Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    TheDees

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sat May 01, 2021 11:17 am

Heya @Alvarosyd ,

This is all so great to hear! You should give yourself a massive pat on the back for reaching out and getting that support! It sounds like your friends are being really great, which really does make the journey easier! Good luck at your sports tournament! Hopefully the weather stays good for it! :)
    0 x
    TheDees

Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 am

Heya @HappyCJR , @pippi and @Em1821 ,

Welcome to the forum! This is a space to share your stories and to give and receive support and strategies from others who are also going through recovery!

This weekend we have some activities coming up

Today we have Trivia and 3 Things to Look Forward to

Tomorrow we'll be having share your favourite joke, for World Day of Laughter!

When you feel ready you can introduce yourselves here! Looking forward to hearing from you :mrgreen:
    0 x
    Xr81

Sun May 02, 2021 11:46 am

Hi. Im 59 and I used to drink about 4 times a week. But when I did I'll drink an entire bottle of spirits myself. I was recently diagnosed with a borderline enlarged heart. Tests showed no other reason for it other than my alcohol abuse. There is the possibility it will not get worse if I stop and with propper diet and exercise it may if im lucky not effect me. At present I dont have heart failure symptoms. It was discovered after I had a serious fall down a flight of stairs drunk, and I had xrays for broken bones.
    Since then, that was 12 weeks ago my drinking has decreased to twice a week but im not happy with that and need to stop otherwise ill destroy myself. How many times iv said to myself that was the last time iv lost count. But this time im determined to succeed. I hope coming here is the start of it as this is the first time iv admitted it to anyone other than the dr who had me diagnosed.
    So here's hoping that from today its over with. I know the battle will be on going and expect that but im just sick and tired of drinking to oblivion.
    0 x
    TheDees

Sun May 02, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi @Xr81,

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for sharing your story with us. It takes courage to reach out, so good job on speaking out here.

I'm really sorry about your recent diagnose. Seems like its had a very big impact on you. Unfortunately, there are many risks associated with alcohol. Well done on cutting down your drinking to half, from 4 to 2 days a week for the past 12 weeks. That's a great start, however its very important that you talk to your GP on how to go about it in a safe way because there's also some risks involved when abstaining completely from alcohol after drinking for a very long time. Don't beat yourself up for the relapsing in the past, lapses and relapses are part of the process. Have a read at this post in the blog on 'How to move on from relapse', there's some tips you might find useful. You've come to the right place for support, a lot of people use the forums as a journal to maintain themselves accountable. I know speaking about this is hard but hopefully you'll get some motivation from reading other people's stories in the forum and we're here to cheer for you along the way.

Please keep us posted on how're going. We look forward to accompanying you in your recovery journey.

:)
    1 x
    TheDees

Sun May 02, 2021 1:31 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Softpumpkin, @Cmonletsgo, @Sarahrose1991, @Fatih and @Seraphina.

Let us know if you have any questions about navigating through the forums.

When you're ready, feel free to post an intro below.

We look forward to hearing from you.

The Team
    :)
    0 x
    Xr81

Sun May 02, 2021 4:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome Dees
    1 x
    TheDees

Sun May 02, 2021 4:57 pm

Most welcome @Xr81.
    8-)
    0 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Mon May 03, 2021 11:23 am

Welcome to our newest members @autumnal, @Carly567, @newstart2021, @RHAlife, @Prism1 and @just another addict!

Within the forums you'll find some useful information, stories of others with similar experiences and the support of the community.

Please feel free to post an intro below or tell us a bit what has brought you to the forums.

You can also join us in our weekly activities:
    Mondays
    Monday Meetup from 8pm to 10pm AEST
    Saturdays
    Turning the negative into positive
    3 things to look forward to
    Sundays, 3 pm ADST onwards
    Share your favourite quotes
    Today I’m grateful for

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or suggestions,
    Peace Dove
    0 x
    Softpumpkin

Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm

I don't know how to post a reply, but we are all telling each other's story and that's so important because we know we are not the only ones going through this alone, thank God l have found this counselling. L hope l learn to share properly, l went to one AA meeting and l was just too shy in person to take part, thankyou everyone
    4 x
    teapot

Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm

@Softpumpkin it can be really hard to open up to a stranger about our experiences. Good on you for meeting us here, it's a great place to start and I hope that you find the support here helpful :)
    1 x
    Softpumpkin

Mon May 03, 2021 8:33 pm

Thankyou teapot, this is the first time lve tried getting sober, l guess the way to start is to acknowledge the problem and l have been very hesitant to do so, l had a bad weekend and I think enough is enough, l have to be brave
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat May 08, 2021 11:08 am

Welcome to our new members @Misato , @Sam144 , @Supralibros and @jackdog!

This is a space for sharing your story regarding recovery! You can connect with others who are also going through their own recovery journeys, share tips and techniques to stay on track and generally support each other.

We have some great threads that you might like to check out, such as our Peers for Peers section, which you can find viewforum.php?f=49.

We also have some weekend activities coming up this week!

Today we have Turning Negatives to Positives
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=419

And on Sunday we'll be sharing Things we're grateful for
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=422

I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forums!
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat May 08, 2021 5:07 pm

heya @Cooper92 , @CaseyLee1 and @Focused ☀

Welcome to the Counselling Online Forum!

This is a space were you can share you experiences of addiction and recovery, share tips and tricks for staying on track and give and receive support from others within the community!

I look forward to hearing your stories! :D
    0 x
    Andy_11543

Sat May 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi all,
    Functioning alcoholic, don't drink at all during the week but get completely smashed at any opportunity. Skilled Surfer and runner also running my own business but want to give up making a complete clown of my self on the piss. I have an awesome wife who has put up with this shit for too long.
    Grand Dad was a Alcoholics Anonymous member and dad is a piss head, so it runs in the family.
    Andrew
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat May 08, 2021 6:33 pm

heya @Andy_11543 ,

Welcome to the forum! first off, congratulations for reaching out and sharing your story. It sonds like you've got a lot of motivation for your recovery, which is fantastic! Have you had a chance to look around the forum? There are some great threads to connect to other users, such as our Peers for Peers space viewforum.php?f=49.

Are there any techniques you are planning on using to help in these early days?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”