Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Introduce yourself here - friends and family

For friends and family of people with substance problems. Connect with others here to share support and advice today.
    Deyfhob

Re: Introduce yourself here - friends and family

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 am

Hi I’m not even sure if this will post to the correct place as I’m very new here and have only just found this. Ex Ice Addict who has been clean 14 months. Haven’t used professional help just really wanted to stop so I did. Won’t go too much into it just in case I’m not posting it in the correct place however am really hoping I am and hoping I have found a supportive place to continue to improve myself
    0 x
    TheDees

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 am

Hi @Deyfhob yes it is the correct place. Good on you for been clean its not easy, shows dedication and commitment. it is great to be able to talk about it and feel supported as well as support others. What has worked for you staying clean? what is still working for you? Take care and welcome. :-)
    0 x
    Deyfhob

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:01 am

Hi @TheDees thanks so much, it’s definitely not easy but I also feel a sense of accomplishment and pride. What has worked for me, I hit very much rock bottom before I realised I needed to get clean, so not wanting to go back there again helps, but also wanting to be “normal” again. A term I use very loosely, I can honestly say I really did just make a promise to myself that I wasn’t ever going to touch ice again and I have kept that promise. But other than that I don’t really know this is so new for me and something I have only spoken with less than a handful of people about so not something I have put a lot of thought into
    0 x
    Deyfhob

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:05 am

@TheDees i struggle the most with the damage I have done to myself and in particular my teeth, I find it hard because of this to leave the house, attend school meetings for my kids or other appointments for myself and am quite lost on how to help myself in getting the help I need to repair them. I definitely cannot afford private dental and really struggling at the moment with that
    0 x
    TheDees

Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:45 am

Yeah @Deyfhob using drugs has so many negative impacts in many areas of your life as you have realised. But the positive thing is that you have taken steps to make changes. It would be worth calling your local drug and alcohol telephone service and see whats available. What state are you in? or you can google, drug and alcohol info/counselling in your state. It is never to late to turn things around, which you have started to do, so keep going, you are doing amazing as it is such a challenging process
    0 x
    Deyfhob

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 am

@TheDees i agree 100% the negative effects are huge and unfortunately when you’re in the grips of addiction it’s not something you think about. I’m in Victoria
    0 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:16 pm

@Deyfhob it might be worth checking out some community health centres in your surrounding area. It can be a wait for an appointment sometimes but there is options for cheap dental work. I'm not sure if you have a healthcare card but if you do they can do some free work sometimes based on that. Can't hurt to call them and have a chat
    0 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:29 pm

Hi @Help21

Have you thought about starting some counselling for yourself first? Working with a counsellor to put some strategies and boundaries in place could be a good spot to start and maybe your partner will start thinking about his own use? It might just help start some conversations...as we all know this stuff takes time but if you can plant some seeds along the way eventually he might jump on board.

Just a thought...........let me know how you go if you give it a try
    1 x
    Deyfhob

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:44 pm

@Craig PW

Have actually done just that today and have an appointment Monday . Very excited and happy about the appointment and some other info I was given regarding future dental work
    0 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:04 pm

Great to hear @Deyfhob !!!

Awesome that you got a quick appointment too!

There's a lot to be said for being able to have pride in your appearance. Damage can be repaired.......might not ever look brand new but it can be improved.

Hopefully feeling a bit better about yourself will help you get out a bit more

What are you looking forward to doing most when you start getting out and about again?
    0 x
    TheDees

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Hi @Treasure ,

I just wanted to follow up and see how you have been? It sounds like you have been having an incredibly difficult time with your sibling, especially following the deaths of your parents. Thank you for sharing your story, it shows incredible strength. How has the NarAnon group been? That's a wonderful way to build a community of support not only for yourself but for others who are also supporting friends and family members struggling with addiction. I look forward to getting an update!

TheDees
    0 x
    Deyfhob

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:59 am

@Craig PW

Probably meeting new people and being able to talk and smile more. Attending things at my children’s school and not be afraid to open my mouth. Get a job and EAT OUT
    1 x
    Tiredwife

Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:39 am

I’m new here, My husband’s drinking has been a problem for a long time but it has continued to escalate. We have a 5 year old son. He recognises he has a problem but refuses to seek help, thinks he has to do it on his own and asking for help is a weakness. The drinking is impacting on all his relationships including with friends. The older our son gets the more aware he is becoming of the situation. There is a limit to how much longer I can stay in this situation. I’m looking for ways to encourage him to seek support but also set and stick to boundaries to protect myself and my son from the emotional impact.
    1 x
    Pinky

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:11 am

Hi and welcome @Tiredwife , good on you for reaching out today...it sounds like a tricky situation and must be draining for you. Hopefully the peer support on here will be supportive and help with the situation.

Regards Pinky (mod)
    0 x
    TheDees

Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:04 am

hey @Zoe Skye , @Amsy , @Cjess , @Hatemylife ,

Welcome to the Counselling Online forums. This is a space to share your stories and support each other through the ups and downs of recovery.

When you feel comfortable, feel free to share your stories!

TheDees :D
    0 x

Return to “Friends and family”