Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Please help

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    Dani85

Please help

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 am

My partner wants my help to get off ice. I'm not a drug user myself I'm scared and I don't know what steps to take to help him. What is my first step, do I take him to a doctor? Please help I'm desperate I don't know what to do
    0 x
    Firehorse

Re: Please help

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:51 am

Hi Dani85,
    Thank you for reaching out yes it can be scary trying to find supports and knowing what to . Its great your partner is ready to seek out support to assist getting off ice, Going to a GP can be a great health step also there is a 24hr support line called Ice Advice PH:1800 422 238 supporting partners, family members and support and referral information and treatment pathways for the person using .
    0 x
    forest
    Community Builder

Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 am

Hi @Dani85

Just wanted to check in to see how you're going and if you're partner has made any steps towards cutting down his ice use?

@Firehorse is right, the best people to help you with info on treatment pathways are healthcare professionals and trained drug counsellors. If you feel more comfortable with online communication, Counselling Online has a 24/7 chat service where they may be able to point you in the right direction. You can find out more about it here https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/ho ... counsellor

But if you want to vent or connect with others who have similar experiences, the forum is a great starting point. We'd love to hear some updates from you!
    0 x
    Leonarda
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi @Dani85

It looks like you are getting plenty of support here on the forum and thank you for reaching out too. This platform is really great for communicating with others who might be going through the same thing as you and your partner and as the other supporters have suggested, there is plenty of help out there.
    Here are some links or phone numbers for you as a resource too:

Headspace https://headspace.org.au/

Lifeline 13 11 14 or Ice Advice/DirectLine 1800 888 236 for confidential counselling and support.
    0 x
    Boloum

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:06 pm

I just want to say good luck to you! It's great he has reached out for help and that you are willing to help him... you have come this far to ask so you are trying to help.
    I have no idea what your journey will be like but I wish you all the best!
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”