Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

NOW ON: Q&A with a sex counsellor: Intimacy & Recovery, & our latest Let's Talk! discussion: Sleeping & Stopping.

Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Cat7

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi @Ashhxo ,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story as I am sure a lot of people on here can relate. It's definitely great to be realizing it is effecting you and that you don't want to live this way regardless of how long it has been a problem for you.

Congratulations on taking this step in making a change and I look forward to hearing more from you! You might even want to start your own thread about something important to you, like the difficulty with sleep.

Kind regards,
    Cat7
    0 x
    l3utterfly

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:52 pm

Hi Everyone.
    I am from a family of alcoholics and have grown up thinking that drinking every day is normal. Where possible I would start drinking everyday by 3pm.
    Recently my Mental Health has deteriorated and I was told that my drinking was not helpful.
    I have been sober for 5 months and I still struggle everyday. Other people get 3pm munchies, well I get 3pm thirsty cravings 😀
    I need extra support so I went online looking for support and found these forums.
    I have a stressful life so no hobbies yet, but I am trying on weekends to alternate doing something for myself, going on a date with my husband or doing something with my kids.
    0 x
    izy3

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:18 am

Hi @l3utterfly, welcome to this forum!

Thank you for sharing your story and finding this forum. I hope you will feel supported and learn from other members.
    Everyone said they realised from here that they are not alone - many people are trying hard to get through their challenges.

It is great that you have been sober for 5 months. How did you achieve that?
    It seems you are thinking of some enjoyable activities for yourself, which is lovely.
    Even though you are having a stressful life, starting off what just comes up with on free time, without much planning, may help you find out what would be good to do.

All the best, and please keep us updated how you are doing.
    Again, welcome to this forum!
    0 x
    l3utterfly

Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks @@izy3
    I have stayed sober for 5 months because I am Stubborn!!! :lol:
    And I really don't like the "down" mood that was lasting for days after 1 glass of wine.
    I am struggling now though, the cravings and desire for a drink are strong.
    I am going to try hobbies.
    1 x
    Vik

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:39 pm

Welcome @l3utterfly
    Your stubborn comment made me laugh!

It's great to see that you're aware of those cravings and taking some great actions such as coming here to chat.

Hope to hear about the hobbies you try out!?
    0 x
    Shamrock85

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:24 am

Hey guys,
    Im completely new to any form of help and support and iam too afraid to seek it from my family so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try this when I came across it.
    So I have many hobbies, I love going for walks along the lake near my house, i love fishing but I dont do it often enough and spending time with my 3 children is just the best.
    Im seeking help and support for my addiction to meth. I relapsed 4 days ago, im so very disappointed with myself as I was 6 months clean and living the happiest life. I looked so good and healthy, food never tasted better and my kids were getting the mum they deserved.
    I started using 2 years ago and in that time my world turned upside down and the love of my life left me. I was heart broken, confused and psychotic. So I used more and on a daily basis, until one day I was sick of what I was doing and I quit.
    I was doing so well until the father of my eldest two kids decided to stop working. This caused him to drink heavily and my kids no longer wanted to be around him. This has proved to be so stressful. How do I support 3 kids on a Government pension? I had questions and no answers and so I believe this had led me to use meth again.

I really look forward to hearing from everyone and hope I can offer support to more users like me.
    0 x
    Lady Bug

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi @Shamrock85

Welcome to the forums :) Thanks so much for joining us. A lot of people are too afraid to seek support from loved ones and friends, so the forums can be a really great start to dip your toes in the water.
    I hope you are able to find some support and guidance on the forums.
    I can get a sense from what you wrote that you really enjoyed being clean, your life was really positive.
    Where is your life at now with your using?

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Lady Bug
    0 x
    ellanoah2007

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Thank you @Lady Bug
    Last few days were very challenging for me. Im currently at my kids touch football state cup. I love watching them play makes me proud to be their mother. I have used but only minimal. When I get back home I will be ready to get clean again. I do this usually by getting up early in the morning and going for a long walk while listening to music.
    Using again has made me obsess over my ex partner and it puts me in a dark place. Im still in love with him. Yesterday I had an anxiety attack and im just such a different person so I cant wait to get back home to get me back to who i really am.
    I love telling my story and getting feedback its definitely a relief to get it out there and not hold it in. 😊
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”