Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.
    Let's Talk! latest community topic: Motivation
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Kaitlynnn6

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi! I’m completely new to this and counselling altogether! I have realised I have a drinking problem after becoming a different and violent person when intoxicated, I’m scared of the person I become because it’s not me and I feel out of control at the time. I am physically and emotionally hurting my partner and I’m so scared and hating myself for becoming this person. I need help!
    1 x
    Jack23

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi @Kaitlynnn6

Welcome to the forum and well done on having the courage and strength to seek help.

It is important to know yourself and it looks like you have a really good understanding of how you want to live your life.

We look forward to reading more of your story and thank you for sharing your experiences.
    0 x
    Timeisnow01

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 pm

Well here I am. Hi there!
    I Joined today and my first real step to stop taking drugs.
    I have always thought I could just stop but I always find myself looking for it when work and life gets busy and too much to handle but then anxiety and regret step in and round and round we go.
    I don’t have time at all to attend meetings on any day so I’m looking forward to seeing how I can progress here.
    3 x
    Calvino01

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Helo @Timeisnow01

Welcome to the forums!

I'm Calvin, one of the moderators here on the forums.

Well done on reaching out for support, you've taken such a big step.

Sounds like you have identified main triggers (stress, anxiety), i'm wondering are there any activities/hobbies you can think of engaging with as a way to help overcome triggers/urges to use?

This all can be a difficult process but it is possible to overcome a drug issue.

Do you have any supports at this moment in time family, friends, partner or other external services?

Kind regards,

Calvin .
    0 x
    DoBetter

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:36 am

Hi there,
    Thank you to all for sharing your intro's and own battles...
    Im coming to the facts that my alcohol drinking is a destructive part of my life it also tends to become one of those "1 thing leads to another" gates where days & nights turn quick...
    I feel i came from a strong culture of drinking in my youth and family, my ealiest recollection of drinkin reverts to when i was 9 before my first football game -my dad "to make me play better" made me drink alcohol, after that by 14 i was drinking with alot of the other street kids by the beach on a fri/sat night, then i became an adult -none the more responsible...
    I find ive made drinking like my reward system and even though i can control somehwat the frequency -once i commence i feel so entitled i over-indulge...I tend to drink more & faster than anyone im out with....
    I know alcohol is affecting my health and will have detrimental affects in the long run too...i see how it affects my partner who is did not grow up in a drinkin culture like mine...
    Sorry to vent so deep on an intro, ive wrote this a few times and then deleted it...
    I guess this is my battle infront of me that i will face head on to regain the control i want...and wanted to share with fellow strong battlers...
    1 x
    Blippi

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:34 am

Hi @DoBetter

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story and well done on reaching out, you've taken such a big step! My name is Blippi and I am one of the moderators here today.

I see you are able to reflect and recognize the drinking problem and what the alcohol can bring to your life. Although it has been part of your growing up, as you said, you posting here tells me it’s time to change this long negative habit.
    What steps you think you can start take for a change to happen?

Blippi
    0 x
    Belcalis

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:02 am

Hiya,

My doctor let me know about this group which i have found to be extremely helpful. I have been a high functioning prescription pill addict on and off for 14 years (own a business, am a wife and mother), I have been able to justify it for so long cause i didn't think i was taking a huge amount of painkillers and benzos and I have been able to live a relatively normal life, sick of living in a fog so I'm finally getting sober, withdrawals have been bad but I'm starting to come good, seeing a psych soon and I have a great support network. Wishing everyone well on there sobriety journey. I am really excited to gain control of my life without needing pills or alcohol.
    1 x
    l8arrival

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 am

Welcome & thanks for your input Belcalis,
    I am l8arrival, a moderator here.
    It sounds as if you have been making some changes. The withdrawals sound difficult, but it seems that despite these challenges you are managing well & persevering.
    How did you realize you were ready to change? Can others think about it?
    0 x
    Belcalis

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 pm

thanks @l8arrival

I realised I was ready to change for the sake of my health and my family. Its not sustainable to me to continue to use and live a 'normal life'. I hit my 'rock bottom' when i purchased benzos without a prescription which is when i realised i was an addict and couldn't justify saying I'm stressed or my back hurts as an excuse to take pills when i knew deep down it wasn't true. After 14 years of denial it was like a slap in the face.
    0 x
    Charliez83

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi, you can all call me Charlie.... Yes Charlie will do just fine....

My hobbies include drawing, painting, wood burning and engraving. Anything hands on basically.. I am attempting to grow Orchids and have a mountain of Cannas in my garden.

My inspirations are my kids.
    3 x
    Purplepossum

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi my name is purple possum and i have a mental illness and use alcohol to manage my symptons. I am hoping for support and what I have noticed is that each time I stop I am really keen to begin with and then over time I don't seek support and the idea of drinking again pops up in my head and off I go again. It really is horrible. This pattern has continued since over 20 years. Each time I learn something new about myself and become hopeful again. I dont have any hobbies so maybe thats what I need
    0 x
    BigOrangeBear

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi @Purplepossum , and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have been going through your recovery journey for a long time and it is great that you have reached out for some support on the forum.

I hope you get some useful ideas for possible hobbies you can try and I look forward to reading more about your recovery journey in the future.

All the best,
    BigOrangeBear (One of the Moderators)
    0 x
    All good

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi. I'm not sure how this will go, but after years of alcohol abuse, I'm willing to try anything. Behind the keyboard is safe atm and is about all I can manage. Going to set up daily goals and be kind to myself. Have tried everything to shed the grog, but it's always there to take the "edge off life". Now realising that it's taking the edge off me and robbing me of opportunities. Hope to share and support.
    1 x
    l8arrival

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Welcome and thanks for your post @All good ,
    I am l8arrival, a moderator in this forum.
    It sounds as if you are ready to make changes in your life. While some might say it is safe to announce the changes behind the keyboard, it still takes courage and inner strength. I am wondering what goals you have in mind? Where are you starting? Please keep us posted :). We will all be really interested to hear about your journey. Do others have any tips on where to start? What is an achievable goal to start by?
    0 x
    Gibson76

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi I'm new here,
    My drinking is starting to affect my family relationships. I work hard and use drinking to reward myself, I also drink if I'm bored . What ideas are there to replace drinking as a reward after work? I've been doing this for twenty years
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”

Counselling Online acknowledges the traditional owners of the land upon which our health service is built, the Wurundjeri People, part of the Kulin Nation, and pays our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging.