Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Finally kicked through 21 days no booze n on.....

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    Simply me

Finally kicked through 21 days no booze n on.....

Sat May 08, 2021 6:02 am

Heylo Folks,
    Has been a while since I've touched base here. I was caught in a cycle of hitting about 21 days no booze, n then I'd bust. Do a couple of days on, and then pick up the pieces and begin again. It was kinda exhausting and frustrating. It also brought up shame, and vulnerable rawness, thus I felt unable to speak up for a whiles. However, have now kicked through the 21 day wall, and am just under 2 months off it! Thank gawdess!

I think the turning point came when as a folk herbalist, I decided to clear out of my apothecary, of all and any medicines that contained even small amounts of alcohol, including flower essences. This meant there was no booze in the house. I have instead turned to herbal teas and will now make my tinctures from glycerine, a soy byproduct. In case anyone wants to take herbal tinctures without what I found to be the re-triggering effects, these are a viable alternative and you can ask for them at health food stores, and with some practitioners. Flower essences which can be so great for emotional and spiritual issues, can be made with just water and worked with relatively quickly, or using part apple cider vinegar as a preservative.

I am finding I'm craving sugar and sweet things, which I gather is not uncommon.

Creatively, I've been drawing again, after a long pause. Lovely feeling. A series of pictures around herbs, and the meanings / symbology of the phases of the Moon and Seasons. Partly as I'm attempting to track the relationships between these natural rhythms and my moods, and the stuff I hear that others don't. Looking for patterns I guess. For me feeling difficult emotions /distress are big triggers to pick up, so any understandings of aligning with processing them I can gain is useful.

I've begun hand stitching another patchwork shawl, this one botanically dyed with Rose leaves and Eucalyptus. The weed and the indigenous meet, as they do, this time rather harmoniously. Its getting there, with pauses betwixt sewing. I love listening to audio books while I craft. I find it challenging to focus long enough to read, so this way I get the info, and I can listen repeatedly. Each time something different gels. In fact I have realized that I find focusing challenging overall. I jump from tangent to tangent often, so I'm trying to allow this to be, and work with it, by having several projects on the go.

The Yin yoga class I attend with a friend, and now my partner sometimes, is something I look forward to each week. Yet to get a regular home practice happening, but that's the intention. I find it a beautiful way to 'take a break' which is something I definitely need in my toolbox!

Well that's probably enough from me in the now. Thanks for listening :)
    Blessings n good vibes...
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: Finally kicked through 21 days no booze n on.....

Sat May 08, 2021 11:43 am

heya @Simply me ,

It's really great to hear from you again! I'm sorry to hear that you've been having a difficult time recently. It can be really hard to break those cycles, especially when they bring up such difficult emotions, which as you say, can be really triggering and bring up those urges to drink. I'm really glad you took some time for yourself and have made it to nearly 2 months! That's great work!

Removing all alcohol from your house is a really good plan, especially if you're able to use other products to use for your tinctures. Also, its really good to hear you're recognising those triggers. Even though you have been having a difficult period, you've clearly been working really hard in your recovery and that perseverance is inspiring to read.

You sound like you've got a lot of really great hobbies to focus on right now. I love the idea of a naturally dyed shawl, it's such a beautiful way to build a strong connect to native and introduced flora! What audio books have you been listening to lately? any god recommendations?

I'm looking forward to an update! :D
    0 x
    Simply me

Re: Finally kicked through 21 days no booze n on.....

Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 am

Thanks for welcome back @Lhiver
    I'm a bit of a nonfiction type when it comes to audio books.....

Currently listening to 'The Witches Book of Self Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe and Care for your Body and Spirit' by Arin Murphy-Hiscock, after her ' The Green Witch'. They're both very gentle. I find them comforting and affirming....

For any stitchers, or crafters, a while back I listened to and enjoyed 'Threads of Life : A History of the World Through the Eye of a Needle' by Clare Hunter. Very interestingk, with as I remember it chapters around sewing and mental health, fella's who embroider including veterans....

I love the work of Sharon Blackie, like 'If Women Rose Rooted: The Journey to Authenticity and Belonging'. In this she weaves her and other women's personal stories in with connecting into her Gaelic n land roots, living in Ireland, Scotland and the Connemara. Myths and traditional tales are retold in the process. Quite full on in the beginning in regards to the 'wasteland' of environmmental and cultural degradation in dominant paradigms, but she bends it round to a call and inspiration....

They're my go to's in the now....of a tangent, which I guess is natural.....
    0 x

Return to “Alcohol”