Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Feel silly asking but I'm scared re withdrawal

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    darkdkuth91

Feel silly asking but I'm scared re withdrawal

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:20 pm

Hello,

I'm a 30 year old woman who has been drinking way too heavily since around March 2020, abusing alcohol because I wanted to avoid dealing with the grief of losing my dad. For about a month now I finally started realising that I can't keep sabotaging my life like this and I'm pretty sure I should just quit alcohol completely.

The thing is - and I'm so embarrassed about this - I've become terrified of the possibility of withdrawal. I drink around 5 or 6 nights a week, usually around 5 standards but sometimes I've been up to 1 bottle and a half of wine. When I don't drink I feel fine except I get anxious, but I've always been anxiety-prone. Other than that I'm in good health and active every day.

I'd really appreciate any advice about whether the scary symptoms one reads about e.g seizures happen out of nowhere, or if you're already looking and feeling unwell when they happen.
    2 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Re: Feel silly asking but I'm scared re withdrawal

Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:17 pm

Hi @darkdkuth91,

First of all, welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story!

I'm really sorry about your dad's loss. It is very normal to use alcohol to deal with the grief of his loss. However, its great you're realising that your alcohol consumption is becoming problematic and wanting to quit completely.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Your concern is completely valid and justified as there are indeed certain health risks involved with withdrawal if your body is alcohol dependent. We are not medically trained, so we cannot tell you if that is your case or not. And also, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this matter as every person's health in addition to other factors such as the length of time and amount of alcohol consumption. The best recommendation is to talk to a GP to set up a safe withdrawal plan for you. It's great that you're monitoring the amount of your alcohol intake as this information will be very useful for the GP, who can also help you address your anxiety. Another positive thing you've mentioned is you're in good health and active every day, so well done!

Perhaps our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW have some words of advice.

Keep us posted on how you're going. We're always here to support you. :)
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi @darkdkuth91................there are no silly questions when it comes to addiction and recovery

Withdrawal is a scary prospect for a lot of people and it's actually what keeps people trapped for so long..........not wanting to go through it. In all my years of heavy drinking I never had a seizure but I consider myself bloody lucky given the high possibility they could have occurred. The best thing to do is to talk to your GP about your plans and devising a safe way to stop between you. There'll be people who will tell you not to worry about the seizures because they're rare but please work with your GP because they are a very real possibility and I've seen them happen to others. There's just no way of saying for sure that they won't happen to you.

The anxiety is a side effect of your drinking patterns but again.........with the help of your GP you can turn this around too. My personal experience taught me that as the drinking stopped the anxiety and depression eased. Grief is a huge emotion and maybe talking to your GP about working with a psych to help you work through the grief could be a good idea too??? Working on the reasons I drank helped me work on the solutions not to.

So yes withdrawal is something to be wary of but with a GP it can be done safely.

If you have any other questions please feel free to tag me and ask............I'm here to share my experience with addiction
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:39 pm

It's so great you've reached out here @darkdkuth91 and it is absolutely not a silly question.

I was terrified of withdrawal for so long and as @PnorkelPW mentioned, it's what kept me from attempting to detox for a long time. Like yourself as well I used substances to self medicate to deal with loss and trauma, it's scary to think about losing that crutch and that coping mechanism.

As @Peace Dove and @PnorkelPW mentioned, if you get help from a GP and have a medically assisted detox then you should be safe as far as withdrawal symptoms go. For me it was really important to find new ways to deal with the anxiety and just to cope with being in reality. Getting help in peer groups and being part of a recovery community really helped me with that.

I'm wondering if you've reached out for support anywhere else or if you've ever tried any support groups?

It's important to remember that you're not along, I hope you continue to share your journey with us and if you want any info on other supports you can access or you just want to connect we're always here :)
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:29 pm

Hi @darkdkuth91 ................just wanted to touch base and see how things are going?
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”