Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Suboxen

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Boloum

Suboxen

Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Has anyone here recovered successfully from suboxen?
    My husband starts tomorrow and it's a massive step for him and me. I'm very nervous and would love some first hand experience.
    Thank you x
    0 x
    post_modernism

Re: Suboxen

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 pm

Hello again @Boloum

Glad to hear you and your husband are taking this important step in his recovery. Sounds like it is a big thing both of you.
    I'm sure other members will be able to speak more to personal experiences with Suboxone. As a drug and alcohol counsellor with an indirect experience with it, I can say that many people find Suboxone a very useful means of getting free of opiates. In terms of weaning off opiate-replacement medication like Suboxone itself (which contains buprenorphine, an opioid), Suboxone has a relatively better reputation than other medications like Methadone, which can be extremely difficult to stop taking.

Hope that gives you some rough idea, though hopefully other members with more personal experience can chime in.

Kind regards,
    PM
    0 x
    Boloum

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:33 pm

Thank you post_modernism
    Any idea of what the side affects are and how long they last?
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Hey @Boloum

How did your husband get along with the Suboxone?
    Hope everything is well.
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Hey @Boloum here is a useful website that has details around the effects of Suboxone on individuals. Hope it helps and your husband is going okay :)
    https://www.nps.org.au/medicine-finder/ ... -mg-0-5-mg
    0 x
    Boloum

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 am

I'm struggling to be totally honest.
    He was put on a higher dose of valium than he usually takes and it's being decreased over a few days.ive been to one Drs apt with him and now have consent to access his gp myself. I have so many concerns. Especially on the interaction between valium and suboxen.
    Everything that I have read online leads to saying that it's really dangerous to mix them. If anyone can find me anything about how they interact and why she increased his dose I would be grateful to ease my worries until I can get in touch with her again.
    HE gets really drowsy and dozy. A bit of slurring if he doesn't go to sleep when he's tired. Or he can be chirpy and excited... Jesus it's a rollercoaster
    We have a 6 yr old and a nearly 8 yr old And I hate them seeing their dad like this. And I worry for their future as I never want them to have to go through this.
    I'm in a mess.
    1 x
    Tocaset

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:53 am

Hi Boloum

Give yourself credit for talking about, and reaching out

It must've been difficult for you to see your partner going through this treatment, also you did not want the children see him this way. It is not easy on you, but If you need to know about the symptoms or the Suboxone effects on your partner, you could go to this web-site www.adf.org.au. Also you could get medical advice from Nurse on call on1300606024 (in VIC) or Healthdirect on 1800022222( In NSW and other states)
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”