Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • When do you know for sure theres a problem?

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Re: When do you know for sure theres a problem?

Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:11 pm

Hi [mention]Starlee[/mention]

We haven't heard from you in a while... How is everything going with the situation at home?

Hope you're well.
    0 x
    Starlee

Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:35 pm

[mention]tacocat[/mention]
    Hi, it’s been a hard week. While hubby admitted he had a problem he’s not willing to get help and keeps deflecting so I feel he’s just told us what we want to hear to get us off his back. At the moment he’s acting like nothings happened, nothings wrong and although has been happy & ok we are hitting day 4 where he will usually have a drink again. So we’re all sitting and waiting anxiously. Is it possible he could change after years of drinking without any help at all or am I being naive? I’m finding it really hard to be supportive and encouraging on the good days as I feel numb and in fight mode so basically emotionless. I’ve been reading the love over addiction podcast transcripts and they’re really good.
    0 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi [mention]Starlee[/mention]

Admitting you have an issue is definitely a big step in the right direction. However, following this up with action and support is the next step. It sounds like that is what's missing from the equation here, which is causing you distress.
    To answer your question, is it possible to give up a long-term drinking problem without help... yes, it is possible to give up without support, but it is very difficult. Normally we would want to see a 'relapse prevention plan' in place to avoid relapse.
    Unfortunately this leaves you in a place where you are aware pieces of the puzzle are missing. The tension must be exhausting... We've all got our fingers crossed for you during this time.

Please continue to use us for support any time you need it.
    1 x

Return to “Friends and family”