Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:04 pm

heya @johnno good on you for sharing a little about yourself! Taking that first step of reaching out can be difficult, so hats off to you! These forums are a great space to find support and connection. You can start a thread of your own to check in and track how you're going, or have a look through some of or let's talks to find some info on a load of recovery related topics!

I can hear the determination in your words, which is fantastic! Just so you're aware, there can be side effects if we stop drinking cold turkey, so I'd always recommend reaching out to a trust GP just to ensure you're approaching it safely and have that bit of extra support!

Are there any strategies you're going to use at the moment to get the ball rolling?

I'm going to tag our peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW as they are full of some fantastic words of advice!
    1 x
    johnno

Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Thanks @Lhiver ! The strategies I have thought of include doing anything incompatible with booze (exercise, spending time with friends that don't drink, reading and journalling about my thoughts). Appreciate the connection to peer workers and I'll reach out to my GP. J
    2 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:22 am

Welcome to our newest members @Larissa Michelle, @macferg, @Bothango and @Ralphie!

In the forums you can connect with in a safe and non-judgemental space with other people going through similar experiences. You might like to have a look at the Peers for Peers section or begin your own thread.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves. You might want to share what brought you to the forums today?

Looking forward to hearing your stories. :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi @johnno........thanks for jumping on board, I look forward to hearing a bit more as we go.

The first thing I want to say is that the answer is definitely a resounding YES!!! After years of trying to turn things around and change my lifestyle it finally clicked and I realised what was involved..............and I've continued to do what is required for the last 6 years. I have a wonderful life and am the happiest I've ever been. Life still has it's moments but I don't need to drink to make it better or to help deal with what it throws at me. I'm not going to pretend and say it was easy.........but it was and is worth it.

I love that you're already willing to give back when you get to where you want to be.............it's sharing the journey with others that helped me get on track and more importantly it's what helps me stay on track. Giving back is the reminder I need to stay focused. Also great that I see you're focusing on exercise and hanging with positive influences..........it's sooooo important.

I guess part of what would be helpful to know as you move along is what you're trying and what's working.......what isn't? A drug and alcohol counsellor could be useful too. They'll help you with strategies and to gain and understanding of your triggers. The recommendation for talking to your GP is also a good one..........I wouldn't be where I am now without my GP.

There's many options and pathways forwards and within this network on here you'll find all sorts of great information. By reading other's stories you'll be able to identify things that may or may not work for you.

Please let me know how I can help...........I'm an open book and am happy to share my experiences, bounce ideas around and support as best I can.

Be sure to tag me in your posts if you want to chat or have any questions, etc
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:59 am

Welcome to our new members @Swallow , @Stargrace , @Eli7, @timetogetbetter and @treble

These forums are a judgement free space for you to share your story and connect to others. You can introduce yourself in this thread here, and maybe mention what brought you here and how we can support you!
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:18 am

Welcome to our newest member @Lubly!

Within this safe and non-judgemental space you can connect, share, be supported and support other people with similar experiences. We're all here to help and support each other, so please let us know if you have any questions we can help out with. Please feel free to post an intro about yourself, you might want to share if you have any hobbies or goals in joining in the forums we can support you with.

Looking forward to following your journey. :)
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:04 pm

Thanks so much for sharing @johnno, I remember wondering exactly the same thing when I got into recovery.

There was a part of me that thought I'd never have fun again! I just knew that I didn't have a choice and I had to stop using substances or something even worse than I could possibly imagine would happen.

In the beginning I felt like an empty shell, a blank canvas. My entire identity was wrapped up in substance use and without it I didn't really know who I was. Spending time with people from support groups, going out and trying to have fun without using was clunky and awkward at times but ultimately I ended up really enjoying the freedom of not having to use. I found that getting into recovery gave me my freedom of choice back, because I didn't wake up needing to use anything anymore I could choose what to do with my day. Life since then has just been trial and error, using that freedom of choice to have a crack at life, try new things, be open to making new mistakes and in the process discovering who I am and what I want my life to look like.

Today my life couldn't be any further away than where it was before I got into recovery and if you told me I would enjoy and love what I do today I'd think you were mad, but I absolutely love my life now and there's nothing any substance could give me that would come close to the incredible, exhilarating, loving, forfulling and adventurous experiences I've had in recovery.

So it is certainly a massive YES! from me :D
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:08 am

Welcome to our new member @Di-MM

The Counselling Online Forums are a safe, non-judgemental place for you to share your journey through recovery! Everyone here has lived experience and is here to offer support and advice.

You can use this thread to introduce yourself a little, maybe just start with your hobbies, goals or what bought you to the forums today :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:31 am

Welcome to the forums @Raziel , @Safari and @liljh21

These forums are a judgement free space for you to share your journey and connect with others!

You'll be able to find advice and support from others who have lived experience of the recovery journey.

When you feel ready you can write a little about yourself here in this thread, maybe start with your goals or what bought you to the forums today :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:18 am

Welcome to our newest members @btarzh, @Freedom Finders, @Bindiwaltis89 and @Kazmp!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourselves or ask any questions you might have. Within this forums you can share and connect with other people going through similar experiences and also our two wonderful peer workers. There's plenty of useful information around if you just feel like navigating the forums. You might want to check out the Peers for peers section or some of the threads in our Community Talk section.

Looking forward to following your journeys. :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:39 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Squishy11111, @Muffin99 and @RCarter!

In the forums you will find an incredibly supportive community you can connect with in a safe and non-judgemental environment. You might like to start navigating the forums going through the Peers for Peers section.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves, would be great to know what brought you here?

Looking forward to following your journeys. :)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Welcome to our newest members @kazmaree, @tasmaniandebil, @Vinamit119, @Jodi, @Shyrone manuera, @Hadenuff, @Kaine88, @1981 and @DementedDiurnal!

The forums are a safe and non-judgemental space to connect with other people going through similar experiences. You might like to have a look at the Peers for Peers section or begin your own thread.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves, would be great to know what brought you here or if you have any questions.

0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Welcome to our newest members @kazmaree, @tasmaniandebil, @Vinamit119, @Jodi, @Shyrone manuera, @Hadenuff, @Kaine88, @1981 and @DementedDiurnal!

The forums are a safe and non-judgemental space to connect with other people going through similar experiences. You might like to have a look at the Peers for Peers section or begin your own thread.
    Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves, would be great to know what brought you here or if you have any questions.

0 x

Return to “Change Makers”