Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Catster

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Hi Mel, well done for what you’ve already achieved and for wanting to do something about alcohol being in your life. Sorry about your past. The future can be what we want it to be when hopefully this virus buggers off!

My name is Jess and I guess some people around me would be surprised about my unhealthy dependency on alcohol. My family know the truth yet when I’ve tried to tell my friends I’m worried by my drinking they minimise my habit to just being a fun person and because I don’t drink daily I therefore don’t have a problem. They’re wrong. I don’t like not remembering what’s happened the night before.

I have an addictive personality too (food, booze, over exercising). Doing the modules and looking around this website today, it’s dawned on me how anxious I am as a person. I work in community and human services & have a psychology degree and I have just realised I dont allow myself to be anything but confident and on point which is a complete lie. It’s not how I feel on the inside at all. I mask my anxiety in social settings by drinking before I get there. I may not always drink during the week but come the weekend I like to block out the previous week by ‘rewarding my hard work’ with booze. It’s all BS. I’m only fooling myself. I’m not feeling sorry for myself, I’m actually feeling a bit excited to try and take control and to wake up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and feel good while out exercising rather than feeling hungover and disconnected. Ive set myself a small goal and some things to do to help me avoid drinking by myself at home.
    0 x
    Renae38

Alone

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:42 am

How to stay off drugs
    0 x
    KS_

Fri May 01, 2020 10:55 am

KS_ wrote:
    Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 pm
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    8 days since my incident, not a drop of alcohol, no cravings to speak of which I was expecting. Small issue with anxiety on Monday but i was meeting with a lawyer and was processing the whole thing.
    Feeling great so far, though it's early days.
    Been a little bit between visits to the forums for me. Truth is I have been going along really well since my last update. I really thought that I would struggle to refrain from drinking alcohol.
    I thought that the COVID lockdown might affect my journey somewhat, however I have been lucky to be working as normal, if not busier than usual at work which is keeping my mind busy!
    I initially thought that I would struggle to talk face to face with friends (or not at all even) about my issues and the incident which triggered it all, however I have been exceptionally fortunate to find two friends who I have really been able to connect with and talk about my feelings and thoughts without any judgement or feeling of guilt. This is something that I am so grateful to have and I honestly think that this is probably the best thing you can find to help you through your own journey also.
    I am struggling to focus a bit with TAFE studies, not being able to attend face to face classes is a real issue. Online zoom meetings don't really work for me. Too many distractions at home with the kids around.
    The extra time at home has allowed my wife and I to spend some quality time in the yard, cleaning up the gardens, building a veggie patch with the kids.
    Mountain biking has always been a pretty big thing for me, since taking it up 7 years ago I've loved every minute on the trails, of late iv'e found it a little difficult to get out on my own, but the girls love a ride too so enjoy scooting round town and the local golf course tracks.
    My court date was pushed back a month because of COVID, this was a bit frustrating as I just wanted to be able to put it all behind me, but it is what it is and I can't change that.

I will check in again next week after court.

Be safe.
    1 x
    izy3

Fri May 01, 2020 11:32 am

Hi @KS_

It is so great to hear from you about how you have been travelling.
    I am so glad that you have been doing really well with drinking and spending quality time with your wife and beautiful daughters.
    A variety of outdoor activities you do with them sounds lovely, which seems to help you feel good under lockdown and remind you of how important your family is for you.

Also It is your real asset that you have got 2 friends who you can trust and have honest and open conversations with.
    Having such friends is always a wonderful support for you to get through difficult time as well as for your life in general.

I know that it is a bit frustrating that the court date has been put of but you know it will surely happen, just a matter of time and many people experience that.

Very looking forward to hearing your update soon.
    Take care.
    2 x
    Alco

Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi I’m new here. 40 year old female. Mum of a 4 year old and twin babies. I drink a bottle of wine most nights. Can’t seem to go more than 2-3 nights without it. Once I start I can’t stop until that bottle is finished. It had gotten worse over the past couple of years. I don’t seem to have an off switch. I want to break the cycle. :(
    2 x
    Calvino01

Tue May 05, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi @Alco

Welcome to the forums! good on you for reaching out! That is always the first step.
    There is help out there, I'm glad you have come to the forums, its a great place to read others experiences and also receive some advice and support during this time.
    0 x
    Phynix

Tue May 05, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi I'm Phynix, I'm a married mum to a beautiful little 14 month girl and want to be the best example to her. Lately ive been abusing alcohol, using it like a coping method as I'm h having problems with my husband. I'm so disappointed with myself and ashamed of my actions. Hoping to get some help here.
    0 x
    Bear33

Wed May 06, 2020 10:37 am

Hi Phynix,

I'm Bear33, one of the CounsellingOnline forum moderators. First of all, welcome to the forums! I hope you find this a helpful space to chat about what's been going on for you and find some support here. It's very normal to look for ways to cope with difficult situations such as the one you're in, I'm sure lots of people on this forum can relate, and hopefully people will feel comfortable to share that here too. You're definitely not in this alone. Feel free to look around the forum topics and see if there's any conversations that might interest you :)

Take care and all the best

Bear33
    0 x
    Breaking1t

Fri May 15, 2020 7:32 am

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and I just want to say what a great website and how simple for almost anyone I'd say. Taking my first steps to get some support to link with was painless and I am feeling quite relieved after speaking with the councilor online.
    Look forward to sharing my story and experiences.
    Have a lovely day
    1 x
    izy3

Fri May 15, 2020 9:41 am

Hi @Breaking1t , welcome to this forum!

You took a lot of courages to come here, which is a great first step you have already taken.
    I hope you will find this forum helpful, feel understood and supported. Please share you experiences as well.
    1 x
    Mitzy

Sat May 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Just joined today needing to cut back on alcohol it’s affecting my relationship with my children and husband.
    Didn’t realise it had got so out of hand . My son is the most affected he is 20 and hates it when I have too much to drink which was nearly every day now cut down for a month but had a blowout the other night and the shit hit the fan. Trying hard to cut down to acceptable levels. Easier than it sounds, feel like they don’t understand how hard I’m trying and how hard it is.
    0 x
    Mez28

Mon May 18, 2020 10:49 am

Hi Mitzy, I just joined yesterday and your post was the first one I read and I swear that it was me that had written it!.
    In the same boat as you and it came to a head on the weekend with husband saying he'd have to remove himself from the relationship if I continued with my drinking so getting on this is the first step!
    1 x
    Mez28

Mon May 18, 2020 10:58 am

Hi, I'm Mez, married with two teenagers and I'm drinking way more than I should.
    Stumbled onto this site yesterday and so pleased I did.
    I know I will get the help and information I need and will hopefully get the courage to speak to a counsellor.
    1 x
    Melody12

Mon May 18, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi Mez,
    Welcome to the forum. Its good that you have found this forum. There is a lot of information along with member support here. Many people find sharing along the way helpful.

Cheers,

Melody12
    0 x
    Mitzy

Tue May 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi Mez28 , how are you going with it all. I’ve managed to cut back again to sort of ok levels but still too much. My husband gave up drinking 10 years ago for reasons I won’t go into here. So he thinks I should be just like him but we are totally different . I’ve been using alcohol for so long I find it hard not to drink. I’ve had a chat to the counsellor on here and they have given me a phone number to call. Haven’t used it yet. I’m scared!!. I have one good friend to talk to but she’s also got issues in her family life and I don’t want to add to her burdens, although she is there for me. I’m hoping support and chat on here will give me the courage to change. Thank you .
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”