Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Activities to do instead of drinking or using

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    AppleA

Re: Activities to do instead of drinking or using

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:14 am

So the meds help or?
    0 x
    izy3

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:23 am

Welcome to this forum @AppleA !
    I am one of the moderators on this forum.
    I hope you can get some useful tips and insights from other members and also share your own experiences.

In terms of medications, you may find this page helpful on "Medication’s role in coming off alcohol or drugs" :viewtopic.php?f=39&t=146&p=876&hilit=medication#p876.
    Medications themselves could supplement a psycho-social approach ( e.g developing other activities, exploring what is behind your drinking with psychologist/counsellor etc) ,
    however they are often recommended to be used in combination with the psycho-social one.

What kind of activities do you think you could do instead?
    izy3
    0 x
    Midge0z

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:52 pm

I drank for over 20 years. Drank till I blacked out every night and sometimes couple a three times a day. All I did in those years was drink and work. Once I quit the booze I had all this time on my hands. I soon figured out that if I didn't find something to do I'd sit around thinking of grog all day and night. I ended up buying myself a motorbike. Having ridden all my life it still gives me a buzz. When riding, without knowing it, you're practicing Mindfulness. You are in the moment. But it doesn't have to be motorbikes, just get involve in something you enjoy. For my Wife, it's pottering around the garden. A mate of mine (fellow alky) took up painting at age 59 and gets fully absorbed in that, loves it. I think you have to find something you really enjoy and if you think you have nothing then start a new Hobby. It could be painting, model plane assembly, jogging, pushbike, golf, learn a musical instrument or whatever. Your looking for something to become absorbed in. Peace .... Don
    2 x
    Vik

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:25 pm

So many great ideas in there @Midge0z! Thank you for sharing.

Saw in another thread a bit about your story! Sounds like you've been on a great journey with much to share.. hope to hear more about it some time :)
    1 x
    Gizelle

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Hello
    I find walking my dog helps. The dog is very happy 😊 I'm reading more too. Looking at online study. Alcohol has kept me numb for too long. A day at a time and positive self talk really helps.
    1 x
    Djarrimiri

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:23 pm

In the past I've replaced drinking with hiking (could hike in the evenings where I was living) and reading.
    During covid19 ... am worried how to do this/replace the itch during covid19. I have my own business and work from home. Not much has changed for me except I'm terrified to go out for a walk or for groceries. Any ideas?
    1 x
    hope123

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:49 pm

A few years ago I gave up drinking for 9 months. Every Friday night I got my husband to take me out for coffee and cake.

Having a good book to read before bed helps, as that is the time I would normally go for the alcohol.

I've tried the medications before Naltrexone, Acamprosite - They didn't seem to work for me. I didn't like the way they made me feel. A new gp recently said to me that it's 70% in the mind - and I do believe that. Perhaps I'll write myself a "script" to read to myself when my mind becomes irrational and convinces me that I need to drink. Something to re-program my own thought process at those times.
    1 x
    Tat

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:03 pm

Im new here so just testing to see if my messages are going through. Ive been enjoying reading the comments but struggling to add my own....
    1 x
    Tat

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Im new here so just testing to see if my messages are going through. Ive been enjoying reading the comments but struggling to add my own....
    1 x
    Mez28

Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi Tat,

Yes your post worked!
    1 x
    JDingo

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:11 pm

I have started playing adult, social evening sports which works a treat! Or just walking the dog, doing puzzles, learning pottery and cooking lovely meals (with a tonic water with lemon). I also have warm baths and watch movies. If I am struggling I just try to remember how AWESOME it feels to wake up with no hangover, nothing feels better than to snuggle in bed 100% sober.
    1 x
    Mez28

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:48 pm

I’ve started having a cup of tea (with a biscuit to dunk!) in the evenings... doesn’t sound like much but it works for me.

My son made me laugh. He said, what are ya, 60!!
    3 x
    Succulent

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:58 pm

For me it is video games and watching tv/youtube. And not waking up feeling like garbage and writing off the next day is a good motivator.
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:54 pm

That's definitely a good motivator @Succulent , great stuff :)
    0 x
    Red dog

Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Hello im reddog stopped drinking a week ago was wondering if medication helps been keeping busy mostly helping mrs, wathcing a lot of netflix .
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”