Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • To the loved ones of an addict - From an Addict

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    apples123

Re: To the loved ones of an addict - From an Addict

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Hello All..

Haven't been on here for a while.. but I am pleased to say I have been clean, off meth for 418 days now... yes it was 12 months in Aug... it still seems like it was yesterday...

The struggle is still there.
    I still think about it every day.
    I'm scared I'll get to a really low point and relapse..

But I know I can do this. 418 really hard days.. just seeing the number of days increase every morning is what is keeping me going...
    2 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:41 pm

@apples123

That is incredible !
    You are stronger that you think.
    What were some things that helped you to stay clean for 418 days? Do you mind sharing?

Lady Bug
    1 x
    apples123

Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:51 pm

Thank you...

Things that helped me was just watching the number on the sober app I have on my phone; increase everyday has helped me. I know that may seem small, but 1 day at a time.

Meditation and finding myself again.. lots of self care and self love.. knowing its ok for me to take time for me and say no to others without feeling guilty..

Its hard but worth it.

I do miss it - honestly I do.. but I know I'm better without it.
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:09 pm

That's awesome @apples123
    Which app is that you use?

You may find you will miss it for a long time, and its okay to miss it.... But its about staying strong and true to yourself.
    You are such a valuable member to have on these forums @apples123, because people aspire to be where you are. You have overcome so much hardships to get here. Thanks for coming on here and being so open <3
    0 x
    apples123

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Thank you for your kind words.

I don't feel like an inspiration but I guess if I can help just one person, that does make me happy.

I use an app called sober from Google play store. There are lots of different apps but this one was free, no ads and gives me a quote every morning.
    1 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:36 pm

That's right, even reaching one person and helping them find the motivation and strength to change their lives is an achievement, and one you should feel proud of.
    Amazing thanks for the tip! I presume its also for all substances, drugs and alcohol which is very helpful for people.

Lady Bug
    1 x
    apples123

Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:59 pm

Yes the app could be used for cutting out sugar - anything really. Just watching the days increase and achieving the 1 month, 2 month, 3 month mark etc is really satisfying..
    5 x
    forest
    Community Builder

Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 am

Hey @apples123 ,

Firstly congratulations on your recovery streak, it must be very rewarding to watch the numbers go up on the app! A bit like striking through days on a calendar but more convenient!

Just wondering if you have any other tips you'd like to share?

Take care and remember to do something nice for yourself today :)
    1 x
    apples123

Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi @forest

Thanks for your message.

I did see a counsellor every fortnight and talked through things that were linked to my addiction, that is vital.

Having another focus or challenge is also a good distraction like studying something you love - im learning all about essential oils and the benefits they have.
    1 x
    AnnAnn
    Community Builder

Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi @apples123 , congratulation on your outstanding achievements, the satisfaction of watching the numbers go up must be fulfilling, knowing that you are winning against the 'devil' inside! Thank you for your suggestion of the Sober app as well, I'm sure other members will find this app useful for them and their recovery journey. Can you share with us your self-care strategies during your recovery? You're definitely becoming an inspiration for many others in the community. Keep us updated!

Congrats!
    0 x
    forest
    Community Builder

Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:32 am

Hey again @apples123

You're definitely right about the benefits of speaking with a counsellor who is able to help you talk about different aspects of addiction. It's so great to hear that this has been a helpful strategy for you - hopefully it encourages other forum members to seek counselling of their own (if they feel they need it).

I hope you're having a good week so far and that you're putting your essential oil knowledge to good use!

Hopefully hear from you again soon :)
    1 x

Return to “Friends and family”