Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Relationships and Addiction!! Is it true what the majority say ??

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Junies

Relationships and Addiction!! Is it true what the majority say ??

Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:50 pm

I seem to be a super magnetised sucker for all that is bad/traumatic and painfully excruciatingly, ugly and vile, whilst walking this path of shadow dominated addiction. I’m a newbie to it all and for the most part feel way in over my head. Childishly, foolishly, ignorantly and unwisely wearing my heart upon my sleeve for the majority of my 32years and raised in a very different world I’m repeatedly knocked down, pulled down, walk right into repeated entrapments (sometimes by my own doing) and then wonder why I’m finding it harder and more painful to rise above, overcome and climb out of the deep pit that I’ve banished and sentenced myself to! Knowing at the same time “this is not who I am or who I was, What the flipping frick are you doing?”. I’ve limited so many relationships I’m pretty much down to two main supports which isn’t good, one my parent; the other a drug connection, semi long term, complicated situationship; which started off amazing a new and charming and exciting however whatever the circumstances surrounding the approx 2 week or month “honeymoon” phase was exchanged rapidly to a relationship that at my very core terrifies me, with all variables of apparent issues and insecurities, shocking communication and trust, double standards galore and tit for tat... to top it all off the inability to self reflect and then take accountability and responsibility for each Individuals “poopoo” AAAAAHHHH.... Is this a common scenario? Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Is the relationship even at all genuine, true or real???
    Would love to hear experiences or thoughts and opinions
    🙏🏽 thank you .....
    1 x
    Vik

Re: Relationships and Addiction!! Is it true what the majority say ??

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Junies, welcome and thank you very much for sharing your story.

I know it feels like you've isolated yourself, but I wonder if you'd be suprised how well it might go if you reached out to an old friend? There may be others here who can give you some advice about having a "situationship" (love that term!) similar to what it sounds like you're in right now.

But I wondered if you've thought about some kind of goals at the moment for how you'd like things to change? what might that look like?

Take care
    2 x
    Gizelle

Re: Relationships and Addiction!! Is it true what the majority say ??

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:47 am

Love the word situationship. I hope you are doing ok Junies. Be your own best friend. Addictions suck but can be overcome. Sending positive healing to you. I'm confronting an alcohol addiction. One day at a time with a structure of things to do seems to help a lot.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”