Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • When did you recognise you had a problem?

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Beach13

Re: When did you recognise you had a problem?

Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Tonight. After feeling so spaced out first waking up this morning to becoming nauseated until I took more pills tonight and magically lost all the nausea. Had major surgery a week ago - and coming down off pain patches, recovering and dealing with major depression.
    1 x
    Peonie

Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 am

Hi Beach 13

Peonie, one of the moderators here...checking in to see how you are this morning!
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi @Frangipanijazz just checking in to see how you are going? Has anything been working for you in terms of reducing your drinking or stopping - it's awesome for you to reach out here and get peer support. Support is sometimes THE way to start making a change - let us know how you're travelling and what's worked for you :)
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi @JA123# how are you going? It's so brave to tell your story and sometimes when we see it down in writing it hits home and then we feel that we can maybe move towards making a change. Hope that you are treating yourself better - drinking doesn't make you a bad person but a person that needs help.. do you agree? :)
    0 x
    Morgan44

Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Hey guys, I’m 25 and I’ve recently come to the realisation that I will never be able to drink in moderation. I have tried drinking the same types of alcohol, limiting myself to a certain number per night, filling up on non-alcoholic drinks before drinking, everything. It never works. I get anxiety if I don’t have enough booze to get drunk, I ask people to drive me to get more. Unless I’m passing out I won’t stop drinking. The past few weeks I’ve been drinking a lot more heavily (at the moment only on the weekend, but I have a history of drinking through the week as well). I’m realising it doesn’t matter what I try I will never have the kind of relationship with alcohol I’m craving because I don’t have a normal relationship with it. My intentions behind why I drink are not just to relax but to quite literally escape my own reality and that’s a big truth bomb to acknowledge among other things. I literally abandon myself every time I drink and I don’t want to treat myself like this any more. I’m ready for a change and even though I have relapsed every time I’ve tried to go sober in the past, I’m going to keep trying. Thank you for this forum, it’s amazing and inspiring to see everyone doing their best. Love you guys x
    1 x
    MalKumari
    Community Builder

Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi @Morgan44 :)

Welcome to the forum! We are so glad you reached out to our forum and joined our community! :D

It’s fantastic to see your knowledge on how to minimize your risk of harm and methods on how to cut down your consumption. It is also very apparent to me that you have a strong sense of self-awareness and are extremely driven to make this change!

However, considering what you have said in your post, it might be useful to speak to a trusted GP to help you on your recovery, if you’re comfortable to do so. A GP will provide you with advice on how to cut down your consumption and ensure you do this in a safe way.

Please keep updated on your story. We look forward to hearing about your journey!

@MalKumari
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”