Welcome to our online peer support community! Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use.

• Dedicated lived experience & family and friends areas.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.

Join the discussion today!
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

A place for those maintaining change to share their story.
    Vik

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi @Ling07 welcome to the forums, and thank you for your post!

Great hobbies too, I've always thought 4WDing looks fun!

Would love to hear more about your experience and your journey toward "living your best life" (love that!). Would you consider starting your own thread? Can be a great way to gain support from others - it's a little harder here in the intro thread.

Take care, and again welcome!
    0 x
    Poison Ivy

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:50 pm

Hello everyone,
    I enjoyed reading the introductions, so thank you! Hello I’m Poison Ivy ... I’m female, single, no children and I struggle with an addiction to crystal meth. My drug addiction doesn’t define me as a person, it’s just one aspect of my life , and I would very much like to change it so it no longer has a place in my life at all. I wanted to connect with others who know the struggles, the judgement, the abandonment, the isolation and loneliness of addiction. So I don’t have to feel like I’m on my own all the time.

Thank you for reading
    Ps I love painting and my dog
    1 x
    Vik

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Welcome to the community @Poison Ivy and well done on reaching out!

Sounds like this is a great place for you - it’s really important to know that you’re not alone.

I’m curious, is there anything you’ve tried in the past at some stage that’s helped you bring down your use, even for a period of time? Or anything you’re interested to maybe learn more about?

Looking forward to hearing more, take care. Vik

Ps, I love dogs!! What kind is yours?!
    0 x
    Tweetie

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:39 am

Hi y'all I'm tweetie and I am 3 days and 2 hours sober off marijuana..
    I've been smoking everyday for 3-4 years and I dont want to smoke anymore but it's sooo hard to not want to spark up and take away these hot/cold flushes, tears, insomnia, headaches, mood swings and more mixed emotions..
    I have managed to quit a few times in the past but not more then a few weeks at a time and I never got insomnia this bad before..
    I felt like I was doing pretty well you know, up until tonight which is my 3rd night and I've not had a minute sleep..
    BTW I didn't taper down either, I've done it cold turkey..
    Almost 3am and I feel like if this is going to be what happens for the next how many nights than I may relapse..
    Hope I've posted in the right place, just stumbled across this when I was looking for drug help lines. :(
    0 x
    Calvino01

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Hello @Tweetie

I'm Calvino, one of the facilitators here on the forums.
    Good on you for reaching out for support!
    I think you'll find the forums to be a supportive and safe space.

The Journey towards recovery can be quite bumpy along the way and you've shown a lot of courage by taking a big step towards change.

If you're having concerns with the withdrawals etc, would you consider having a discussion with a doctor to help alleviate the severity of some of these symptoms?

Take care of yourself and feel free to continue posting in the forums.

Calvino
    0 x
    CATNAP

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi. I’m Catnap. Transitioning to home. Travel too much for work and unable to attend the day programs. Thought this online forum would be a good alternative.
    0 x
    Hoping

The journey begins

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 pm

I have just joined. I am JC My binge drinking is destroying my life and relationships. I can't stop at one so I need to stop altogether. I drink to bury emotions so I am scared of bringing things to the surface.
    1 x
    Hoping

The journey begins

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 pm

I have just joined. I am JC My binge drinking is destroying my life and relationships. I can't stop at one so I need to stop altogether. I drink to bury emotions so I am scared of bringing things to the surface.
    0 x
    Vik

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 pm

Hey @Hoping welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing.

It's powerful to recognise that you need to make a change, you should be proud, and I'm sure many people relate to the fear of emotions might arise with sobriety. Be kind to yourself.

Have you got a good support network around you?
    How have you been going the last few days?
    0 x
    T.

Day 1

Wed May 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi I'm T. I enjoy gardening, horses, photography of my children but mostly my son's motocross. I live on a farm so am always busy. I really need to stop drinking altogether.
    I found this site today as this is my first step and realization that I need to stop.
    2 x
    Melody12

Thu May 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi T,

Its Melany, one of the moderators, its great you have found your way to this forum. This forum is a ideal place to come and read the stories of others and at the same time share your journey. I am looking forward to reading more from you.

Cheers,
    Melany
    2 x
    Joddles

Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm

Hey all

A brief introduction - 47 year old mother of two adult children, married 25 years, working full-time in the same field for the past 17 years. I have a trauma history as a child, and some pretty significant events happen as an adult that led to my misuse of drugs and alcohol. I find it impossible to get support in my local (regional) community as I know professionally all the psychs and social workers and counsellors in town through my work - which leaves me in a tough position.

I *know* I need help. I'm scared about where I'm at. I just am not sure how I go about getting what I need.
    0 x
    Jack23

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 pm

hi @Joddles

Welcome to the forum.

It takes a lot of strength and courage to seek help, well done!

We all have coping strategies to help us get through our stress and pain. Unfortunately the easier options we can use over time can become negative or become a problem in itself. We all to find a more healthy or positive coping strategy and hopefully you can find some here in the forum.

The following are 24/7 Alcohol and Drug Counselling services that are confidential, private and anonymous.

If you are in -

* ACT call ADIS on (02) 6207 9977
    * NSW call ADIS on (02) 9361 8000 and 1800 422 599 (rural)
    * Northern Territory call ADIS on 1800 131 350
    * Queensland call ADIS on 1800 177 833
    * South Australia call ADIS on 1300 131 340
    * Tasmania call ADIS on 1800 811 994
    * Victoria call Directline on 1800 888 236
    * Western Australia call ADIS on (08) 9442 5000 and 1800 198 024 (rural)

All the best and take care.

Jack23
    0 x
    Axle1969

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Hello everyone,
    Axle here. I drink too much and want to quit. This is my first approach at finding some support to do so. I am here because experience tells me that I lack the willpower to quit on my own. I can hold out for a time, but it is pretty grim and I have never lasted too long. So, hopefully, I can learn a thing or two from you guys.
    Cheers.
    0 x
    Jack23

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi @Axle1969

Welcome to the forum.

It takes a lot of courage and strength to ask for help.

We look forward to reading more about your story. Have a look around and when your ready you can use the @ symbol and the members name to send them a message.

Take care and all the best.

Jack23
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience”