Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Preparing for Change and taking action

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Preparing for Change and taking action

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:01 pm

Preparing for Change and taking action

It is really important to realize that change comes and goes in cycles with you moving back and forth and around like a dynamic wheel.
    Sometimes to start off works quickly, so quickly in fact that you can’t really see where the change has happened but in others, the change may start off slow and then take up momentum until suddenly there is a change.

Contemplation- you can see the possibility of change; it is a scary place and you might be a little uncertain if you can do it….How do you choose to keep going?
    Preparation – You are ready to start on changing your behaviours. You are now committed to making that change and have already made small changes to your life; however you are still working out how to go about it.
    Determination - You are working on identifying appropriate change strategies – what is going to work for you? You give yourself a time where you want to see change happening. You are going to implement change daily in moving towards your goal!
    Stay tuned for next week on how we keep this going - Maintenance :)
    1 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Re: Preparing for Change and taking action

Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Maintenance

What does this even mean - are we machines that need to be oiled and serviced regularly? Do we need to be taken out to the country to get some fresh air and clean our engines? Do we need to get new tyres every 3 years? Great for maintaining your car but if we see the analogy, great for keeping ourselves in shape so we can be the best version (best make and model) of our selves....
    And that does take hard work (not necessarily money like a car does either). Hard work, hitting the ground running...... or something like that.

So you have managed to stop the drinking over the weekend, or during the week or even completed Dry July or Dry October or whatever month you choose. You might have even raised some money since making it public can be a very motivating thing - holds you accountable. You are doing SO WELL!
    But then, one day there is that gnawing feeling in your guts...... you start building up a sweat, you can SMELL it and your craving grows and grows like a monster wanting to burst out.... you manage to control it though, ride the wave, urge surfing..
    You take a deep breath and decide to go for a run... when you return you feel more in control and also, feel that if the urge comes at you like a rabid dog, that you are able to say calmly "I'm not scared of you, in fact, hang around if you like because I choose to ignore you..." and the urge (or the rabid dog) slinks away and leaves you alone..

And this my friends, is maintaining sobriety - the urge will be there but it will dissipate and eventually leave you alone.
    Maintenance is acceptance in a way that you have come through to the other side and you may indeed relapse but also be able to not beat yourself up and get back in there - keeping on the curvy road of recovery without the monster snapping at your heels. Stay well all x
    1 x
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Hey [mention]Leonarda[/mention] ,

Thanks for this awesome post! Preparing for change can be hard, and it can take a while to get to the point that we're ready to take action.

It can sometimes feel like we have one foot in and one foot out.

Also, when it comes to making a change, especially with substances there's likely to be a little bit of ambivalence. I mean, you're using for a reason after all, the drugs and alcohol have a purpose, they're doing something. So, by committing to making a change and taking action we're not only taking on something new, but we're also letting something go. And letting go can be hard. Even though there are benefits of letting go of this old coping strategy, there still may be some reservation and doubt. And that's ok - that's a part of the process.

Has anyone else experienced this 'one foot in and one foot out' type of process before?

[mention]Simply me[/mention] [mention]Starlee[/mention] [mention]Cloudy[/mention] [mention]Kiaya[/mention] [mention]Chickadee[/mention]
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:24 pm

Hey @Matt13 @~angelbrite~ @Mike_89 @graciew_ @Grazz
    Just checking in with members to see how you are going and how 2021 is going so far for you. Please feel free to join in with our chats and also get some support from other members if you feel like sharing your story or anything at all :) We have heaps of new forums and discussion threads that you can join in or just have a read or support another member. Looking forward to hearing from you :)
    0 x
    Simply me

Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:43 pm

Heylo @Leonarda @HelpfulBee folk,

I wanted to share a posative vibes story. It's about Tree frogs n timing :) Totemic frog medicine symbolises cleansing and, little as I like this word, purification. Because their skin is so sensitive, frogs are the first indicators when a waterway becomes polluted. They suffer first, and also when they are present are a sign of health and well being. I've had several lapses in the last few months, then this time around, after making the decision to try again, that night a Tree frog appeared in our kitchen sink. That night, and every other for the last 14. I made it past the 10 day mark, largely supported by a small green beings messages, and sassyness. Sitting on the dishes, in the coffee pot, on top of the plug hole. Wish I could post a picture. Last night the frog n my cat went nose to nose literally, sniffed, then went their various ways....

They also got me thinking about my internal processes, pondering the potential types o pollution or distortions there...

Its the not quite all in rebel that comes up for me at times. Tell me I can't do something, and up she pops, even if it's for my better well being. So, I'm having a go at re-channelling that aspect into the choice against being urge driven by a substance, in my case booze. See how that goes. Rebel with a cause I guess. Cleaning the waters in this case, means redirecting that energy, cos it's a potent force. I'd be guessing I'm not alone in having it present. What actually better way to rebel than to be whole n nourished? Mess with em a bit heh heh....

Enough o a ramble, thanks....
    3 x
    Pinky

Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:55 am

Hey @Simply me , thanks for sharing the frog story...i love it! animals and all creatures are amazing. and magical in so many ways! and you are doing so well by the sounds of it.

Cheers Pinky
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:58 am

Hey @Simply me that is a lovely little story that starts off contemplating tree frogs and a nice analogy about redirecting your energies and thinking about your internal processes and how you are contemplating change and either fighting or accepting the rebel within you - good stuff :)
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”