this they took the brunt of trying to support him, and as a recovering alcoholic i thought i could help his situation when they passed on. During this time he has stayed with me and my family on and off. What i have found in my journey is how poweless i am over his drug/alcohol use. I learned to set boundaries and stick to them. I have come to understand that its not my problem and i do not need to fix my sibling. I started a local NarAnon family group for people like myself who want to recover from reacting to their unacceptable behaviour so i could have some sort of respectful relationship. Through a program of recovery i have enjoyed more peace of mind and better understand my myself and my reactions. Its fantastic seeing the changes in people who come and join. So if you find yourself goi g in circles have a go it helped me
    1 x
    Toby07

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:52 pm

Welcome to the forums. Thankyou for sharing this [mention]Treasure[/mention] and what has helped you on your journey :)
    1 x
    doinit4ourkidz

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:51 am

hi new here desperate to save our family. my husband and I are recovering heron addicts in our mid to late 40s. my husband came off the methadone program after the birth of our daughter. he had been on the program since the early 90s and had been straight bar the occasional pill use for a decade. I remained on the program on a very small dose as my health complicates maters so makes sense to stick to what's been working.
    hubby has had a bad stumble running over 2yrs of him using ice from time to time till it became a problem within our family concerning his temper tantrums for want of a better word that now is full on paranoia and depression with extreme anxiety. he is beginning to admit he has an issue but its taken its toll on our family as a whole.
    hoping to find some support understanding and above all some much need hope of a positive outcome :? :| :roll: :?
    0 x
    doinit4ourkidz

Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:09 am

opps sorry a posted on your post by mistake my above comment...
    hi hope you can find some good support and advice here also my worst nightmare is watching my children suffer addiction and the system as I have,
    0 x
    Melody12

Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi @doinit4ourkidz ,

Sounds like you have hope which can be key to staying motivated and that is helpful when you have a lot on. Some of our members may like to share with you some positive experiences they have had. This can also be worthwhile.

Stay safe and its great you are connecting.

Cheers,
    Melody12
    1 x
    doinit4ourkidz

Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:52 am

Melody12 wrote:
    Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:19 pm
    Hi @doinit4ourkidz ,

Sounds like you have hope which can be key to staying motivated and that is helpful when you have a lot on. Some of our members may like to share with you some positive experiences they have had. This can also be worthwhile.

Stay safe and its great you are connecting.

Cheers,
    Melody12
    thanks
    I have gone from the streets of cabra in the 90s through the cross and much more I know what's at stake. We have our own homes cars and businesses yet here we face this evil shit still.
    My hubby grew up in Mt druitt where we still have family suffering.
    He made huge changes but still the monkey we not leave.
    I am blessed to be an opiate only addicts I now see :(
    0 x
    teapot

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:30 am

Wow, @doinit4ourkidz, you and your husband must have enormous strength to have come through all of that and be here, today, raising a family of your own. It sounds like things are rough right now, but think of everything you've already achieved. Are you connected with any supports to get you through this tough time?
    0 x
    Help21

Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:08 pm

Hi all,
    I am here to seek help for myself and my Partner. Oh my this is so hard to type. I would like to seek help for my Fiancé and I who regularly use drugs. I have not discussed this with him as I feel he is not ready to seek help yet. I am seeking help for the both of us because I feel it is getting out of control with his intake. I don’t know how to explain the situation but the only time I am smoking is when he is home from work. When he is away, I do not take any drugs so I would like some help on how to deal with this situation without taking part in it. I’m sorry if I don’t make sense, it’s just hard to type it out.
    1 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:22 am

Hi @Help21 welcome to the forums!
    Really admire your courage to reach out and share you journey with us.
    What steps do you think you can take to help get yourself some further ongoing support ?
    Have you had many conversations with your partner about the concerns you have ?
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”