Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. To post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.

Event on now: Q&A on Prescription drug use, misuse and dependence.
  • When did you recognise you had a problem?

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Vik

When did you recognise you had a problem?

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi all, hope everyone's doing well this week!

I thought it could be valuable to think about and share when and how you first started to think you may have a substance problem?
    Perhaps when a relationship was being affected, or someone said something?
    And how did you feel when you recognised this?
    1 x
    Befantastic

Re: When did you recognise you had a problem?

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:34 pm

It started in January, realised I had an addiction last week. Thought I just kept using every now and then, but really I was just having a max ten days before the next binge. I realised I have never experienced a proper come down so I got extremely scared. I'm hopeful.
    3 x
    Green

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm

It can be challenging when first starting on this journey...

That being said, it's great to hear you're still hopeful! I think that's an important ingredient
    2 x
    EMK

Sun May 05, 2019 4:05 am

Not until I met someone who matched, if not outdid me in drug use.
    I saw how oblivious and in denial they were.
    Later on I realised it was like looking in a mirror.
    3 x
    Jack23

Sun May 05, 2019 11:55 am

hi @EMK

As insight grows so does self control.

jack23
    2 x
    Anonymous99

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:11 am

Dude, I honesty think I had a substance use problem as soon as I had intentions that I’d go out and use a substance just to make myself feel happier or perhaps when I started using in a routine. Anyone agree with me ? Cheers- Haydoss.
    3 x
    Trying2019

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:40 pm

@Dos I kind of feel it was when I went out with intention of drinking regardless of however I felt and however I wanted to feel. Celebration or commiseration, later on I did not even need anyone to drink with and or get fairly drunk with, then it is more obvious it is a problem.....
    2 x
    Jack23

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:51 am

@Trying2019 and @Dos

I think understanding the reasons why we drink can be the first steps towards controlling it.

There are many reasons on why we drink - to have fun, to celebrate, to relieve stress, to forget trauma or to quench a hard earned thirst.

Understanding the reason gives us a clue to what really needs to be resolved and to find a better way, a better strategy to relieve our pain.

Drinking is the end result of our problems, it sometimes can look like being the problem, but in reality, it is the stuff it is covering up that really needs to be worked on.

I hope this makes sense.

Take care
    Jack 23
    2 x
    Anonymous99

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:56 am

I have some issues I need to sort out that I’ve never ever talked about and in fact am extremely hesitant to discuss. I have not found a single soul I could trust. I know exactly why I use drugs.
    0 x
    Jack23

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:15 pm

hi @Anonymous99

Hopefully as this forum is anonymous you could share your experience here.

All the best
    Jack23
    0 x
    songbird

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 pm

for me it was not being happy high anymore, just in a dark place week in week out.
    0 x
    Mia12345

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 am

I think I realised my alcoholism was real when I was around 22. I'm now 31 and I'm sick of pretending everything is okay. I'm sick of being miserable, fatigued, lonely and unwell. 9 years ago I realised I had a problem, it's only in the last month I think I'm ready to acknowledge it and challenge it.
    0 x
    WillowTree

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 pm

@Mia12345 it takes so much courage to not only recognize that alcohol is a problem in your life but to decide you're ready to do something about it. Well done on taking this important step and I hope you'll get lots of great support from the other members of the forum!
    0 x
    Ash_Chandra

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:06 am

When i started having it before work everyday..compared too weekends only and staying clean for 5 days.

I have tried stopping numerous times and got to a point were i was telling myself well you do it for a few months and take a break then start up again isn't as bad as doing it everyday like most my mates were. I have kept my job the whole time.. what's the term a functioning meth addict but now i smoke before work ...get home and smoke till about 4 in the morning with few hours sleep ..get up and doing it all over again. How i have managed to keep my job i dont know as numerous colleagues have had accidents at work and mandatory drug and alcohol tests have been taken.. which they have failed at lost their jobs.

I have been doing this for over a year now but i'm done with this routine.
    0 x
    Cat7

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:29 pm

Hey @Ash_Chandra
    Recognizing its becoming a problem and having the motivation to want to change your routine is an integral part and takes so much courage.

Welldone on posting and getting support and I look forward to hearing more from your journey.

Cat7
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience”